The Sony NGP Sucks
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 4, 2011
http://nintendo3dsblog.com The Sony NGP Sucks
Hey guys David here from nintendo 3ds blog dot com, and you're probably well aware of it by now, but last week Sony announced the successor to the PSP, which is codenamed the Sony NGP.
Clearly the next few minutes are going to be an incredibly unbalanced rant against the NGP, seeing as this is a channel dedicated to the 3DS. But I am going to try to elaborate on the title of this video.
Okay, so the NGP, on the surface, is pretty cool.
It has PS3-level graphics, 3G connectivity, a touch screen on the back and front. And there's also the quad core processor and a bunch of other fancy stuff.
Just based on the technical specs alone the NGP is like Jesus, but if Jesus was merged with Robocop and then rode Godzilla to the awesome factory.
It's pretty freakin' powerful.
But even so, it just feels a little boring.
Sony has really just thrown more technology into a portable device without taking advantage of the fact that it's a portable device.
The NGP will never be a PS3. The games may look as good as PS3 equivalents, but it'll never have as much raw power and be as flexible as a home console.
But that seems to be how Sony is approaching it. It's almost literally a PS3 that you can sort of carry around with you.
If you have massive pockets.
Or a sherpa.
What's cool about the 3DS is that the display technology they used is just not feasible for larger displays.
Televisions do exist that have the same tech, but they're so expensive and troublesome at that size that they won't be in homes for at least another four or five years.
For the 3DS though, it's perfect.
I was at Nintendo World 2011, so I played a 3DS, and you instantly notice how cool the 3D effect is.
It's a bizarre sensation, and it's only possible on a portable device.
None of the main features of the NGP seem to be unique to handhelds, except for maybe 3G and GPS.
And while I've been wanting 3G in the 3DS for a while now, and Sony fans keep pointing out that the NGP has a bunch of features 3DS fans have been wanting, I think they're missing the point.
I don't just want 3G connectivity.
And I don't just want dual analog sticks.
And I don't just want high-end graphics.
I want all of those things to be in a Nintendo handheld.
There's a big difference.
Nintendo's core product is stronger. They have the games, the innovation and an overall unique experience. They just lack a few features.
Sony's core product on the other hand seems to have the few cool features, like 3G and quad core processing, but lacks anything that compelling that binds it all together and makes it more than just a PS3 for your pocket.
There doesn't seem to be that one defining thing that makes the NGP that special.
It's just like a bunch of engineers got together and threw a bunch of components into a case without any coherent plan.
But credit where credit is due.
Having a touchscreen on the back is quite a bold move from Sony. And I'm curious to see how well it's used by developers.
And maybe this will be different from the PSP.
Maybe the world is ready for a device that is just packed with technology.
But history doesn't exactly prove that to be the case.
Because otherwise Apple products wouldn't be popular, the Wii wouldn't be selling so well, and the PS3 would be winning the console war.
Anyway, this rant could go on for ages, so I'll just wrap it up.
I don't hate the NGP, and I probably will actually pick one up at some point just so I can talk about it with some level of accuracy.
At the moment though it just seems a little dull.
Maybe there'll be some amazing games announced. And that's a genuine possibility. It could happen.
All we've seen at the moment though is a device that is too big as a portable, will likely be over $300 and doesn't do anything that can't be done on a home console.
The NGP is basically a home console with hand grips.
A PS3 with an LCD.
A taco with lots of filling but no flavour.
Okay, I'll stop.
I'm just trying to make the trolls angry.
The NGP will have its good points. But I think this is just a repeat of the previous generation.
I don't think the 3DS is going to have that much trouble taking the crown once again as the best handheld device.
But, I guess, leave your thoughts in the comments?
I may regret asking for opinions. But we'll see how this works out.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:39 The Sony NGP Sucks, Part 2by Nintendo3DS73,620 views
- 9:35 Nintendo 3DS Review (HD)by Nintendo3DS351,101 views
- 5:20 Virtual Tour of Nintendo 3DSby Nintendo3DS209,239 views
- 1:37 More Augmented Reality Games for the Nintendo 3DS and Battery Life Testsby Nintendo3DS40,486 views
- 10:38 Nintendo 3DS Review - Does it suck?by Blunty192,081 views
- 7:45 Nintendo 3DS vs. PlayStation NGPby Machinima623,060 views
- 31 videos Play all The Sony PSP2 a.k.a.(NGP-Next Gen Portable)by ps3king1100
- 5:38 Nintendo 3DS - Hands On (+ playing Pokemon on 3DS)by Blunty220,558 views
- 25:04 PSVita vs 3DS XL Compared - What Kind of Gamer Are You?by Marc The Geek178,323 views
- 14:15 D3Live: Sony NGP vs Nintendo 3DS vs iPod touch 5Gby Austin Evans40,028 views
- 5:03 PSP2 NGP vs 3DS - Which To Buy?by EpicGadgets176,483 views
- 4:12 Epic Unreal Engine Sony NGP Tokyo Press Conference Demoby gamespot275,097 views
- 1:53:56 Nintendo Wii Longplay  New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Part 3 of 3)by cubex554,257,023 views
- 14:20 3DS vs. PSP2 (NGP)by Shokio12,124 views
- 17:04 Nintendo Dropping Wii U Support = HORRIBLE IDEAby ReviewTechUSA112,795 views
- 3:25 Sony NGP (PSP2) : Hands On Impressionsby IGN284,781 views
- 1:32:16 Sony Next Generation Portable (NGP) Tokyo Press Conferenceby gamespot105,473 views
- 12:04 Top 10 Best PS Vita Games of 2012by PeteDorr537,155 views
- 30:00 New Super Mario Bros 2 3DS - Part 2 World 2by cobanermani4564,665,146 views
- 13:16 Nintendo Collection/Gameplay/Freestyle/ OLD SCHOOL SUNDAYby DashieGames43,853 views