TOC 2011: Kevin Kelly, "Better than Free: How Value Is Generated in a Free Copy World"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 17, 2011
"Better than Free: How Value Is Generated in a Free Copy World"
For 25 years Kevin Kelly has been a participant in, and reporter on, the culture of technology. Based in his studio in Pacifica, California, he immerses himself in the long-term trends and social consequences of technology. Kevin Kelly is currently Senior Maverick at Wired magazine. He helped launch Wired in 1993, and served as its Executive Editor until January 1999. During Kelly's tenure as editor at Wired, the magazine won two National Magazine Awards (the industry's equivalent of two Oscars). He is currently editor and publisher of the popular Cool Tools, True Film, and Street Use websites. From 1984-1990 Kelly was publisher and editor of the Whole Earth Review, a journal of unorthodox technical news. He co-founded the ongoing Hackers' Conference, and was involved with the launch of the WELL, a pioneering online service started in 1985. A few years ago he started a scientific campaign to catalog all the living species of life on earth. This project has morphed into developing a web page for every species in an Encyclopedia of Life.
Kevin Kelly has authored the best-selling New Rules for the New Economy, and the classic book on decentralized emergent systems, Out of Control (called "required reading for all executives" by Fortune). In addition he writes for prominent publications including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Economist, Time, Harpers, Science, GQ, and Esquire. Earlier in life he was a photographer in remote parts of Asia (instead of going to college), publishing his photographs in national magazines and recently in the photo art book Asia Grace. Currently he is a charter board member of the Long Now Foundation which is building a monumental clock that will tick for 10,000 years.
Standard YouTube License
Next in TOC 2011
- 5:03 Kevin (Aaron) is trying out a singing contest at Cambodian New Year 2011 eventby apsaravideoFeatured 3,815
- 33:00 TOC 2011: Margaret Atwood, "The Publishing Pie: An Author's View"by OreillyMedia 19,326 views
- 20:06 Web 2.0 Expo SF 2011: Kevin Kellyby OreillyMedia 3,124 views
- 30:16 TOC 2011: Theodore Gray, "The Elements: How We Did It and Where We're Going"by OreillyMedia 3,391 views
- 19:38 網路未來五千天(中文)by dxmonline 73,325 views
- 1:06:15 Web 2.0 Summit 2010: Mark Zuckerberg, "A Conversation with Mark Zuckerberg"by O'Reilly Media 564,445 views
- 7:41 Mind Mapping by Stephen Pierceby impulsiveprofits 252,074 views
- 5:39 Kevin Kelly Talks Shopby Chris Nagel 2,078 views
- 20:39 Kevin Kelly: How technology evolvesby TEDTalks 34,132 views
- 32:27 Kevin Kelly on the next 7000 Days - Taipei Spring 2012by minipcpro 928 views
- 19:03 TEDxSF - Roz Picard - Emotion Technologyby TEDxTalks 18,734 views
- 24:57 TOC 2011: Steve Rosenbaum, "CURATION: Beyond The Buzzword"by O'Reilly Media 1,623 views
- 18:51 Pamela Meyer: How to spot a liarby TEDTalks 1,427,388 views
- 18:44 TOC 2011: Anna Gerber & Britt Iverson, "Visual Editions: Part Revolution, Part Reinvention..."by O'Reilly Media 3,759 views
- 13:59 1,000 True Fans: David Mathison interviews Kevin Kelly (2 of 4)by David Mathison 1,510 views
- 6:00 Intel Visual Life - Michael Wolffby Channel Intel 110,587 views
- 4:15 CSA Celebrity Speakers - Sir Tim Berners-Leeby CSACelebritySpeakers 444 views
- 19:34 Kevin Kelly: The next 5,000 days of the webby TEDtalksDirector 142,861 views
- 3:37 From the Typewriter to the Bookstore: A Publishing Storyby MacmillanUSA 73,041 views
- 22:16 TOC 2010: Jeff Gomez, "Storyworlds: The New Transmedia Business Paradigm"by OreillyMedia 4,414 views
- Loading more suggestions...