Governor Christie Welcomes Amazon To New Jersey
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 30, 2012
Press Conference in Trenton on May 30, 2012.
Good afternoon everybody. I'm pleased to be here with the Lieutenant Governor, with Assemblyman Coutinho, and with Paul Misener, the vice president for global public policy for Amazon.com. After months of hard work and good-faith discussions, conducted by Amazon, members of the Governor's Office, and legislative staff, I'm pleased to formally announce an agreement between my administration and Amazon.com. A positive sign for New Jersey's economic future, Amazon is making plans to open two state-of-the-art fulfillment distribution centers in our state that will begin construction in 2013. Today's announcement marks a first step towards a long-term relationship with Amazon. We're establishing a future partnership committed to growing New Jersey's economy, creating quality jobs, and having Amazon become a significant corporate citizen in our state.
We're marking the beginning of what we expect to be an over $130 million capital investment by Amazon, along with the expected creation of several thousand quality jobs for our citizens, including plans for over 1500 full-time jobs as well as thousands of full-time, temporary, seasonal, and construction jobs to build these facilities. In addition, as part of this collaboration, we've reached an agreement that provides certainty with regard to Amazon's obligation to collect sales tax on the purchases from New Jersey consumers. Under this agreement, Amazon will begin collecting sales tax on purchases to New Jersey customers in July of 2013. This means New Jerseyans will no longer have the required responsibility of tracking and reporting sales tax owed on their online purchases and the state will receive the sales tax it is due to fund programs and services for our residents.
With this agreement Amazon is stepping up and making a real commitment to our state and to our people. They're joining a growing list of companies that the Lieutenant Governor talks about all the time, that have chosen New Jersey as a home for their business, including Panasonic, Honeywell, BASF, Church & Dwight, Coca Cola, Bayer, and now Amazon.com. This is going to continue to add to the record that we've already established, 72,000 private-sector jobs since we took office in January of 2010. 2011 was the best year of private-sector job growth since the year 2000, and we're going to keep working and partnering with companies like Amazon to secure continued growth for our state and our families.
Each of their decisions to locate, stay, or expand in New Jersey recognizes the concrete steps we've taken to improve our business climate to create jobs and deliver tax relief for new job opportunities to families in our state. We've sunsetted the corporate business tax surcharge, fought successfully for $2.35 billion in targeted, job-creating tax cuts beginning in last year's budget, commonsense changes that make our state more competitive and I want to thank Assemblyman Coutinho in particular for his leadership efforts in that regard. He has been someone who we've been able to work across the aisle with to put forward some commonsense tax changes that are helping to create jobs for thousands of our citizens. So Albert played a large role and he'll have a chance to speak in a moment regarding the negotiations we had here with Amazon.com, and has played a significant role in working with our administration in helping to change tax policy to make us more competitive. So I want to thank Albert for his leadership in that regard and his willingness to reach across the aisle and be bipartisan as well.
We look forward to a great partnership with Amazon as we continue to work together to try to grow the economy in this state, with private investment and job creation opportunities in the private sector. So I want to thank Paul, and thank Amazon for their belief in our state. I want to thank them for the good-faith way they conducted these negotiations and discussions with us. I think the Lieutenant Governor and I will be able to show you over the course of the next number of years that New Jersey is a really good place to do business, and look forward to doing business with Amazon.
So I want to introduce first Paul Misener, the vice president for global public policy for Amazon for some remarks, and then I'll also bring Assemblyman Coutinho up to the podium for some remarks as well and then we'll come back for questions so Paul thank you. Look forward to working with you.
Paul Misener: Thank you very much Governor Christie. It's a real pleasure, and it's great to be back in New Jersey. A few miles up Route 1 tomorrow will be starting with my twenty-seventh reunion so I've got my orange and black on if you didn't notice. So it's great to be back. Today's agreement is really a great first start with the state of New Jersey...
Standard YouTube License
- 43:58 TLDR: Flying Cars, Robots, Sleep, and Amazon vs Googleby Chris Pirillo Featured 2,970
- 1:13 Governor Christie: Making Newark The Best City It Can Be, Makes New Jersey Betterby GovChristie368 views
- 1:45 Gov Chris Christie: Help Me, Help You!by GovChristie2,399 views
- 7:57 Governor Chris Christie: Best Month Of New Jersey Job Creation In 7 Yearsby GovChristie2,022 views
- 9:13 Governor Christie Responds To Teacher During Town Hallby GovChristie1,270,973 views
- 14:26 Chris Christie Voorhees Town Hall Meetingby Chris Christie1,937 views
- 11:38 Chris Christie - Oprah's Next Chapter (Part 1)by Chris Christie33,824 views
- 57:20 Gubernatorial Debate Between Chris Christie & Barbara Buono 10.9.2013 Wayne NJby tokm90816,817 views
- 5:35 Chris Christie Speaks About Presidential Electionby Chris Christie631 views
- 5:09 Chris Christie Rips into Lou Greenwald and Paul Sarloby Chris Christie2,071 views
- 3:35 Vietnam Vet asks Chris Christie to Restore American Valuesby Chris Christie586 views
- 41:19 President Bill Clinton talks with Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey - CGI America 2013by Clinton Global Initiative22,481 views
- 6:00 Chris Christie Gets Into A Shouting Match With An Idiot (FULL EXCHANGE WITH VIDEO)by Chris Christie96,427 views
- 2:22 Chris Christie - It's Like Dealing With Children Who Have A Book Report Dueby Chris Christie562 views
- 1:50 Chris Christie tells teacher she doesn't have to teachby Right Scoop596,839 views
- 1:30 Chris Christie Calls Former Navy SEAL/Law Student an 'Idiot'; Heated Exchange Caught on Cameraby ABC News33,451 views
- 1:30 Governor Christie: If I'm Not Your Cup Of Tea, Vote For Somebody Elseby GovChristie21,987 views
- 9:54 Chris Christie Campaigns for Scott Walker in Wisconsin (Part 1)by Chris Christie372 views
- 3:09 Cory Booker on Working With Governor Chris Christie - Oprah's Next Chapter - Oprah Winfrey Networkby OWN TV3,315 views
- 2:28 Chris Christie Gets Into A Shouting Match With An Idiot (FULL EXCHANGE)by Chris Christie67,722 views
- Loading more suggestions...