Making "Captured Lightning" (Mllion-volt Sculptures)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 6, 2009
This video describes how we create "Captured Lightning" (Lichtenberg Figure) sculptures. It was assembled from video clips that were captured over several years of production. In order to make Captured Lightning, our team of experienced "Spark Whisperers" uses a 5 million electron volt (MeV) particle accelerator to inject hundreds of trillions of electrons deep inside pieces of clear plastic (polymethylmethacrylate, or PMMA). The electrons come to rest about 1/4" to 1/2" below the irradiated surface, forming a cloud-like layer of negative charge, called a space charge. Since PMMA is an excellent electrical insulator, the intensely charged layer is temporarily trapped inside the specimen, similar to the way charge becomes temporarily trapped within clouds in a thunderstorm before a lightning strike.
Fully charged specimens are then carefully discharged by tapping the surface using a metal point. This creates a weakened pathway that allows the trapped electrons to suddenly escape. As they surge out, they form a highly-branched network of high-current, lightning-like electrical discharges. The white-hot discharges create countless branching chains of microscopic fractures and tubes within the PMMA, leaving behind a permanent "fossil" of the paths that were originally taken by the discharges. The scientific name for these patterns is Lichtenberg Figures. They are sometimes called "Beam Trees" or electrical trees - we call them Captured Lightning sculptures.
Unlike laser art, the branching fractal discharge patterns are unique for each sculpture. They are also incredibly detailed - the finest tips are thought to extend down to the molecular level. As with snowflakes, every sculpture is truly a unique work of scientific art, individually sculpted in billionths of a second by an unstoppable torrent of raging electrons.
Our sculptures combine high-energy physics with art. You can learn more about the history and physics of Lichtenberg figures or purchase one of your own at our web site:
We live our mottos:
"Physics is fun!!"
"Stoneridge Engineering - Wreaking Havoc with Electrons for Over 40 Years!"
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Iridescence" on
- 22:47 Symbols of an Alien Sky Episode 2: The Lightning-Scarred Planet Mars | Clip #3by ThunderboltsProject66,186 views
- 3:30 Making Electron Trees with a Linear Acceleratorby hayseed1957161,379 views
- 4:29 FREE HEATING ????by FreeEnergyLT562,800 views
- 3:41 Homemade Particle Accelerator #2by clagwell94,144 views
- 0:29 Captured Lightning: 2.2 million volt Lichtenberg Figure Sculptureby Bert Hickman522,457 views
- 4:09 Making 12 Inch, 2.1 Million Volt "Captured Lightning" Sculptures!by Bert Hickman39,167 views
- 13 videos Play all Making Lichtenberg Figuresby INUN0TAISHO
- 7:58 UNLIMITED FREE ENERGY- LIGHTNINGby mrgalleria14,260 views
- 1:12 Homemade Coilgun Energy Weaponby Valentin Ameres3,412,762 views
- 9:30 UNLIMITED FREE ENERGY IDENTIFIEDby mrgalleria1,527,804 views
- 9:37 Heat Forming Acrylic Glassby LostMachine45,138 views
- 0:37 Making seamless tubesby JAMZAMI695,243 views
- 10:37 My 900 VA Tesla Coil! (Resonant Transformer) Lightning Machineby highvoltagefeathers456,577 views
- 3:07 Polycarbonate vs Acrylic Plasticby Motomaniac22053238,806 views
- 1:39 Electro AeroDynamicsby Dr.Megavolt419,437 views
- 3:29 Lightning strikes footballersby SABC1,432,166 views
- 10:31 Pyramid Magnet - free energy - english subtitleby MrTermsof763,664 views
- 7:37 Free energy in minutes step by stepby Imhotep4,262,009 views
- 5:37 'The God Particle': The Higgs Bosonby Best0fScience801,135 views
- 9:58 How to make fractals without a computerby yummyfuture80,594 views