Hoosier State Rail Series: Griffith, CP502, Calumet Tower And More, 5-2-10.
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 7, 2010
Over at all-CN Griffith Junction, a manifest goes South on the CN/GTW Elsden Subdivision crossing the CN/EJ&E at grade.
CN SD75I #5680
CN SD75I #5760
I was driving on 45th Street in Highland, IN when I crossed over the NS/NYC Kankakee Belt Line and saw a headlight to the South. This line usually sees only 10 trains a day so catching something on it is rare. The NS Kankakee Line runs from South Bend, Indiana to Zearing, Illinois where it meets with the BNSF Mendota Subdivision. It's a line used for NS traffic to bypass Chicago through the South countryside to get to Indiana and has many cool locations on it. Just South of where I'm standing is Hayes Junction where the NS line crosses the CN/GTW Elsden Subdivision at grade. Neither line is busy and the junction is hard to get to. The Northbound was a manifest with usual power, but still worthwhile.
NS SD70M-2 #2750
BNSF C44-9W #772
I made a stop by CP502 to see if anything interesting interesting was happening. ArcelorMittal's remote SW9s were busy switching around the mill. MSTX #301 was seen shoving empty slab cars in the yard.
An NS manifest to Chicago trundles through CP502.
NS ES40DC #7675
NS C40-9 #8866
Amtrak Wolverine 352 comes in from the West bound for Michigan.
MSTX #153 pulls the bottles fresh from the furnace to the IHB yard. NS power will take them to Riverdale down the IHB at some point.
MSTX #301 comes back out of the yard again with hot slab loads.
NS power leads another ordinary manifest West to the City.
NS SD70M-2 #2690
NS C40-9W #9747
Empty coal buckets return from Michigan back to the BNSF in Chicago.
BNSF SD70MAC #8832
BNSF SD70ACe #9285
MSTX #153 dropped off the bottles and returns back to the mill.
I abandoned CP502 for Calumet Tower, where three SOO SD60s were waiting to go West on the IHB. I had work later so I wasn't able to catch them but during this time, the infamous "Cal Tower Incident" happened here. I'm not going to re-hash the whole thing since I'm sick of explaining it to people. Basically, some other railfans were there and thought me and two younger railfans got too close to the tracks and called the cops. No one was ticketed or arrested, but we were given the usual speech railroad police give to railfans. Of course, the other group of railfans went on the "Illinirail" Yahoo forum and stated that we trespassed and exaggerated the story. One railfan went so far to say I hit an IHB cop days after this was filmed and spread the rumor online. I had to leave because of work but the other younger railfans there left to avoid further conflict.
List of pigs who called us in for nothing.
Mike (fatass in red SUV whose last name I don't know)
Before everything happened, I still caught a couple trains at the junction one of them being the returning L513 Whiting job with two IC SW14s facing the right way. This is the only train that runs on the CN/EJ&E Whiting Branch here.
IC SW14 #1505
IC SW14 #1506
A UP coal train goes East on the IHB main to the NS.
UP AC4400CW #6036
UP AC4400CW #5756
(c) 9th Street Productions.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:14 A tour of CN's shops in Homewood Ilby coryrusch Featured 524
- 10:03 Hoosier State Rail Series: Calumet Tower, East Chicago, IN. 2-18-10.by BoxcarFrank4,520 views
- 10:58 Hoosier State Rail Series: Several Hotspots In Northwest Indiana, 4-11-10.by BoxcarFrank2,673 views
- 9:48 Hoosier State Rail Series: Ditchers And Merger Consists At 5th Avenue, Gary, IN.by BoxcarFrank2,815 views
- 10:55 Hoosier State Rail Series: Roaming Northwest Indiana One Evening, 4-21-10.by BoxcarFrank3,171 views
- 10:32 Hoosier State Rail Series: Hammond-Whiting Amtrak Depot At Night, Hammond, IN. 2-19-10.by BoxcarFrank1,802 views
- 14:45 A Day Of Railfanning Illinois And Northwest Indiana, 7-11-10.by BoxcarFrank3,717 views
- 3:59 South Side Hotspots: Englewood Crossing, 107th Street, Blue Island Junction. 6-22-10.by BoxcarFrank1,314 views
- 12:59 HiDef: Craziness In Cleveland Pt.1!by thaxremix2,792 views
- 10:57 Homewood Railroad Daze, 5-16-2010.by BoxcarFrank2,523 views
- 14:35 Chicago Terminal Series: Busy Weekday Action At Nerska/Lemoyne and Archer Ave. Chicago, IL. 6-29-10.by BoxcarFrank13,303 views
- 2:55 Griffith, Indiana Railroad Memoriesby upcarknocker3,079 views
- 10:28 Various Hotspots In Northwest Indiana And Chicago's Southside, 5-1-10.by BoxcarFrank2,452 views
- 15:07 A Tri-State Rail Adventure: Illinois, Iowa & Indiana Railroading...by CSXno601699 views
- 9:11 Chicago Terminal Series: Evening Action At Nerska/Lemoyne, 4-27-10.by BoxcarFrank3,028 views
- 8:14 What Happens If You Cross the Line at Area 51by TheKookOfKong2,984,220 views
- 11:00 Hoosier State Rail Series: Pine Junction, CP502, And CP Hick, 4-28-10by BoxcarFrank2,751 views
- 6:01 Railfanning The BNSF Chillicothe Subdivision In Coal City And Joliet, IL 4-27-10.by BoxcarFrank2,416 views
- 10:58 Chicago Terminal Series: Nerska/Lemoyne And More, 4-24-10.by BoxcarFrank2,374 views
- 9:42 Dope Catches On My Birthday At Griffith, IN And Pine Junction, 4-13-10.by BoxcarFrank2,745 views
- Loading more suggestions...