USC Annenberg School of Communication Commencement Address by Maria Shriver
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 16, 2012
May 11, 2012: USC Annenberg School of Communication 2012 Commencement Address by Maria Shriver
The USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism celebrates the achievements of the Class of 2012!
At the School of Communication satellite ceremony, USC Annenberg will be honoring candidates for bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees in communication, communication management, global communication and public diplomacy. The Communication ceremony speaker, Maria Shriver, is a mother of four, a Peabody and Emmy Award-winning journalist and producer, a six-time New York Times best-selling author, and an influential voice on the shifting roles, emerging power and evolving needs of women in modern life.
Shriver was California's trailblazing First Lady from 2003 to 2010. Her work is driven by her belief that all of us have the ability to be what she calls Architects of Change -- people who see a problem in their own life or the community around them, then step out of their comfort zone and do what it takes to create the solution. She herself is dedicated to creating empowering initiatives, transformative events, inspirational awards, and the groundbreaking series of Shriver Reports that chronicle and explore seismic shifts in the American culture and society today.
Excerpts from Shriver's commencement address:
"But today, I have one wish for you. Before you go out and press that fast forward button, I'm hoping - I'm praying - that you'll have the courage to first press the pause button."
"That's right: the pause button. I hope if you learn anything from me today, you learn and remember -- The Power of the Pause."
"Pausing allows you to take a beat -- to take a breath in your life. As everybody else is rushing around like a lunatic out there, I dare you to do the opposite."
"I'm asking you to do this, because I believe you have an important opportunity in front of you, graduates of the Annenberg School of Communication."
For more on Maria Shriver: http://www.mariashriver.com/
For more on The Power of the Pause: http://www.mariashriver.com/blog/2012...
Standard YouTube License
Next in USC Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism
- 20:59 J.K. Rowling Speaks at Harvard Commencementby Harvard MagazineFeatured 377,611
- 5:13 USC Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism for Prospective Studentsby USCAnnenberg 18,067 views
- 1:42:13 2012 USC Annenberg School of Communication Commencementby USCAnnenberg 562 views
- 5:04 USC Annenberg for Prospective Studentsby USCAnnenberg 11,762 views
- 1:10:05 Richard Dawkins Answers Students and Teachers Lynchburg VAby Nightmares Jesus 13,715 views
- Maria Shriver 981 videos6
- 24:33 Conan O'Brien Delivers Dartmouth's Commencement Addressby Dartmouth 512,058 views
- 22:36 Penn's 2011 Commencement Address by Denzel Washingtonby UnivPennsylvania 490,559 views
- 36:25 Dr. Ravi Zacharias - Liberty University Baccalaureateby Liberty University 6,702 views
- 16:28 Aaron Sorkin's Commencement Speech - 13 May 2012by Syracuse University 144,165 views
- 35:58 Obama at ASU: Commencement Speech with intro by Michael Crowby Arizona State University 405,159 views
- 22:26 Sheryl Sandberg Addresses the Class of 2012by HarvardBSchool 208,709 views
- 12:46 You Are Not Special Commencement Speech from Wellesley High Schoolby WellesleyChannelTV 1,931,914 views
- 28:14 Colin Powell 2012 commencement speechby Northeastern University 11,255 views
- 41:05 Barnard College Commencement 2012 Keynote Address by Barack Obama, President of the United Statesby barnardcollege 23,693 views
- 5:11 Best Father Daughter Dance Ever - Comedian Mike Hanley and his daughter Jessicaby standupmikehanley 1,660,320 views
- 18:14 Fareed Zakaria Commencement Speech || Harvard University Commencement 2012by Harvard University 27,273 views
- 13:22 LA Rally: Maria Shriver Announces Her Support for Barackby BarackObamadotcom 183,749 views
- 17:20 Eric E. Schmidt: 2012 Boston University Commencement Speakerby Boston University 29,315 views
- 6:33 Randy Pausch Inspires Graduatesby Carnegie Mellon University 1,540,383 views
- 24:46 Barbara Walters Addresses the Class of 2012by YaleUniversity 13,686 views
- Loading more suggestions...