The G20 Mexico Summit
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 13, 2012
World leaders will gather June 18-20 in Los Cabos, Mexico, for the Group of Twenty nations summit. Stewart M. Patrick, senior fellow and director of the International Institutions and Global Governance program at the Council on Foreign Relations, talks to Enrique Berruga, the president of the Mexican Council on Foreign Relations, about the upcoming meeting and future of the group. Berruga says:
1. The G20 "has to deliver." With the global economy slipping back towards recession and the threat of a European crisis looming, "there's no time to spare." Members of the International Monetary Fund have agreed to provide that institution with almost $500 billion, but "the question is what to do with that money" and how to "revamp" the global financial system to make it more stable.
2. The Mexican presidency will propose a climate fund to promote growth that is "more efficient and cleaner at the same time."
3. Mexico depends on the welfare of the other G20 members and therefore highly values the forum. "Mexico and Canada are the two more-addicted-to-the-G20 countries of them all," Berruga notes.
4. While some believe that Mexico represents Latin America at the forum, Mexico really only represents its own national interest, and calls for such regional representation are overly idealistic. However, Latin American countries do ask their regional partners in the G20 (Brazil and Argentina in addition to Mexico) to push some of their agenda items.
5. For the first time, the Mexican G20 presidency convened a meeting of all G20 foreign ministers because the issues under debate are "so important that the foreign ministers have to be engaged." G20 summits generally gather finance ministers from member countries and yield a nonbinding communiqué without real commitments and deadlines. Including foreign ministers in the discussion will help add important diplomatic architecture to the debates and outcome document, in terms of follow through and substantive expertise. However, countries must avoid trying to replace the UN Security Council and take on issues beyond their remit, such as Syria.
This video is part of The Internationalist, a series dedicated to in-depth discussions about leveraging multilateral cooperation to meet today's transnational challenges: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=...
Standard YouTube License
- 3:31 The G8 Summit: Three Things to Knowby Council on Foreign Relations1,029 views
- 1:00:29 Iran: The Nuclear Challengeby Council on Foreign Relations1,146 views
- 6:19 Five Things to Know About the G20by Council on Foreign Relations2,252 views
- 6:33 Beyond the BRICSby Council on Foreign Relations5,033 views
- 12:36 Manmohan, Obama and other leaders in G20 summit day 2by ABP NEWS4,968 views
- 10:55 Mirador Mundial - Segmento de Cobertura del G20 (Los Cabos,México) - Junio 17,2012by ZEROELPOETA972 views
- 5:01 G20 Foreign Ministers Meet in Los Cabos, Mexicoby WSJDigitalNetwork6,966 views
- 2:13 Indian PM arrives in Mexico for G20 summitby INDIA File Ani2,859 views
- 2:03 Mexico's poor in contrast to glitzy G20by Al Jazeera English6,433 views
- 3:15 Mexico arrival for the Toronto G-20 Summitby dfaitmaeci11,568 views
- 2:40 G20 Summit at Mexicoby newsdire1,021 views
- 8:58 Los Cabos, Mexico: A Travel Guideby James Knott137,314 views
- 2:14 Jun 18, 2012 Mexico_Putin meets leaders of BRICS countries before G20 summitby Felonious Vendetta2,041 views
- 3:23 INDONESIA THE LARGEST ECONOMY IN SOUTHEAST ASIA - G20 MEMBERby IndonesianPride16,574 views
- 3:10 World Experts Comment on the Expectations of Mexico as the host of the next G-20 Summit in 2012by Mexico Today7,178 views
- 2:32 Los Cabos Highway Improvements 2012 - Courtesy of Prudentialby The Cabo Channel879 views
- 24:55 President Obama holds a Press Conference at the G20 Summitby The White House10,533 views
- 1:50 G20 backs efforts to solve eurozone crisisby Al Jazeera English1,521 views
- 11:23 Futurist: Modern companies to die!by RT9,351 views
- 1:33 Jun 18, 2012 Mexico_Putin arrives in Mexico for G20 summitby Felonious Vendetta5,394 views
- Loading more suggestions...