Donald Sherman orders a pizza using a talking computer, Dec 4, 1974
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 16, 2010
The Artificial Language Laboratory is celebrating the 35th anniversary of the first use of a speech
prosthesis in history: the use by a man with a communication disorder to order a pizza over the telephone
using a voice synthesizer. This high-tech sociolinguistic experiment was conducted at the Lab on the
evening of December 4, 1974. Donald Sherman, who has Moebius Syndrome and had never ordered a
pizza over the phone before, used a system designed by John Eulenberg and J. J. Jackson incorporating
a Votrax voice synthesizer, a product of the Federal Screw Works Co. of Troy, Michigan.
The event was covered at the time by the local East Lansing cable news reporter and by a reporter from
the State News. About seven years later, in 1981, a BBC production team produced a documentary about
the work of the Artificial Language Laboratory and included a scene of a man with cerebral palsy, Michael
Williams, ordering a pizza with a newer version of the Lab's speech system. This second pizza order
became a part of the documentary, which was broadcast throughout the U.S. as part of the "Nova"
science series and internationally as part of the BBC's "Horizon" series.
In January, 1982, the Nova show on the Artificial Language Lab was shown for the first time. The Artificial
Language Lab held a premiere party in the Communication Arts and Sciences Building for all the persons
who appeared in the program plus all faculty members of the College of Communication Arts and
Sciences and their families. The Domino's company generously provided free pizzas for all the guests.
The following December, Domino's again provided pizzas for a party, again held at the Communication
Arts building, to commemorate the first ordering of a pizza eight years earlier. The Convocation was held
thereafter every year through 1988, each year receiving pizzas through the generous gift of Domino's.
The last Communication Enhancement Convocation was held in 1999, celebrating the 25th anniversary of
the first pizza order. In this last Convocation, the Canada Dry Bottling Co. of provided free drinks.
At each event, in addition to faculty and students, the convocation guests included local dignitaries from
the MSU board of trustees and from the Michigan state legislature. Stevie Wonder, whose first talking
computer and first singing computer were designed at the Artificial Language Lab, made telephone
appearances and spoke with the youngsters using Artificial Language Lab technology through their
school district special education programs. MSU icons such as the football team, Sparty, and cheer
leaders made appearances as well.
At this year's event, we expect to take a thoughtful look back at 35 years of progress in the delivery of
augmentative communication technology to persons with disabilities.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:33 12 year-old Computer Genius from 1984by Marc TasmanFeatured 971,630
- 30:55 How to build a computer with EasyPCbuilder! 2013 edition - Gaming PCby EasyPCbuilder 6,034 views
- 57:32 Finding a Voice NOVA 1982 (MSU).wmvby John Eulenberg 3,589 views
- 1:16:14 Visit with Jim Renuk Feb 9, 2011.wmvby John Eulenberg 4,643 views
- 5:17 Different sausage types and how they are made (the old fashioned way)by Dan Hanson 15,722 views
- 22 videos Play all Gammdags Elektronisk Musikby voodoomozg
- 8:59 An Elizabethan Evening - Part Fiveby aptsarchive 1,227 views
- 0:54 Mr. @#?%! [A 74xx Q*Bert-ese Obscenity Generator]by CountFunkulaMusic 2,844 views
- 6:57 Cerebral Palsy Therapy - Malek 3 years oldby Abilitycampinc 2,593 views
- 0:57 1950 early electronic synthesizer: 'This is music with a strictly electronic beat'by Clips & Footage 34,848 views
- 10:55 Talking Computer ("ARTI")by Rick88888888 7,943 views
- 1:52:46 How to Build a Computer - 2013 Version!by CareyHolzman's channel 35,626 views
- 9:03 An Elizabethan Evening - Part Oneby aptsarchive 2,754 views
- 6:29 Bryan's Storyby acdinc 12,582 views
- 2:48 The Baby, World's First Computer with an electric memoryby safepic 112,043 views
- 7:47 What is AAC? Augmentative and Alternative Communicationby CincinnatiChildrens 7,688 views
- 1:22 Magic Voice Speech Synthesizer Demo on the Commodore 64 C64by KilrPilr 31,435 views
- 11:23 EEVblog #280-5 - Talking Electronics - Old Hardware - Part 5 of 5by Electronics Engineering Video Blog 14,473 views
- 5:12 Apple_II_Mockingboard_Demo.AVIby roadkatz 888 views
- 6:49 Moebius Syndrome & Iby IdiosyncraticSheri03 11,134 views
- 41:20 ULTIMATE Build a Better $1500 Gaming PC Computer "How To" Guideby LinusTechTips 65,619 views
- Loading more suggestions...