Breaking Down the Double-Stop Technique...
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 24, 2012
Andrew Wasson of Creative Guitar Studio answers questions from off of his Guitar Blog website...
Q). I was wondering if you could do a breakdown on what exactly, "Double-Stops," are? I keep hearing about them used in the blues and in rock. My problem with them is there seems to be a lot of different kinds - like; "Double-Stop Chords," "Double-Stop Bends," "Double-Stop Licks" and, "Double-Stop Lines." Hope you can help me to make sense on what all of this is exactly! Thanks.
Taylor -- Huntsville, TX. USA
A). Often what happens with the terms given to certain guitar techniques, is that they tend to become used as; what we'll just call, "Guitar Slang." This term of, "Double-Stop," is a guitar term for a two-note chord, or what is actually called a Dyad. They can be played as a quick one-off idea, perhaps in a solo or a fill. Or, they can be played as a phrase during a lead. Or, even played throughout an entire melodic line! To help get you going with using them, I've created a few examples of how to both think about them on the neck, and how you'd typically see them applied.
I'd like to suggest a three-step double-stop workout idea:
(#1), Learn two-note harmonies along the neck in 3rd's and in 6th's as possible.
(#2), Try composing & playing live an entire solo in Double-Stops.
(#3), Work at mixing single-note phrases with the two-note chord /Double-Stop phrases.
These mixed phrases can sound extremely cool, not to mention really grab your listeners attention. These are fantastic ideas to get into your guitar playing, so I hope you enjoy them and you get a bunch of excellent new musical ideas from them!
As always, Thanks for writing in!
CLOTHING: Visit our Creative Guitar Studio Zazzle page:
OFFICIAL Creative Guitar Studio Products Website:
ANDREW WASSON - Personal Website:
(weekly postings - w/FREE Guitar Handouts)
2nd YOU TUBE CHANNEL: The Guitar Blog
Andrew's Popular "GuitarBlog" YouTube Channel:
Facebook Fan Page:
Creative Guitar Studio on Blogspot:
Standard YouTube License
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Breaking Down the Double-Stop Technique...
- 5:31 Using 6th's and 3rd's for Melodies & Solos...by guitarblogupdate Featured 7,833
- 7:16 Flashy Attention Getting Speed Licks...by guitarblogupdate23,482 views
- 8:20 Getting Out of a Blues Guitar Rut...by guitarblogupdate10,828 views
- 7:49 Tips for Getting More Flow Out of a Solo...by guitarblogupdate7,406 views
- 32:12 Scale Practicing Techniquesby Pebber Brown9,855 views
- 12:09 Classic Rock "Double Stop" Licks Guitar Lessonby davesguitarplanet6,220 views
- 4:44 Learning Country Double Stops from Easy Triads - FULL AUDIOby Nate Dean7,787 views
- 8:51 Free Country Guitar - Albert Lee style Double Stopsby therustycash65,869 views
- 6:26 Country Survival Guide - Double Stops #7 - Guitar Lesson - Jason Loughlinby TrueFire16,119 views
- 3:46 Redd Volkaert on Double Stops - FREE LESSONby Dangerous Guitar66,800 views
- 7:30 Guitar Lesson - Blues Solo with Double Stopsby HPCrazy4,772 views
- 5:40 Ray Flacke teaches Double Stop Me If You Canby homespuntapes53,032 views
- 11:25 Country Guitar Lesson: String Bending (part 2) - How to bend one string in a double stop.by dariocortese14,162 views
- 54:11 Basic Bass Guitar Chords, Double Stops & Theory By Scott Groveby groovydjs14,246 views
- 9:40 RHYTHM GUITAR: Unlocking the Secrets of the Magic 5-Note Boxby creativeguitarstudio204,500 views
- 6:10 Blues Double Stops | Learn & Master Guitar Monthly, July 2012by LearnandMaster12,533 views
- 9:44 Double-Stops Lesson from Acoustic Guitarby AcousticGuitarMag805 views
- 3:07 Punk Guitar Lesson - Filthy Punk-Style Unison Bends with Doublestopsby Corey Hunter57,403 views
- 6:00 SRV Double Stop Pinch Techniqueby gr8bluesgtr95,345 views
- 2:14 Slash Style Double Stop Lick by Martin Gouldingby Martin Goulding5,492 views
- Loading more suggestions...