This video is unavailable.
Dionne Warwick (Theme From) Valley of the Dolls 1968 Million Seller
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 4, 2010
"Theme From 'Valley of the Dolls'" was recorded for the film of the same name. The song was written by Andre Previn and Dory Previn, and had initially been intended for Judy Garland before she was fired from the film. At the urging of Barbara Parkins, the song was given to Warwick. Dionne's John Williams' arranged original version is heard throughout the film. Due to contractual restrictions, Warwick's voice was substituted on the LP album recording of the soundtrack and Warwick was contractually permitted to appear only on the film's actual soundtrack and not the recording released on the 20th Century label. Record buyers of the 20th Century Soundtrack LP were sorely disappointed to find Warwick's voice absent from the LP, although no mention was made that the LP did not not contain the actual Warwick soundtrack. Warwick recut the tune for her home Scepter label with an arrangement by Pat Williams and conducted by Bacharach with Bacharach on piano, and this version hit #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart in February 1968, and #4 on the Canadian Chart, #28 in the UK, #2 on the Billboard AC Chart and #13 on the Billboard Rhythm and Blues Singles chart. The tune hit #1 on the Record World Chart in March 1968. "Theme From 'Valley of the Dolls', the "B" side of Dionne's million selling "I Say a Little Prayer", also became another million seller for Dionne.
Dionne Warwick's twelfth album for the Scepter label "Dionne Warwick in Valley of the Dolls" featured the single along with another Top Ten hit "Do You Know the Way to San Jose". The album was smartly marketed as "The only album in which you will hear Dionne Warwick singing the "Theme From 'Valley of the Dolls'". The album hit #6 on the Billboard Album Chart and #2 on the Billboard Rhythm and Blues Album Chart and would remain on the Hot 100 Album Chart for over a year. It was recorded during the summer and fall of 1967 and was released early the next year. The album was awarded an RIAA gold award.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "(Theme From) Valley of the Dolls" on
- 42 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 1:58:01 Valley of the Dolls (1967) PG - 13by bob brunellFeatured 22,528
- 3:23 Patty Duke-Valley of the dolls sings title songby John Fun 35,771 views
- 2:51 Dionne Warwick - Walk on by (1964)by MrNonosse1 118,160 views
- 8:40 WHITNEY HOUSTON - DIONNE WARWICK MEDLEYby pbamse 352,798 views
- 3:09 Dionne Warwick Message to Michael 1966 Top 10 Hitby dibotis 54,028 views
- 2:59 DIONNE WARWICK. VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. TV PERFORMANCE 1969by raresoulfilms 24,211 views
- 4:04 PATTY DUKE on JUDY GARLAND in VALLEY OF THE DOLLS @ Castro Theatre Event!by Marc Huestis 68,144 views
- 1:21 Barack Obama sings Dionne Warwick's song to Dionne Warwickby acityonthemove 277,332 views
- 14:36 Dionne Warwick - Live '00 Tribute to Burt Bacharach & Hal Davidby MyyyTunes2 314,299 views
- 154 videos Play all SONGS I LIKEby lowaces
- 3:03 Dionne Warwick - Walk On Byby 60otaku3 245,192 views
- 4:18 DIONNE WARWICK-WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW IS LOVE SWEET LOVEby 55JAMESAG 486,253 views
- 4:11 Dusty Springfield - The Look of Loveby 60otaku3 1,289,980 views
- 3:33 "I'll Never Love This Way Again" Dionne Warwickby catman916 262,083 views
- 3:07 FOOL ON THE HILL - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66by hardbossa 119,667 views
- 2:45 Walk On Byby georgefreeek 380,221 views
- 4:33 That's What Friends Are For - Dionne Warwick & Friends HQby LuiscmckI 6,932,033 views
- 3:28 Touch Me In The Morning - Diana Rossby Ruth Gutierrez 652,380 views
- 3:07 carpenters -We've Only Just Begunby ryanche33 10,931,681 views
- 3:57 Dionne Warwick - Never Gonna Give You Up Duet with Barry Whiteby tribute2totally 618,022 views
- 3:45 Dionne Warwick We Never Said Goodbyeby Jason Elias 31,038 views
- Loading more suggestions...