Trinidad Railway History 2009 Part 3
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 14, 2011
This is part 3 of a 3 part TV interview about the history of Trinidad's railways.
Part 3 looks at:
- Listing of extant locomotives in Trinidad today
- The scrapping of almost everything between 1998-2005
- Visit with ex Caroni workers
- Railway paintings of David Moore
- Pointe-a-Pierre railway museum proposal
- TGR Bridge No95 at Pointe-a-Pierre
- The final days of the TGR
I have always felt that something should be done to record and preserve some part of the, once prolific but now defunct, rail network of Trinidad.
Trinidadians have lived with railways for over 150 years and fading evidence of this existence can still be seen today in many areas across the island. It is extraordinary that young people are largely unaware that trains once ran to almost every region of this country; the railways are, for example, responsible for the names of many places and roads, the locations of towns and villages, and some very recognizable landmarks.
In the summer of 2009 I was kindly offered the opportunity to give a lecture to the Citizens for Conservation (CFC) and the public on the subject of railways in Trinidad. The level of public interest was truly astonishing. My original intention had been to appeal to the national conscience to support the idea of preserving this part of our social and industrial heritage. I was very encouraged by the reception and feedback.
During this visit to Trinidad, I was also invited to appear on national television for a thirty minute interview. The TV interview was arranged by the Citizens for Conservation (CFC) of Trinidad and Tobago and is the subject of this presentation.
Full credit must go to WinTV in Chaguanas, central Trinidad, for making the original programme which featured some of my 1990 video footage. The interview was recorded on July 7th 2009. The television broadcast was made on the evening of July 25th 2009 in Trinidad and Tobago by WinTV's news extra programme.
In this new presentation, I have taken the programme a stage further by re-editing, adding photos and images, so as to better illustrate the topics discussed. Most of these new images did not appear on the original broadcast and are taken mostly from my private collection unless otherwise indicated.
Finally, I would like to personally thank the Trinidad and Tobago authorities responsible for saving the two surviving TGR locomotives. This is a great service to our nation. Credit must also be extended to the management at Caroni Limited (1975) for the their role in preserving locomotives from the sugar industry. Today there are no less than seven extant Caroni locomotives in Trinidad and we must try to save them all for future generations to enjoy.
I would like to recognise and thank the following people for their help, support and encouragement over the last two years. Without their contributions this feature would not have been possible:
Geoffrey MacLean, Roger Darsley, David Monckton, Jalaludin Khan, Victor Young On, Hans Boos, Allen Morrison, Stephen Dalla Costa, Clarion Charles, David Moore, George Deeby Thompson, Jackie Driscoll and Mr. Ramdeen from WinTV.
Special thanks to Nellon Hunte and the team at WinTV in 2009 when this recording was first made.
I hope that you enjoy this presentation.
Glen Beadon 2011.
Standard YouTube License
- 11:51 Trinidad All Stars - Woman On De Bass (slow jam)by IsDePanInMe Featured 24,746
- 9:36 Trinidad Railway History 2009 Part 2by Glen Beadon2,605 views
- 4:59 Trinidads Lost Railways Part 2by Glen Beadon4,828 views
- 44:57 Extreme Railways : Australias Outback Railwayby Bima Mandala Putra40,257 views
- 4:17 Trinidads Lost Railways 1990 Part 1by Glen Beadon10,667 views
- 9:59 This Land of Ours Part 2by mintourism9,562 views
- 95 videos Play all Trini History (by @EntBreakingNews)by ENTBREAKINGNEWS
- 9:07 Trinidad Railway History 2009 Part 1by Glen Beadon15,197 views
- 3:39 The Last Train to San Fernando 1965by Glen Beadon59,599 views
- 2:57 OLD TRINIDAD 1948.aviby oldtimecalypso54,503 views
- 10:45 In Search of Wilberforce. Presented by Moira Stuart (Part 1)by ThrowbackSoul5,108 views
- 10:55 Learie Joseph girlfriend Return from New York (Upload by Mt Rich Possi)by Emanuel Edwards260,225 views
- 8:27 Trinidad & Tobago Carnival 2012 - Cosmic Tuesdayby Tony Magik366,338 views
- 8:52 "Play Yourself" - Neal & Massey Trinidad All-Stars (2012 Panorama Large Band FINALS)by panfan62319,354 views
- 5:06 This Land of Ours Part 3by mintourism8,562 views
- 0:48 Trinidad Government Railways, 1957by oldtimecalypso10,442 views
- 4:35 Trinidad, 1938by travelfilmarchive80,646 views
- 3:02 A look at Trinidad in the 1960's.flvby CNC3Television15,947 views
- 3:24 Police Abuse in Trinidad at the Oval.by Fred54,410 views
- 1:18 STATE OF EMERGENCY IN TRINIDAD MADNESSS, VIA IAN ALLEYNEby MAVIOSODABEST44,071 views