This video is unavailable.
The Partisans - A Carol For The Rest Of Us
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 22, 2011
Offered with real love and affection for our religious brethren--and dedicated to the memory of the late, great, Christopher Hitchens.
Ol' Hitch, of course, would have just hated this video. He was a brilliant man not given to seasonal cheer:
"I absolutely abominate absolutely everything about this season of the year...it's not just that attendance and observance are compulsory and conscripted (though that would be bloody bad enough). It's that ENTHUSIASM is COMPULSORY TOO. You can't just conform and get by. You are always being urged to join in. Of what does this remind me? Of Dear Leader's Birthday in some godawful one-party banana republic or people's democracy, that's what." (The Nation, 1/13/97)
Sounds like fun! Uncompromising genius doesn't take holidays.
But though the world of infidels has lost an intellectual giant, it has a chance to grow and evolve. The shrill atheism voiced by the likes of Hitchens and Dawkins is fine for another generation, but there are plenty of atheists nowadays confident enough in their non-belief that they don't feel like they have to be fucking dicks about it.
So feel free to bow your head in insincere reverence as often as necessary--or hell, possible--this holiday season. Part of being a humanist is loving the weird, weird shit that humans do. Fellow atheist, you probably do all sorts of weird ritualistic shit that seems strange to outsiders and doesn't do anything but make you feel better about stuff--you just call it "line dancing," or "must-see TV," or "moderate opiate use."
As for Hitchens, all this glad-handing would have just pissed him off.
And that's cool, he has no idea this is happening. Because when you die, you're just dead.
Merry Christmas, everybody!
For more satire this political season, like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ThePartisansC...
Written by Andy Cobb & Joshua Funk
Directed by Andy Cobb & Joshua Funk
Produced by Mark Kienlen
Edited by Mark Kienlen & Mike Damanskis
Music by Joshua Funk
Couple: Brian Hunt and Robyn Norris
Follow us on Twitter! http://twitter.com/secondcitynetwk
©2010 The Second City Inc./Andy Cobb
The Second City Network is quickly becoming one of the hottest channels on YouTube. Our work has been featured on Tosh.0 on Comedy Central, G4's Attack of the Show, Inside Edition, NPR, MSNBC, CNN and more!
Many of today's biggest names got their start at The Second City main stages -including Tina Fey of 30 Rock, Stephen Colbert of the Colbert Report, and Steve Carell of The Office.
Do you want to be a better comedy writer, actor, and improviser? Then sign up to take a class at one of our training centers!
Study comedy for college credit at Second City: http://www.comedystudies.com/
Watch videos created by our current students: http://www.youtube.com/7dayshorts
- The Partisans Season 1 Ep. 4 Released: 02/02/12 Running time: 1:14
- 2:55 Popeyes Cajun Surf and Turf Review: Heat Lamp Hot Episode 4by TheSecondCityNetwork 1,134 views
- 1:02 How to Tell If It's Magic: Modern Women Episode 3by TheSecondCityNetwork 5,295 views
- 3:15 Character Actorsby TheSecondCityNetwork 1,812 views
- 8:47 Sullivan & Son on No Jacket Requiredby TheSecondCityNetwork 288 views
- 2:50 Taco Bell Tacos Locos Review: Heat Lamp Hot Episode 5by TheSecondCityNetwork 713 views
- 6:24 Nick Thune on No Jacket Requiredby TheSecondCityNetwork 691 views
- 3:25 Wendy's Pacific Cod Review: Heat Lamp Hot Episode 3by TheSecondCityNetwork 1,386 views
- 7:25 Jo Koy on No Jacket Requiredby TheSecondCityNetwork 27 views
- 1:06 How to Date in the 21st Century: Modern Women Episode 4by TheSecondCityNetwork 13,412 views
- 0:50 How to Take the Perfect Photo - Modern Women Episode 6by TheSecondCityNetwork 221 views
- 1:08 How to Dress For A Party - Modern Women Episode 5by TheSecondCityNetwork 3,207 views