1959 First EVER Barbie Commercial High Quaility HQ!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 28, 2008
This is the first Barbie commercial that first aired during Mickey Mouse Club! This is higher quaility then our old upload we did last year, enjoy. :)
Ruth Handler watched her daughter Barbara at play with paper dolls, and noticed that she often enjoyed giving them adult roles. At the time, most children's toy dolls were representations of infants. Realizing that there could be a gap in the market, Handler suggested the idea of an adult-bodied doll to her husband Elliot, a co-founder of the Mattel toy company. He was unenthusiastic about the idea, as were Mattel's directors.
During a trip to Europe in 1956 with her children Barbara and Kenneth, Ruth Handler came across a German toy doll called Bild Lilli. The adult-figured Lilli doll was like what Handler had in mind, so she purchased three of them. She gave one to her daughter and took the others back to Mattel. The Lilli doll was based on a popular character appearing in a comic strip drawn by Reinhard Beuthin for the newspaper Die Bild-Zeitung.
Upon her return to the United States, Handler reworked the design of the doll (with help from engineer Jack Ryan) and the doll was given a name, Barbie, after Handler's daughter Barbara. The doll made its debut at the American International Toy Fair in New York on March 9, 1959. This date is also used as Barbie's official birthday. Mattel acquired the rights to the Bild Lilli doll in 1964 and production of Lilli was stopped. The first Barbie doll wore a black and white zebra striped swimsuit and signature topknot ponytail, and was available as either a blonde or brunette. The doll was marketed as a "Teen-age Fashion Model," with her clothes created by Mattel fashion designer Charlotte Johnson. The first Barbie dolls were manufactured in Japan, with their clothes hand-stitched by Japanese homeworkers. Around 350,000 Barbie dolls were sold during the first year of production.
Barbie was one of the first toys to have a marketing strategy based extensively on television advertising, which has been copied widely by other toys. It is estimated that over a billion Barbie dolls have been sold worldwide in over 150 countries, with the well-known fact that three Barbie dolls are sold every second.
The standard range of Barbie dolls and related accessories are manufactured to approximately 1/6th scale, which is also known as playscale.
Barbie products include not only the range of dolls with their clothes and accessories, but also a huge range of Barbie branded goods such as books, fashion items and video games. Barbie has appeared in a series of animated films and makes a brief guest appearance in the 1999 film Toy Story 2.
Uniquely for a toy fashion doll, Barbie has become a cultural icon and has been given honors that are rare in the toy world. In 1974 a section of Times Square in New York City was renamed Barbie Boulevard for a week, while in 1985 the artist Andy Warhol created a painting of Barbie.
Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts. In a series of novels published by Random House in the 1960s, her parents' names are given as George and Margaret Roberts from the fictional town of Willows, Wisconsin. Barbie has been said to attend Willows High School and Manhattan International High School in New York City, based on the real-life Stuyvesant High School.
Today the Barbie line is responsible for more than 80% of Mattel's profits.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:01 VINTAGE 60'S TWIST AND TURN BARBIE COMMERCIAL W MAUREEN MCCORMICK MARCIA BRADYby tracy80sgirlFeatured 128,650
- 1:32 5 Most Awkward Kool-Aid Commercialsby tanyatoxic 476,131 views
- 1:04 Coke keeps you thin! (1961 Coke commercial)by sangroncito 197,943 views
- 8:57 Vintage TV Commercials from the 1940's & 50's (7+ ads)by ubmx 92,072 views
- 10:00 Cartoon predicts the future 50 years ago. This is amazing insight!by Tarrin Lupo 1,784,915 views
- Barbie 142,153 videos3K
- 1:00 1950's Kool Aid Commercialby mark loudin 1,234,674 views
- 0:13 The Worst Barbie Commercial Ever!!!by bnfs 460,801 views
- 1:35 Mundo da Barbie - Melhores Momentos 2009-2010 - Magya das Fadasby Debora Olaya 552,166 views
- 1:35 Shocking 1950's Commercial!by tvp33 3,430,115 views
- 0:50 This Is Why You Shouldn't Eat Happy Meals -- Six Months of a Happy Meal's Eternal Lifeby desarios 2,383,373 views
- 10:52 Barbie ™ Runway Show 50th Anniversary 2009 Full Show.by Erich Ben 194,931 views
- 0:32 Sickest soda vending machine ever!!by MetalKingdomOfHammer 3,266,802 views
- 2:27 Barbie Gets Hacked!by kipkay 3,112,379 views
- 0:32 Real Casa da Barbie - Galáxia Brinquedosby GalaxiaBrinquedos 1,296,313 views
- 8:40 Barbie Transformation Tutorialby MichellePhan 42,980,928 views
- 1:30 Barbie and Ken are Together Again!by barbie 1,512,128 views
- 0:59 1955 Pall Mall commercialby Ernie Bello 248,679 views
- 9:06 Fairy Barbie Princess Make-up look !!!by dope2111 11,754,540 views
- 0:37 Very Creepy Doll Commercial From The 60'sby BinkieMcFartnuggets 1,533,962 views
- 1:47 Inside the Design Center Where Barbie Is 'born'by AssociatedPress 240,313 views
- Loading more suggestions...