Making "Captured Lightning" (Multi-million volt Lichtenberg Figures)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 6, 2009
This video describes how we create "Captured Lightning" (Lichtenberg Figure) sculptures. It was assembled from video clips that were captured over several years of production. In order to make Captured Lightning, our team of experienced "Spark Whisperers" uses a 5 million electron volt (MeV) particle accelerator to inject hundreds of trillions of electrons deep inside pieces of clear plastic (polymethylmethacrylate, or PMMA). The electrons come to rest about 1/4" to 1/2" below the irradiated surface, forming a cloud-like layer of negative charge, called a space charge. Since PMMA is an excellent electrical insulator, the intensely charged layer is temporarily trapped inside the specimen, similar to the way charge becomes temporarily trapped within clouds in a thunderstorm before a lightning strike.
Fully charged specimens are then carefully discharged by tapping the surface using a metal point. This creates a weakened pathway that allows the trapped electrons to suddenly escape. As they surge out, they form a highly-branched network of high-current, lightning-like electrical discharges. The white-hot discharges create countless branching chains of microscopic fractures and tubes within the PMMA, leaving behind a permanent "fossil" of the paths that were originally taken by the discharges. The scientific name for these patterns is Lichtenberg Figures. They are sometimes called "Beam Trees" or electrical trees - we call them Captured Lightning sculptures.
Unlike laser art, the branching fractal discharge patterns are unique for each sculpture. They are also incredibly detailed - the finest tips are thought to extend down to the molecular level. As with snowflakes, every sculpture is truly a unique work of scientific art, individually sculpted in billionths of a second by an unstoppable torrent of raging electrons.
Our sculptures combine high-energy physics with art. You can learn more about the history and physics of Lichtenberg figures or purchase one of your own at our web site:
We live our mottos:
"Physics is fun!!"
"Stoneridge Engineering - Wreaking Havoc with Electrons for Over 40 Years!"
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Iridescence" on
- 0:47 A Magnetic Linear Accelerator or Coilgunby speardockFeatured 232,657
- 1:39 Electro AeroDynamicsby stanefa 357,509 views
- 1:12 Homemade Coilgun Energy Weaponby TheLiquider 2,603,312 views
- 9:30 UNLIMITED FREE ENERGY IDENTIFIEDby mrgalleria 1,281,071 views
- 0:37 Making seamless tubesby JAMZAMI 560,284 views
- 9:37 Heat Forming Acrylic Glassby LostMachine 38,898 views
- 10:37 My 750 VA Tesla Coil! (Resonant Transformer) Lightning Machineby highvoltagefeathers 386,837 views
- 3:41 Homemade Particle Accelerator #2by clagwell 84,157 views
- 25 videos Play all Radiology trainingby Radiolopolis
- 0:47 Steampunk 1893 Wembley Tea Kettleby enganear 139,653 views
- 7:37 Free energy in minutes step by stepby kojsza 3,947,719 views
- 10:31 Pyramid Magnet - free energy - english subtitleby MrTermsof 668,819 views
- 4:28 FREE HEATING ????by FreeEnergyLT 477,874 views
- 1:47 Litchenburgsby Theodore Gray 142,562 views
- 0:40 Mercury attacks Aluminumby Theodore Gray 2,803,408 views
- 2:53 High Voltage + Moist Sand = Glass Fractalsby yoyoj3d1 19,170 views
- 0:40 Coil Gunby Aaron James Kocourek 182,955 views
- 3:17 Lightning in Super Slow Motionby Robert Patterson 483,358 views
- 10:09 Free Energy Geo 1- Earth Battery? Free Energy? Part 1 of 7by FORCETHETRUTH 65,658 views
- 1:37 High Voltage Beerby special4k4 221,013 views
- 3:07 Polycarbonate vs Acrylic Plasticby Motomaniac22053 220,644 views
- Loading more suggestions...