Uploaded on Jul 18, 2008
I recently reinstalled Windows and lost sound. The computer said "No Audio Device" even though everything was hooked up correctly. It drove me crazy for a week and most of the "solutions" online were complex and/or convoluted.
This is what worked for me:
1)Go to the Realtek website (www.realtek.com). You can either:
2) click "Downloads" and do a search for "WDM_R198", or
3) on the front page under "Quick Links" click "HD Audio Codec Driver" and that should take you there as well.
4)Accept the High Definition Audio Codecs agreement and click "Next".
5) Find your operating system (Windows Vista or XP... even Unix/Linux) and click "GO" (choose site 1, 2, or 3, it doesn't matter).
6) Install and reboot, and hopefully it works, although I still had to adjust one more thing in Device Manager followed by one more reboot to get it going.
7) If that doesn't work, try doing a search for "WDM_A404" and maybe that's the correct driver for you.
Hope I can help someone out there! :)
Standard YouTube License