Coaching Mental Toughness
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 2, 2012
Coaching Mental Toughness http://www.mentaltoughnesstrainer.com...
Craig, the Mental Toughness Trainer taught a workshop at the Pacific Northwest Coaching Conference on coaching mental toughness. This video is Part 1 of the series on coaching mental toughness.
Now, let's start off by explaining what is mental toughness? Well, first of all you all probably know there is no generally agreed upon definition, so I'm just going to give you mine and we're going to go with that today. And it comes down to these four items: focused, confident, determined, and resilient, especially under pressure. You can fit some other resources, categories and mental skills under any one of those words. So what is a mental toughness trainer and how am I different than a sports psychologist?
I believe that a lot of the things sports psychologists are teaching are fabulous and I use a lot of the techniques they teach and you're going to hear some of those here today. But I really believe we need to go a little bit deeper than what most sports psychologist teach, especially with kids.
Everyone has underlying beliefs, what I call programs, which are also just their values. Those programs create interferences that get in the way of their performance. And a lot of times, you've got to also fix their negative self-talk. You got to get them to visualize and you got to get them to breathe. These are all great things and I teach them, but they're not enough.
Many of you know kids, who right before an event are about to throw up or they actually do. Literally, I work with some pole vaulters who, sorry not going today, just cannot plant the pole. Or jumpers, who that's it, stop, hold themselves, not going.
This is the kind of thing that lies at the deeper levels. So I have three parts today to teach you my tools, techniques and strategies that you can pass on to your athletes and also learn for yourself. I created them from working with athletes, specifically with teen and preteen athletes. It's my passion to work and help kids, because I found that when these kids don't learn the right perceptions and create some negative programming it stays with them their entire lives.
What is it that we want for our athletes from sports participation? We want them not only to win and experience the joy of accomplishments and success, but we want them to learn life skills -- right? We want them to learn discipline. We want them to learn perseverance. We want them to learn to set a goal and work toward achievement. This is really what sports is about for me.
What's really great about the mental game and the types of tools I'm going to teach you here, is that you and your athletes can practice them anytime and anywhere and this is what I teach all of my athletes. And I encourage you to do this with your athletes as well. Your athletes can practice what you're learning here not just on the field, not just in training, but to all areas of their life.
Go to SportsMentalToughness.com to get your free video training and guided visualization MP3 on how to perform under pressure. I am Craig Sigl, the Mental Toughness Trainer.
- 4:22:38 Jim Rohn - Best Life Ever (Full Length)by George Bailey82,122 views
- 1:25:27 Mental Toughness for Creating Outrageous Achievementby CalSouthern Psychology3,327 views
- 1:30:54 Mental Toughness: The X-Factor in Sport and Lifeby GRCCtv2,968 views
- 15:19 TEDxVictoria - Dr. Sean Richardson - Mental Toughness: Think Differently about your Worldby TEDxTalks65,089 views
- 9:34 The Military Mindset: Being Mentally Toughby Ron Collins5,562 views
- 7:15 Video 1 - The Mechanics of Controlling Your Mindby TheUHMethod2,033 views
- 4:57 Mental Toughness 1.2 - Steve Sieboldby Sandra Larson8,168 views
- 3:39 The Biggest Mental Mistake Made by Coaches and Athletesby TheCompetitivedge1,270 views
- 5:55 Mental Toughness in Sport and how to develop it - training session by Dave Diggle.by Dave Diggle15,767 views
- 2:07 navy seals mental toughnessby maroochydor13,533 views
- 8:50 Steve Siebold: Mental Toughness Trainingby EaglesTalent12,663 views
- 5:19 32. Mental Tapping, Is It Real? Grace Jones, Life Skills Coachby Denali Dragonfly — FasterEFT Master703 views
- 4:24 En mode coaching - Préparation mentaleby MCSbienetre961 views
- 16:24 Tony Robbins on Immersion Coachingby Think Big139 views
- 58:46 Miguel Ángel Cornejo - COACHING Y LIDERAZGO DE CLASE MUNDIAL 1by ESCUELA DE LA EXCELENCIA16,841 views
- 6:46 5 Tips for Mental Toughnessby Daniel Spatz17,174 views
- 3:12 US Navy SEAL Paul Tharp on Mental Toughnessby Navy SEAL + SWCC Scout Team U.S. Navy SEALs95,836 views
- 12:33 Coach Training with Tony Robbinsby coachingnlptraining98,039 views
- 21:40 FREE WorldsBIGGESTGym Life Coach Training - Tony Robbin's 6 Basic Human Needs Modelby WorldsBIGGESTGym Life Coach Training3,976 views
- 8:27 Tony Robbins Coachingby Robbins Madanes22,017 views
- Loading more suggestions...