Published on May 6, 2012
Coldcut - BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix - 29.01.2006 a Hip Hop Mix by the legendary Coldcut!!
Matt Black and Jonathon Moore have been creating tracks since the mid-80's. It wasn't until they came together as Coldcut and formed the highly innovative label Ninja Tune that they really started to have any success. With tracks such as "Mo Beats", "Beats and Pieces", and "Greedy Beat" they helped lay the foundation for hip-hop instrumentalists like DJ Shadow and RJD2. The Ninja Tune label has released albums and singles from DJs and producers such as the deep hip-hop of DJ Food, turntablist extraordinare Kid Koala and Russia's DJ Vadim
With so much acclaim and praise, one might think it a no brainer for Coldcut to have done an Essential Mix right after the release of "Journeys by DJ". Instead, it took eleven years for Pete Tong to give the Ninja Tune offices a call and schedule a time for Coldcut to get busy on the Radio One decks. The mix starts off with some classic hip-hop, including Sweet Tee and A Tribe Called Quest's "Can I Kick It?" with the original Lou Reed vocal over it. The mix then moves in to expiremental electro-house territory, before starting the second hour with some drum-n-bass like DJ Zinc's "Super Sharp Shooter" and Krust's infamous roller "Warhead". Laced in between is Wayne Smith's heavy "Under Me Sleng Teng". Finally rounding out the mix is Franz Ferdinand's "This Fire" over a floating dub reggae track, they then put Bjork's "Hidden Place" with a backing track that consists of reggae guitar, 808 drums and opera-like vocals.
While this mix is not another "Journeys by DJ", it is an entertaining mix that keeps you nodding your head the whole time and leaves you in awe at some of the things Coldcut come up with -- George W. Bush doing "Imagine", for one. If you like DJ Yoda and Dan Greenpeace's take on Coldcut's cut-n-paste style from their Essential Mix in 2003, you will like this one as well. Coldcut prove that even in an era when a kid with a computer can create "Jay-Zeezer" it still takes talent and a knowledge of music and DJing to create truly beautiful music using . It is rare that you get a DJ mix that contains creativity. It is even rarer to find an Essential Mix with longevity that doesn't just contain the newest and hottest tunes.
Soundcloud link: http://soundcloud.com/das-boy/2006-01...
01. Adam F 'Unknown'
02. Will I Am 'Who Am I?'
03. DJ Vadim 'The Terrorist'
04. Supercat 'Don Dada'
05. Kenny Dope 'Don dada'
06. Lou Reed 'Walk On The Wild Side'
07. Tribe Called Quest 'Can I Kick It?'
08. Mr Scruff 'Trouser Jazz'
09. The Party Party .com 'Imagine' (Mp3)
10. Sweet Tee 'It's My Beat'
11. KRS ONE 'Dope Beat'
12. AC/DC 'Back In Black'
13. Harry Hall 'Teddy Bears' Picnic'
14. KRS ONE 'Sound Of Da Police'
15. Lumidee 'Never Leave'
16. Eric B & Rakim 'I No U Got Soul'
17. Eric B & Rakim 'Paid In Full'
18. Zebra Breaks 'Unknown'
19. ColdCut 'Smoke This One'
20. The Soul Searchers 'Ashley's Roachclip'
21. Playschool 'Bang On A Drum'
22. Disco 3 'Stick Em'
23. Cutty Ranks 'The Stopper'
24. Slim 'It's In The Mix'
25. Method Man 'Release Yo Delf (Prodigy Remix)
26. Saul Williams 'Not In Our Name'
27. Rare Earth 'I Am Losing You'
28. Jeremy Stieg 'Howlin' For July'
29. Beastie Boys 'Sure Shot'
30. The Majesticons 'Suburb Party'
31. Tickle 3 'I Got What U Need'
32. DJ Z Trip 'Listen To The DJ'
33. The Invada 'Showtime'
34. J Roc 'Dirty Fingered B-Boy'
35. Part 2 'One Of Dem Days'
36. Yummy 'It's Good To You'
37. Harmonic 33 'The Shape Shifter'
38. Pizzy Yelliot 'Could You Be Loved
39. Harmonic 33 'Funky Duck'
40. ColdCut 'Mr Nicholls'
41. McKay 'Takin Over'
42. Dave & Ansel Collins 'Double Barrel'
43. Philorene 'Bola'
44. Antipop Consortium '38303'
45. Ganja Crew 'Super Sharp Shooter'
46. Wayne Smith 'Sleng Teng'
47. Junior Reid 'One Blood'
48. Krust 'Warhead'
49. Slymoo 'Police & Thieves'
50. Coldcut 'Everything's Under Control'
51. Coldcut 'Revolution'
52. Cane 'Grand Old Party Mix'
53. Sunra Arkestra 'Yahyahs Resonance FM Rap'
54. Baba Brooks 'Twilight Zone'
55. Sandra Melody and Diplo 'Newsflash'
56. Temperance 7 'Charley My Boy'
57. Crazy Titch vs Coldcut '1 hr To Make This'
58. Lee Sratch Perry 'Cloak And Dagger'
59. Franz Ferdinand 'This Fire'
60. King Tubby 'Base Dub'
61. Alan Watts 'Listen'
62. Bjork 'Hidden Place'
63. The Congos 'Open Up The Gates Of Zion '
64. King Tubbys 'Confusion Dub'
65. Son Kite 'Other Side'
66. Iggy Pop & Stooges 'Down On The Street'
I Do Not Own the Rights to this Music, No Copyright Intended
Standard YouTube License