Tomorrow's World "3D STEREO" Demonstration, BBC1 (Broadcast 21-03-1991)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 26, 2011
This video features BBC Tomorrow's World's televised demonstration of RSS or 'ROLAND SOUND SPACE' - dubbed "3D STEREO" by presenters Howard Stableford and Kate Bellingham. The programme joined up, via a live audio link, with Mark Goodier's Evening Session on BBC Radio 1 FM. This was in order to demonstrate, to the many viewers without NICAM digital stereo TVs, the then-new innovation of 3D spatial audio rendered with just a pair of speakers. Those who were lucky enough to get a decent FM stereo signal from the station were then able to experience this new sound for themselves.
This upload has been created from a mixture of sources. At the time of the original broadcast I was one of the many who did not have a NICAM TV set (nor, in my case, any video recorder). As I was not present for the live broadcast I'd set my cassette recorder to tape the audio from Stereo Radio 1 FM. Until recently I've only had this tape recording of the event and, frustratingly, none of the video footage.
HOWEVER... 20 years on I've at last happened upon this missing part from someone who, interestingly enough, has been in the opposite situation. He'd never heard the stereo version (even worse!) but possessed the monaural TV footage on video. Unfortunately this had been saved as a very low data rate 'Real Media' (.rm) file. Consequently it is of atrocious visual quality - for which MANY APOLOGIES!! However, as you'll see, it's still worth watching and listening...
I've pieced these two remaining artefacts back together again -- muting the mono video sound and overdubbing / synching the FM stereo audio. However, listeners will notice that during the 'preamble' (up to around 1m29s) the sound is from the mono video only. Unfortunately my cassette recorder only switched on there -- but, thankfully, still in time for the start of the demonstration! Despite the initial lack of stereo I've still managed, for speaker set-up, to doctor the mono audio to pan left around 1m20s; and to pan right around 1m23s.
When the TV demonstration ended, Mark Goodier continued the experiment on Radio 1. Thus, where the video footage ends I've continued the audio: Mark plays a special mix of 'Winter In July' by Tim Simenon's Bomb The Bass. This contains a more subtle use of the RSS effect.
I hope you enjoy this upload despite the video quality. N.B. - Clips via 'Mobile' YouTube http://m.youtube.com are mono audio only.
PS -- If anyone has better footage I'd love to see it! Video response anyone?
Standard YouTube License
Bomb the Bass
- 4:46 Top 5 Failed Game Consoles Ever!by Austin Evans Featured 527,263
- 25:18 The Computer Chronicles - PowerPCby wtfmate4,467 views
- 28:40 The Computer Chronicles - Atari ST (1989)by The Computer Chronicles6,216 views
- 9:59 Tomorrows World clip / BBC continuity 1987by ifoundthatvideo597 views
- 8:29 House of the Future, 1957by expolounge196,590 views
- 0:31 Astra 19.2ºE + Hotbird 13ºE + Thor 0.8ºW | ONE SATELLITE DISH MULTIBLOCK :)by namrhoncus5,684 views
- 4:24 BBC Tomorrow's World Fairlight CMI from 1980 Kieran Prendivilleby Synthasy200010,157 views
- 38 videos Play all Technology of yesteryearby MyOddSock
- 4:17 BBC1 Tomorrow's World 31st May 1990 - The car that parks itselfby smartypants30,740 views
- 4:31 Tomorrow's World - Satellite Television - First Broadcast from Astra - 1989by sdaonline25,884 views
- 10:52 Astra Satellite System Installationby xcitedigital22,817 views
- 1:53 Tomorrow's World 1985 Electronic 'World's First' Digital Cameraby Lauri Showler 235,306 views
- 9:18 RCA TR70B quadruplex recorder.....first look insideby RCAquadruplex4,788 views
- 6:58 Maurice Ward Starlite The Great Egg testby mauricewardstarlite42,446 views
- 24:00 British Life in the 1960's, film 30707by HuntleyFilmArchives12,909 views
- 56:32 Astra satellite promo 1990 - part1/2by RetroTripe321 views
- 14:22 Tomorrow's World in Hong Kong (1996) Part 2 of 2by AmmanfordNinja744 views
- 12:30 satellite TV ASTRA 23,5E + 19,2Eby marek59412,927 views
- 6:05 Tomorrow's World 3D Stereo Test 21-03-91by irishradio1,110 views
- 7:50 Tomorrow's World - Touchscreen Invention (1991)by ENGLISHvintageTV1,090 views