Kevin Pearce Gets Back on his Snowboard Again
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 14, 2011
Burton Snowboards is proud to congratulate Burton team rider Kevin Pearce on his first day back on a snowboard since he suffered a traumatic brain injury while training for the Olympics in 2009.
Kevin has been a part of the Burton family for years, receiving his first snowboard from Jake Burton himself back when he was just five years old. In 2004, Kevin earned his first official sponsorship with Burton Snowboards after a Burton team manager was impressed with his riding during summer camp at Mt. Hood. From that point on, Kevin started showing up on podiums everywhere, with career highlights like consecutive Arctic Challenge victories, a pair of Air &Style wins, multiple X Games medals and back-to-back European Open wins.
Everything changed in an instant when Kevin suffered a traumatic brain injury while attempting a Cab double cork during a halfpipe training session on December 31, 2009. Since then, Kevin has spent nearly two years putting all his energy into rehab, re-learning things we all take for granted like eating, walking, talking, balancing and seeing.
Until recently, Kevin didn't know if he would ever be able to snowboard again. So when he got the green light from his doctors it was a dream come true, and everything came together yesterday as he strapped on his board for the first time since the accident. Jake Burton was honored to join Kevin for his inaugural runs at Vail yesterday, before Kevin headed to Breckenridge to ride with friends and fans.
"To get to this point in his recovery, Kevin has worked harder and has had more determination than anyone I know," said Jake Burton, Founder and CEO of Burton Snowboards. "His positive attitude and sense of humor through it all has inspired millions of people, including me personally in a big way. I couldn't be happier to be here with Kevin to get back on snow with him. It was a day I'll never forget."
In a pretty historic moment yesterday, Jake switched out his 'I Ride for Kevin' snowboard sticker (the grassroots campaign Burton created back in 2009 to show support for Kevin) with a new Burton sticker that says 'Ride with Kevin'. The new message pretty much says it all.
In honor of Kevin's amazing milestone, today on Wednesday, December 14th Burton will donate 10% of all proceeds from its sales on http://burton.com to traumatic brain injury research.
For a look back at Kevin's snowboard career and recovery process, check out his timeline at http://burton.com/kevinpearce and at his new website http://kevinpearce.com
Standard YouTube License
- 5:17 Every Third Thursday-sweet tooth candy snowboard- by-signal-snowboardsby SignalSnowboard Featured 64,987
- 4:10 Burton Snowboards "Craigs" Proto Labby Burton Snowboards34,064 views
- 2:15 Wild on B - Standing Sideways Slamsby Burton Snowboards40,092 views
- 1:29 Bangers & Mash - Charles Reid's FS 20160by Burton Snowboards38,481 views
- 17:35 Burton Presents RESORT [SNOWBOARDING]by Burton Snowboards133,587 views
- 35:03 Horgasm - A Love Storyby ShredbotsOFFICIAL1,155,740 views
- 1:22:07 Red Bull Signature Series - Supernatural 2012 FULL TV EPISODE 6by Red Bull!1,891,910 views
- 3:38 Snowboard Session with 17-year-old Scotty James - New Zealandby Red Bull!118,502 views
- 12:59 The Crash Reel: Kevin Pearce [HD] Life Matters, ABC Radio Nationalby abcradionational32,214 views
- 5:02 "NICE'NESS" - ZERMATT SUMMER 2011by XTreme Video157,282 views
- The Snowboard Realms 71 videos12K
- 1:06:08 Burton "The B Movie"by Alexey Matador35,130 views
- 1:42 Kevin Pearce Opens Up About Injury and His Future: Part 1by AMPEnergy75,186 views
- 13:58 Exploring Danny Davis' Pipe Dreamby Burton Snowboards30,792 views
- 5:46 Every Third Thursday-iShred-snowboard-iBoard-iPad-by-signal-snowboardsby SignalSnowboard329,522 views
- 59:45 Scream Of Consciousness - Burton Snowboardsby Keith Josephson2,385 views
- 2:25 Kevin Pearce Talks About Excitement to Snowboard in 5 daysby frendsvision29,482 views
- 8:06 Snowboarder Kevin Pearce talks about skier Sarah Burke's death in Park City, Utahby chrisbarrett10,975 views
- 3:31 Marko Grilc & Tim Kevin Snowboarding in Austriaby Red Bull!37,794 views
- 45:31 Burton "It's Always Snowing Somewhere" - Part 1by Alexey Matador49,249 views