Funeral of Hiram Cronk 1905
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 12, 2009
Photographed May 17-18, 1905.
American Mutoscope and Biograph Company
Location: Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.
Camera: G.W. ''Billy'' Bitzer
Crowds of people line a thoroughfare in Brooklyn and watch a military procession. The march is lead by a full dress military band with only the drummer marking the pace [0:10]. Two uniformed riders lead a brigade of Rough Riders followed by Civil War dressed troops which accompany the horse drawn hearse baring the body of Hiram Cronk [1:40], and a long line of open carriages probably occupied by family, friends, and dignitaries [1:50]. This portion may be on the way to City Hall followed by film of the procession to the burial in Brooklyn. The segment takes up with soldiers baring shouldered arms [2:00]. The line of mounted riders driving the hearse comes to a rest as the marching procession continues with soldiers representing the War of 1812 coming into view before the film ends.
Hiram Cronk (April 29, 1800 - May 13, 1905) was thought to be the last surviving veteran of the War of 1812 at the time of his death. He died at his home in Ava, New York on May 13, 1905, and under the direction of the Board of Aldermen of the City of New York the body was taken to the city, where a military funeral was held before interment in Brooklyn's Greenwood Cemetery.
Born in Frankport, New York, Cronk enlisted with his father and two brothers on August 4, 1814. He served with the New York Volunteers in the defense of Sackett's Harbor, and was discharged November 16, 1814. For his service, he received a pension of $12 per month. In 1903, Congress increased it to $25 per month. He also received a special pension of $72 per month from the State of New York.
Cronk spent most of his life working as a shoemaker. He married Mary Thornton in 1825, with whom he had seven children. At the time of his death he had fourteen grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
When he died, his body was displayed in the main lobby of New York City Hall. An estimated 25,000 people paid their respects.
- excerpt from Wikipedia
This link which is from The Sunday Utica Journal, April 26, 1903, p. 6, is a fascinating account celebrating Hiram Cronk's 103rd birthday.
New York City in 1905:
The first Carnegie Library in the Bronx, the Mott Haven branch, opened at 140th Street and Alexander Avenue. The Tremont and Kingsbridge branches also opened. In Queens another Carnegie, the Richmond Hill branch opened and the Port Richmond branch opened on Staten Island / August Belmont purchased the unfinished Steinway Tunnel (completed 1907) for $80,000. On December 22, Belmont acquired the Metropolitan Street Railway Company, eliminating another rival to his Interboro Rapid Transit Company. The Tribunes headline cried: ''Belmont Is Traction King; Belmont Now in Position to Sandbag City.'' / The first issue of Variety appeared on December 16 / ''Will You Love Me in December as You Do in May?'' lyrics by future mayor Jimmy Walker, was one of the year's hit songs
01/04/12 - 3,108
Standard YouTube License
- 1:50 Sheriff: No Apology Needed For Military Processionby kmbctvFeatured 73,816
- 7:04 Forrest "Dino" Taylor Funeral 9/7/12by Ann Perry 198 views
- 9:01 Queen Mothers Funeral Procession Mass Pipes & Drumsby 0011795 779,534 views
- 1:02 MUERTO SE LEVANTA EN VELATORIO EN VIVO......2012by GLETS BABI 58,455 views
- 12:07 Sad funeral (first time recording) by mimeCTRL- orlando dortelusby asperlando 29,990 views
- 48 videos Play all Civil Warby mookat21
- 14:09 The Funeral of my 9 year old son Part 1by JPettyCash 56,191 views
- 12:09 27 Le deuil vol 4 part 1by MrMakiss77 20,488 views
- 8:30 "Still Here" - Day 20 - Goodbye Sabrinaby GavinMichaelBooth 385,711 views
- 1:49 Funeral For Fire Victimsby wcmhnbc4 4,417 views
- 1:29 Se enteró que su esposa era hombre después de 19 años de casadosby NoticiasGGL 19,190 views
- 2:09 Funeral held for mother, children shot to death last weekendby WLKY 90,596 views
- 3:17 ramuna,ketua 36 segamatby mylifedship 40,838 views
- 9:55 [HD] I Wayan Wandres Cremation and Last Rites Part Oneby Bali - North Bali - Bert Vierstra 176,028 views
- 11:23 Cuca de la Rosa funeralby dool86jm 665 views
- 3:34 May You Rest In Peace Anthonyby rawkeeh 468,345 views
- 14:35 27 Le deuil vol 3 Les funérailles part 1by MrMakiss77 14,465 views
- 4:33 IPOH 0804 LEGEND BOB VINOT - MP4 360p [all devices].mp4by loveblady raskal 38,367 views
- 1:17 Dead Boy - Sits up in Coffin - Asks Dad for drink of water at Funeralby EpicToolTime 370,533 views
- 2:05:41 CHCH News: The Funeral of Constable Garrett Styles (HQ)by CHCHTelevision 7,511 views
- 2:39 JOHNNY Hijo de JENNI RIVERA Dedica Unas Palabras a su Madre Funeral Ultimo Adios!by robinmusicc 1,126 views
- Loading more suggestions...