Quantum Entanglement - The Weirdness Of Quantum Mechanics
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 13, 2010
http://www.facebook.com/ScienceReason ... Quantum Mechanics (Chapter 6): Quantum Entanglement - The Weirdness Of Quantum Mechanics.
Please SUBSCRIBE to Science & Reason:
Quantum entanglement, also called the quantum non-local connection, is a property of a quantum mechanical state of a system of two or more objects in which the quantum states of the constituting objects are linked together so that one object can no longer be adequately described without full mention of its counterpart—even if the individual objects are spatially separated in a spacelike manner.
The property of entanglement was understood in the early days of quantum theory, although not by that name. Quantum entanglement is at the heart of the EPR paradox developed by Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky, and Nathan Rosen in 1935. This interconnection leads to non-classical correlations between observable physical properties of remote systems, often referred to as nonlocal correlations.
Quantum mechanics holds that observables, for example spin, are indeterminate until some physical intervention is made to measure an observable of the object in question. In the singlet state of two spin, it is equally likely that any given particle will be observed to be spin-up or spin-down.
Measuring any number of particles will result in an unpredictable series of measurements that will tend to a 50% probability of the spin being up or down. However, the results are quite different if this experiment is done with entangled particles. For example, when two members of an entangled pair are measured, their spin measurement results will be correlated.
Two (out of infinitely many) possibilities are that the spins will be found to always have opposite spins (in the spin-anti-correlated case), or that they will always have the same spin (in the spin-correlated case). Measuring one member of the pair therefore tells you what spin the other member would have if it were also measured. The distance between the two particles is irrelevant.
The Cassiopeia Project - making science simple!
The Cassiopeia Project is an effort to make high quality science videos available to everyone. If you can visualize it, then understanding is not far behind.
Standard YouTube License
- 48:04 Albert Einstein- How I See the Worldby Nam NgoFeatured 2,626,814
- 15:43 The illusion of distance and free particles : quantum entanglementby paralaks 11,785 views
- 15:00 Dr. Quantum - The Real Self behind the Ego (caught by science)by Gábor Hényel 267,300 views
- 10 videos Play all Course | Modern Physics: Quantum Mechanicsby StanfordUniversity
- 9:38 Man dies, comes back to life, what he sawby Lee Goodall 16,542,021 views
- 9:12 The Quantum Entanglement THEORY Explained...by playthegameco 85,219 views
- 1:49 Why Quantum Physics Ends the Free Will Debateby DocFosters 367,044 views
- 52:51 Quantum Mechanicsby GodEqualsUnknown 631,853 views
- 5:09 Understanding 4th Dimention - HQby astarotcito 307,165 views
- 2:01 String Theory in Two Minutesby MegaFantastique 239,996 views
- 1:13:22 The Quantum Mechanics of Time Travelby QuantumIQC 91,779 views
- 0:57 Stella Angelova Super slow motionby stellaangelova 4,247,270 views
- 3:57 The World is an Illusion - Quantum Physicsby hislatestwords 261,333 views
- 2:25 Who lives in the eleventh dimension? - Parallel Universes - BBC scienceby BBCWorldwide 3,607,961 views
- 1:55 This Is Mind Blowing!by FabioTheItalianOne 4,347,117 views
- 10:33 Quantum Superposition - What the Bleep excerptby WalkinLA 169,484 views
- 0:48 Funny case : No suspension carsby babuzou 885,818 views
- 1:33:14 String Theory for the Scientifically Curious with Dr. Amanda Peetby CFIOntario 95,030 views
- 6:51 Quantum Entanglementby Norman Valdez 10,208 views
- 1:33:44 Alien Planet "Full Documentary"by MrSaunders2020 8,326,798 views
- The Great Courses 173 videos5K
- 9:36 Quantum Mechanics: The Double Slit Experimentby Brendan Noon 314,196 views
- Loading more suggestions...