NASA | Tracking Energy through Space
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 26, 2013
Simulation courtesy of J. Raeder/UNH.
This short video features commentary by David Sibeck, project scientist for the THEMIS mission, discussing a visualization of reconnection fronts.
Taking advantage of an unprecedented alignment of eight satellites through the vast magnetic environment that surrounds Earth in space, including NASA's ARTEMIS and THEMIS, scientists now have comprehensive details of the energy's journey through a process that forms the aurora, called a substorm. Their results showed that small events unfolding over the course of a millisecond can result in energy flows that last up to half an hour and cover an area 10 times larger than Earth.
Trying to understand how gigantic explosions on the sun can create space weather effects involves tracking energy from the original event all the way to Earth. It's not unlike keeping tabs on a character in a play with many costume changes, because the energy changes form frequently along its journey: magnetic energy causes eruptions that lead to kinetic energy as particles hurtle away, or thermal energy as the particles heat up. Near Earth, the energy can change through all these various forms once again.
Most of the large and small features of substorms take place largely in the portion of Earth's magnetic environment called the magnetotail. Earth sits inside a large magnetic bubble called the magnetosphere. As Earth orbits around the sun, the solar wind from the sun streams past the bubble, stretching it outward into a teardrop. The magnetotail is the long point of the teardrop trailing out to more than 1 million miles on the night side of Earth. The moon orbits Earth much closer, some 240,000 miles away, crossing in and out of the magnetotail.
This video is public domain and can be downloaded at: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/goto?11309
Like our videos? Subscribe to NASA's Goddard Shorts HD podcast:
Or find NASA Goddard Space Flight Center on Facebook:
Or find us on Twitter:
Standard YouTube License
- 16:58 NASA WTF Did You Do To Piss Off E.T - STS107 I Want ANSWERS On This One 11-21-2013by DarkSkyWatcher74 Featured 369,808
- 2:25 NASA | Sea Ice Max 2013: An Interesting Year for Arctic Sea Iceby NASA Goddard76,441 views
- 2:17 NASA | X-ray Nova Reveals a New Black Hole in Our Galaxyby NASA Goddard190,189 views
- 7:43 NASA | MAVEN: NASA's Next Mission to Marsby NASA Goddard35,690 views
- 5:19 NASA | Fermi at Five Yearsby NASA Goddard74,011 views
- 52:30 Under the Antarctic Ice - Beauty of The Natureby Civil Digital622,447 views
- 9:34 The Most Terrifying Video You'll Ever See Watch This Nowby zigdognewstoday83,699 views
- 7:09 World's 10 Most Mysterious Pictures Ever Takenby Hybrid Librarian12,021,883 views
- 1:08:50 The Truth Behind The Energy Lie(What The Energy Cartels Don't Want You To See) full movieby alan carnagey239,622 views
- 1:32 Free Energy Light Bulbby mopatin138,442 views
- 1:13:53 The Mars Underground (Full)by TruthDocumentary455,411 views
- 48:59 Ancient Egyptian Glass From Outer Space | BBC Documentaryby DocumentaryGeek599,819 views
- 1:23:03 Musica para expulsar energias negativasby Divino Nunes dos Santos206,350 views
- 2:30 10/2013 MAJOR LEAK! GIANT STRUCTURES ON THE MOON - UFOS - NASA - Aliensby secureteam10168,776 views
- 9:33 Why Mars Died, and Earth Livedby SpaceRip1,132,151 views
- 3:17 A new EARTH??? -- Mind Blow #31by Vsauce22,570,748 views
- 54:18 James Randi - Secrets of the Psychics Documentary (Full)by Muon Ray114,467 views
- 1:20:44 Space Shuttle Documentary (Full Movie)by NASCAR48Fan1106,827 views
- 40:49 The True History and Purpose of NASAby gmoore491,192,814 views
- 3:41 Rubik's Twist Tutorialby RandomCubingForever126,507 views
- Loading more suggestions...