Kevin Pearce Gets Back on his Snowboard Again
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 14, 2011
Burton Snowboards is proud to congratulate Burton team rider Kevin Pearce on his first day back on a snowboard since he suffered a traumatic brain injury while training for the Olympics in 2009.
Kevin has been a part of the Burton family for years, receiving his first snowboard from Jake Burton himself back when he was just five years old. In 2004, Kevin earned his first official sponsorship with Burton Snowboards after a Burton team manager was impressed with his riding during summer camp at Mt. Hood. From that point on, Kevin started showing up on podiums everywhere, with career highlights like consecutive Arctic Challenge victories, a pair of Air &Style wins, multiple X Games medals and back-to-back European Open wins.
Everything changed in an instant when Kevin suffered a traumatic brain injury while attempting a Cab double cork during a halfpipe training session on December 31, 2009. Since then, Kevin has spent nearly two years putting all his energy into rehab, re-learning things we all take for granted like eating, walking, talking, balancing and seeing.
Until recently, Kevin didn't know if he would ever be able to snowboard again. So when he got the green light from his doctors it was a dream come true, and everything came together yesterday as he strapped on his board for the first time since the accident. Jake Burton was honored to join Kevin for his inaugural runs at Vail yesterday, before Kevin headed to Breckenridge to ride with friends and fans.
"To get to this point in his recovery, Kevin has worked harder and has had more determination than anyone I know," said Jake Burton, Founder and CEO of Burton Snowboards. "His positive attitude and sense of humor through it all has inspired millions of people, including me personally in a big way. I couldn't be happier to be here with Kevin to get back on snow with him. It was a day I'll never forget."
In a pretty historic moment yesterday, Jake switched out his 'I Ride for Kevin' snowboard sticker (the grassroots campaign Burton created back in 2009 to show support for Kevin) with a new Burton sticker that says 'Ride with Kevin'. The new message pretty much says it all.
In honor of Kevin's amazing milestone, today on Wednesday, December 14th Burton will donate 10% of all proceeds from its sales on http://burton.com to traumatic brain injury research.
For a look back at Kevin's snowboard career and recovery process, check out his timeline at http://burton.com/kevinpearce and at his new website http://kevinpearce.com
Standard YouTube License
- 1:42 Kevin Pearce Opens Up About Injury and His Future: Part 1by AMPEnergyFeatured 67,832
- 1:29 Bangers & Mash - Charles Reid's FS 20160by Burtonsnowboards 33,497 views
- 1:16 Bangers and Mash -- Grilo's Miller Flipby Burtonsnowboards 21,219 views
- 4:14 Standing Sideways Teaser #2by Burtonsnowboards 112,086 views
- 4:07 Wild on B - Words with Nicolasby Burtonsnowboards 12,555 views
- 5:46 Every Third Thursday-iShred-snowboard-iBoard-iPad-by-signal-snowboardsby SignalSnowboard 318,993 views
- 5:17 Every Third Thursday-sweet tooth candy snowboard- by-signal-snowboardsby SignalSnowboard 54,824 views
- 11:00 This Is Snowboarding 2by washythebreaker 845,348 views
- 2:18 Salt Boarding - Blank Snowboardsby devinsupertramp 1,613,138 views
- 6:55 The Frendly Times Ep 3 with the Frends Snowboard Crew - Danny Davis, Kevin Pearce and Moreby AlliSports 16,515 views
- 5:02 "NICE'NESS" - ZERMATT SUMMER 2011by XTreme Video 153,093 views
- 6:13 グラトリ2011 snowboard / MASTER OF GROUND4 (Flat trick) / LEVEL OF COMPLEX (free ride trick)by takumi kuroda 359,438 views
- Snowboarding 508,947 videos11K
- 6:36 Zell Am See, Kaprun Snowboarding. Snowboard Realms se5 ep3by snowboardrealms 61,466 views
- 3:12 Snowboarding - The Bestby Zanman819 4,495,782 views
- 1:35 Wild on B - Shaun Feels the Rhythm at Northstarby Burtonsnowboards 26,202 views
- 2:35 Wild on B - Jake Looks Back at Weigeliesby Burtonsnowboards 9,986 views
- 2:16 DC SHOES: TORSTEIN HORGMO: THIS IS SNOWBOARDINGby DCshoesFILM 362,977 views
- 2:43 Shaun White - amazing snowboarding performanceby jorgefaxboy 2,309,250 views
- 1:22:07 Red Bull Signature Series - Supernatural 2012 FULL TV EPISODE 6by redbull 1,555,666 views
- 1:37 Bangers and Mash - Danny Davis Eats It In Tahoeby Burtonsnowboards 38,476 views
- Loading more suggestions...