Je T'Aime....Moi Non Plus -- Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg (in HD)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 3, 2011
"Je t'aime... moi non plus" (French for "I love you... me neither") is a French duet written by Serge Gainsbourg. It was written for and sung with Brigitte Bardot in 1967, but that version was not released until 1986. In 1969, Gainsbourg recorded a version with his lover, Jane Birkin. It reached number one in the UK, but was banned in several countries due to its sexual content. The song has been covered by many different artists.
In winter 1967. Bardot asked Serge Gainsbourg to write the most beautiful love song he could imagine and that night he wrote "Je t'aime" and "Bonnie and Clyde". They recorded an arrangement of "Je t'aime" by Michel Colombier at a Paris studio in a two-hour session in a small glass booth; the engineer William Flageollet said there was "heavy petting". However, news of the recording reached the press and Bardot's husband, German businessman Gunter Sachs, was angry and called for the single to be withdrawn. Bardot pleaded with Gainsbourg not to release it, and although he protested that "The music is very pure. For the first time in my life, I write a love song and it's taken badly", he complied.
In 1968, Gainsbourg fell in love with English actress Jane Birkin on the set of their film Slogan. After filming, he asked her to record the song with him. Birkin had heard the Bardot version and thought it "so hot." She said: "I only sang it because I didn't want anybody else to sing it," jealous at the thought of his sharing a recording studio with someone else. Gainsbourg asked her to sing an octave higher than Bardot, "so you'll sound like a little boy." It was recorded in an arrangement by Arthur Greenslade in a studio at Marble Arch. Birkin said she "got a bit carried away with the heavy breathing -- so much so, in fact, that I was told to calm down, which meant that at one point I stopped breathing altogether. If you listen to the record now, you can still hear that little gap. "There was media speculation, as with the Bardot version, that they had recorded live sex, to which Gainsbourg told Birkin, "Thank goodness it wasn't, otherwise I hope it would have been a long-playing record." It was released in February 1969. The single had a plain cover, with the words "Interdit aux moins de 21 ans" (forbidden to those under 21),and the record company changed the label from Philips to Fontana.
Gainsbourg also asked Marianne Faithfull to record the song with him; she said: "Hah! He asked everybody". Others approached included Valérie Lagrange and Mireille Darc.Bardot regretted not releasing her version, and a friend, Jean-Louis Remilleux persuaded her to contact Gainsbourg. They released it in 1986
"Moi non plus" ("Me neither") as a response to "Je t'aime" is a joke some English-speaking listeners did not understand. It is often translated as "I love you - me not anymore".
Standard YouTube License
- 38 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 4:30 BRIGITTE BARDOT & SERGE GAINSBOURG - JE T'AIMEby carlos palmaFeatured 809,370
- 7:14 Good bye Emmanuelle - Serge Gainsbourg, Jane Birkinby ursulafw 250,754 views
- 4:21 Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin - Je t'aime... moi non plus/Original videoclip (Fontana 1969)by The Marc Torringa Channel 44,292 views
- 5:48 Michael Jackson Watching Celine Dion Perform at World Music Awards 1996by Jetix's channel 1,646,977 views
- 5:45 Celine Dion - The Power Of Love ( Tradução ) By Sara Aguilar.wmvby Sara Aguilar 2,296,547 views
- 4:05 Chris Isaak - Wicked Game HDby djanthonyStyle 2,826,923 views
- 4:20 Je T'aime Moi Non Plus - Tribute to Birkin & Gainsbourgby Allan Filgueira 1,697,722 views
- 4:10 Nickelback - If Today Was Your Last Dayby NICKELBACK TV 2,254,247 views
- 5:14 Charlotte et Serge Gainsbourg - Lemon Incestby Eric Mazier 186,260 views
- CHANEL 221 videos96K
- 6:08 Lara Fabian Je t'aime Live In Concertby soulcapture5's channel 3,241,505 views
- 8:00 Led Zeppelin-Stairway to Heavenby PolAlvarezBalague 69,662,081 views
- 4:19 JANE BIRKIN & SERGE GAINSBOURG - JE T'AIME... MOI NON PLUSby paradiseresort 81,181 views
- 5:13 Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg - La Décadanseby Remo Biazzi 1,466,699 views
- 3:29 Patricia Kaas - Les Hommes Qui Passentby Oleg Selishchev 1,355,938 views
- 4:22 Je T'aime... Moi Non Plus (paroles) by Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkinby WhiteLibraTexas 2,264 views
- 3:30 Céline Dion - Je t'aime encoreby rouman974 4,813,681 views
- 42:53 Andre Rieu - Romantic Paradise Part 1 (2008)by JoValentin66 3,065,828 views
- 4:19 Lara Fabian - Je T'aime Lyricsby SaraWatsonful 572,779 views
- 3:24 Baby i miss youby patayapasseins 9,728,661 views
- 4:27 je t'aime... moi non plus (I love You...) organ solo versionby Rounder 105,118 views
- Loading more suggestions...