3 Reasons Public Sector Employees are Killing the Economy
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 31, 2010
As unemployment stubbornly sticks near 10 percent and any sort of economic recovery seems a long way off, think about this: The one part of the economy that's going gangbusters is government work. Indeed, since the Great Recession started in December 2007, over 8 million jobs have been lost in the private sector while the public sector has added at least 100,000 positions.
It's time to recognize that public-sector employment is killing the economy for at least three reasons:
1. They cost too much. As USA Today recently noted, federal employees make on average almost $8,000 more than their private-sector counterparts. When you add in benefits, the gap spreads to about $30,000. State and local government workers make around the same as private-sector counterparts, but their health and retirement packages mean they make significantly more in the end.
2. We can't fire them. The private sector has shed positions in response to slackening demand and the economic downturn. That sort of adjustment is painful but necessary, as it allows the economy to adjust to changing circumstances and workers and employers to move into new activities. Because it is guaranteed certain amounts of tax revenue and has a non-market mind-set, the public sector is largely insulated from such forces and keeps or even adds workers despite changed conditions. The result? We keep paying for things that we don't use, need, or want.
3. They create a permanent lobby for expanded government and higher taxes. Look at California, where teacher unions have spent over $211 million dollars on elections in the past decade. One result is that 40 percent of California's budget must be spent on education, regardless of the number and needs of students. Over the last 10 years, taxpayer contributions to public-sector pension funds has increased by 2000 percent!
Such sort of tax-based gladhanding is just getting started.
For the first time in history, the number of public-sector union employees is greater than those in the private sector, so expect to see even more lobbying for the sorts of mandatory raises and permanent job security that most of us can only dream of.
Because the public sector gets its pay and benefits from tax dollars and public debt, every thing it gets means there's less for the rest of us to save, invest, or pay workers with.
With the federal government and most states already neck-deep in red ink, it's time to cut public-sector pay and payrolls and return more money to the private sector. That will help spur the sort of investment and innovation that will get the economy moving and end the recession far faster than paying more and more money to government workers.
"3 Reasons Public-Sector Employees Are Killing The Economy" is produced by Meredith Bragg and Nick Gillespie, who also hosts.
Approximately 3 minutes. Got to http://reason.tv for iPod, HD, and audio versions.
Subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube channel and receive automatic notifications when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 43:55 NewsChannel 5 Investigates: Policing For Profitby NC5PhilWilliams4,886 views
- 15:08 5 Reasons Why the Senkaku (Diaoyu) Islands are NOT Chinese Territoryby independentjapan2009133,066 views
- 12:35 John Stossel - Public Sector Unionsby LibertyPen18,473 views
- 9:50 Battle for the California Desert: Why is the Government Driving Folks off Their Land?by ReasonTV290,212 views
- 10:01 Tucker Carlson on The Daily Caller, Jon Stewart, & Libertarianismby ReasonTV33,314 views
- 8:26 The Government's War on Cameras!by ReasonTV218,675 views
- 48:40 Dont Talk to Policeby russr3,257,074 views
- 2:47 Tim Geithner- I Used TurboTax!by truindep83,247 views
- 28 videos Play all Reason.tv on Health Careby ReasonTV
- 10:05 Bring Back The People: Reason Saves Cleveland With Drew Careby ReasonTV17,016 views
- 7:01 More Taxes or More Jobs? California Shows We Can't Have Bothby ReasonTV30,916 views
- 3:08 3 Reasons Why Obama's High-Speed Rail Will Go Nowhere Fastby ReasonTV112,521 views
- 3:32 NewsLife: Private sector offers 'flights of compassion' || November 13, 2013by PTV PH573 views
- 2:21 Stéphane Coles, coordonnateur du Forum du Secteur Privéby Kiskeya2,000 views
- 8:50 PUBLIC EMPLOYEE UNIONS (PART 2 of 2): ARE THEY TO BLAME FOR OUR BUDGET CRISIS?by KenKW1018,086 views
- 10:06 Wheat, Weed, and ObamaCare: How the Commerce Clause Made Congress All-Powerfulby ReasonTV71,731 views
- 9:51 21: Is It Time to Lower the Drinking Age?by ReasonTV43,109 views
- 5:26 What We Saw at the 9/12 Tea Party Rally in DCby ReasonTV45,527 views
- 3:14 3 Reasons Not To Sweat The "Citizens United" SCOTUS Rulingby ReasonTV47,552 views
- 6:51 Armand Thieblot on Public Sector Unions (1/2)by catoinstitutevideo5,457 views