AutoControls.org #658 Pt 1/3: S Ga. Auto.Block w/RR-Concepts SIM
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 10, 2008
A. SUMMARY: This three-part YouTube video shows the operation of an S gauge automatic block, showing it controlling 2 trains on the same track. The block uses a RR Concepts (http://rr-concepts.com) 'Switching Interface Module' (aka SIM) to operate the current-switching to do the stopping and starting.
B. RELATED LINKS:
* Pt 1/3: (this video) - Part 1 covers (1) Switching Interface Module, (2) Reed Switches (sensors), and (3) Magnets.
* Pt 2/3: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ll1sOX2Cs1Q - Part 2 covers (4) Sensor Activation, (5) Wiring Diagram, (6) Block Locations, (7) Sensor Locations, and (8) Operation with 2 can-motor engines.
* Pt 3/3: http://youtube.com/watch?v=grk1LoGS9M4 - Part 3 covers (8 cont) Operation (continued), (9) Operation w/1 vintage Flyer engine and 1 can-motor engine, and (10 Operation w/2 vintage Flyer engines.
* http://track2.com/ingram/plans/s142/1... - web page documentation for this single-track automatic block.
* Please visit the AutoControls "VIDEO INDEX PAGE" at http://AutoControls.org , for a list of LINKS to ALL automatic controls videos (approximately 12), arranged in suggested viewing order.
=== C. ADDITIONAL COMMENTS ABOUT THE CONTROL SYSTEM
The automatic block keeps the 2 trains "spaced apart" on the loop. If a faster train starts to overtake a slower train, the block stops the faster train and delays it, until the slower train "regains" the spacing between trains. Rheostats are used as a crude, but simple and effective method of slowing down the trains as they enter the block, and "cushioning" their start as they start-up to exit the block.
The 'Switching Interface Module' is essentially a DPDT (Double Pole, Double Throw) latching relay, with added screw-connection terminals, plus voltage regulation that allows you to use a range of input voltages to power it; 6 to 20 volts AC, or 6 to 20 volts DC.
The relay can switch any current, AC, DC, or DCC. This demonstration was done using using two unmodified vintage American Flyer engines with the original AC motors, an S-Helper diesel with a DC motor, and a DCC decoder-equipped American Flyer 283 Pacific. This demonstration was done using a DC transformer, since all these engines can "happily" operate on DC current.
Activation of the relay is done using RR-Concepts-supplied magnets and reed switches. The magnets can be "stuck" to the bottom of an American Flyer car, since they will stick to the car's metal floor. Note that the magnets I used on the bottom of the American Flyer cars were the RR Concepts magnets they sell for LargeScale. (They also supply smaller magnets to use with HO trains.)
RR Concepts (operated by a gentleman named Curtis Roeckes in Oceanside CA) has been supplying electronic modules for LargeScale trains since about 1992.
This iMovie video was assembled by JamesRobertIngram.com for AutoControls.org (description updated 12/13/2009).
Standard YouTube License
- 7:14 AutoControls.org #658 Pt 2/3: S Ga. Auto.Block w/RR-Concepts SIMby James R. Ingram 6,064 views
- 9:44 AutoControls.org #658 Pt 3/3: S Ga. Auto.Block w/RR-Concepts SIMby James R. Ingram 3,228 views
- 9:08 HOW-TO: Dwarf Signals, part 1by spazman13579 9,126 views
- 4:29 How to install easy reliable model train track wiring on your layoutby ModelRailroaderMag 75,652 views
- 8:03 Model Railway Soldering for DCCby OurModelRailway 39,695 views
- 25 videos Play all Playlist #1, AutoControls.orgby jim17701pa
- 1:52 Model Railroad Signaling System Part 8-1 (鉄道模型の信号制御回路)by tohrus08 1,883 views
- 9:42 AutoControls.org #661 Pt 2/3: DCC-BitSwitch Overview Fred Hughesby James R. Ingram 5,255 views
- 6:42 AutoControls.org #656: Susq S Gaugers 2007 Steamup, Auto Controlby James R. Ingram 13,737 views
- 8:22 AutoControls.org #664 Pt 1/4: RR Concepts StationMasterby James R. Ingram 661 views
- 7:00 Model Railroad VLog: Wiring: Part 1by thebige61 63,268 views
- 2:24 Building a Model Railroad Series #5--Wiring & Command Controlby GreenFrogVideos 42,664 views
- 9:53 AutoControls.org #655: 2-Track Model 206 Auto. Yard LGB Displayby James R. Ingram 5,710 views
- 20:00 AutoControls.org #664 Pt 2/4: RR Concepts StationMasterby James R. Ingram 410 views
- 10:35 AutoControls.org #661 Pt 1/3: DCC-BitSwitch Overview Fred Hughesby James R. Ingram 6,756 views
- 3:04 6 signals up and runningby Javelin395 8,061 views
- 10:59 AutoControls.org #661 Pt 3/3: DCC-BitSwitch Overview Fred Hughesby James R. Ingram 2,261 views
- 8:33 DCC hardward behind McKinley Railwayby David Townend 33,996 views
- 9:57 AutoControls.org #637: 2-Track Model 163 Auto. Yard LGB Displayby James R. Ingram 8,235 views
- 5:42 AutoControls.org #636 Pt 3/3: How-It-Operates, 2-Trk Auto. LGB Yardby James R. Ingram 2,353 views
- 2:13 Toy Train Layout: American Flyer Reverse Loop Layoutby SHIPSHAPE56X 15,335 views
- Loading more suggestions...