1959 First EVER Barbie Commercial High Quaility HQ!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 28, 2008
This is the first Barbie commercial that first aired during Mickey Mouse Club! This is higher quaility then our old upload we did last year, enjoy. :)
Ruth Handler watched her daughter Barbara at play with paper dolls, and noticed that she often enjoyed giving them adult roles. At the time, most children's toy dolls were representations of infants. Realizing that there could be a gap in the market, Handler suggested the idea of an adult-bodied doll to her husband Elliot, a co-founder of the Mattel toy company. He was unenthusiastic about the idea, as were Mattel's directors.
During a trip to Europe in 1956 with her children Barbara and Kenneth, Ruth Handler came across a German toy doll called Bild Lilli. The adult-figured Lilli doll was like what Handler had in mind, so she purchased three of them. She gave one to her daughter and took the others back to Mattel. The Lilli doll was based on a popular character appearing in a comic strip drawn by Reinhard Beuthin for the newspaper Die Bild-Zeitung.
Upon her return to the United States, Handler reworked the design of the doll (with help from engineer Jack Ryan) and the doll was given a name, Barbie, after Handler's daughter Barbara. The doll made its debut at the American International Toy Fair in New York on March 9, 1959. This date is also used as Barbie's official birthday. Mattel acquired the rights to the Bild Lilli doll in 1964 and production of Lilli was stopped. The first Barbie doll wore a black and white zebra striped swimsuit and signature topknot ponytail, and was available as either a blonde or brunette. The doll was marketed as a "Teen-age Fashion Model," with her clothes created by Mattel fashion designer Charlotte Johnson. The first Barbie dolls were manufactured in Japan, with their clothes hand-stitched by Japanese homeworkers. Around 350,000 Barbie dolls were sold during the first year of production.
Barbie was one of the first toys to have a marketing strategy based extensively on television advertising, which has been copied widely by other toys. It is estimated that over a billion Barbie dolls have been sold worldwide in over 150 countries, with the well-known fact that three Barbie dolls are sold every second.
The standard range of Barbie dolls and related accessories are manufactured to approximately 1/6th scale, which is also known as playscale.
Barbie products include not only the range of dolls with their clothes and accessories, but also a huge range of Barbie branded goods such as books, fashion items and video games. Barbie has appeared in a series of animated films and makes a brief guest appearance in the 1999 film Toy Story 2.
Uniquely for a toy fashion doll, Barbie has become a cultural icon and has been given honors that are rare in the toy world. In 1974 a section of Times Square in New York City was renamed Barbie Boulevard for a week, while in 1985 the artist Andy Warhol created a painting of Barbie.
Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts. In a series of novels published by Random House in the 1960s, her parents' names are given as George and Margaret Roberts from the fictional town of Willows, Wisconsin. Barbie has been said to attend Willows High School and Manhattan International High School in New York City, based on the real-life Stuyvesant High School.
Today the Barbie line is responsible for more than 80% of Mattel's profits.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:30 Baby Shower - A Barbie parody in stop motionby Sam & Mickey Featured 1,657,097
- 1:35 Shocking 1950s Cosmetics Adby shaggylocks410,011 views
- 1:05 Coke keeps you thin! (1961 Coke commercial)by sangroncito300,087 views
- 1:01 VINTAGE 60'S TWIST AND TURN BARBIE COMMERCIAL W MAUREEN MCCORMICK MARCIA BRADYby tracy80sgirl156,710 views
- 10:00 Cartoon predicts the future 50 years ago. This is amazing insight!by Tarrin Lupo2,064,827 views
- 0:32 Real Casa da Barbie - Galáxia Brinquedosby GalaxiaBrinquedos1,582,504 views
- 1:06 Vintage Chatty Cathy toy doll TV Commercial 1960'sby VintageTVCommercials402,602 views
- 46 videos Play all old doll commercialsby emoxxxangelxxx
- 1:02 Absurdly Sexist Coffee Ad (ca. 1960s)by shaggylocks803,551 views
- 1:06 First Moutain Dew Soda TV Commercial HillBillyby VintageTVCommercials343,350 views
- 0:31 Creepiest Commercial Everby statman163,234,092 views
- 9:06 Fairy Barbie Princess Make-up look !!!by dope211113,990,355 views
- 2:27 Barbie Gets Hacked!by kipkay3,240,580 views
- 1:33 Man sees with 'bionic eye'by ITN3,572,955 views
- 2:33 Barbie and Ricky go to the Poolby Barbie and Ricky23,283,757 views
- 2:36 The History of the Barbie Dollby WatchMojo.com77,135 views
- 3:17 Barbie™ Life in the Dreamhouse -- The Barbie Boutiqueby barbie10,778,094 views
- 6:36 Donald Duck: Daddy Duck 1948by donaldduckforever7,273,260 views
- 3:22 The Barbie Hausby wogsland9,639,387 views
- 2:17 Barbie™ & Her Sisters in A Pony Tale - Bloopers/Outtakesby BarbieMoviesPage43,888 views