Jon Kabat-Zinn "Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in Mind-Body Medicine"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 23, 2011
Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD, is internationally known for his work as a scientist, writer, and mindfulness meditation teacher engaged in bringing mindfulness practices, especially mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR), into the mainstream of medicine and society. He is professor of medicine emeritus at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, where he was founding executive director of the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society, and founder (in 1979) and former director of its world-renowned Stress Reduction Clinic. Prominently featured in the Bill Moyer's PBS special Healing and the Mind in 1993, the clinic and its research has continually demonstrated that most participants in its programs achieve long-lasting improvements in both physical and psychological symptoms, as well as major positive changes in health attitudes and behaviors. More than 200 medical institutions nationwide and abroad now use the clinic's mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) model to teach mindfulness meditation.
Jon Kabat-Zinn received his doctorate in molecular biology from MIT in 1971 with the Nobel Laureate in physiology and medicine, Salvador Luria. Kabat-Zinn's research between 1979 and 2002 focused on mind/body interactions for healing; on various clinical applications of mindfulness meditation training for people with chronic pain and/or stress-related disorders; on the effects of mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) on the brain and how it processes emotions, particularly under stress, and on the immune system; and on the use and effects of mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) and mindfulness meditation with women with breast cancer and men with prostate cancer; on patients undergoing bone marrow transplant; with prison inmates and staff; in multicultural settings; and on stress in various corporate settings and work environments.
Jon Kabat-Zinn is a Founding Fellow of the Fetzer Institute, a Fellow of the Society of Behavioral Medicine, and the founding convener of the Consortium of Academic Health Centers for Integrative Medicine, a network of deans, chancellors, and faculty at major United States medical schools engaged at the creative edges of mind/body and integrative medicine. He also serves on the board of the Mind and Life Institute, a group that organizes dialogues between the Dalai Lama and Western scientists and scholars to promote deeper understanding and harnessing, for beneficial purposes, different ways of knowing and probing the nature of the mind, emotions, and reality.
Standard YouTube License
- 57:21 Jon Kabat-Zinn: Coming to Our Sensesby UCTV, University of California TelevisionFeatured 233,123
- 1:17 Jon Kabat-Zinn "Intimacy with Self"by TheOmegaInstitute 10,671 views
- 2:15 Jon Kabat-Zinn "Heartfulness"by TheOmegaInstitute 10,951 views
- 1:59 Jon Kabat-Zinn & Saki Santorelli "Creating a Mindful Society"by TheOmegaInstitute 2,787 views
- 1:39 Jon Kabat-Zinn "As Good As It Gets"by TheOmegaInstitute 99,231 views
- 22 videos Play all Mindfulnessby hiddenfall
- 4:01 What meditation really is Jon Kabat Zinnby WhatMeditation ReallyIs 13,885 views
- 1:42:13 Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn's Benefit for Mindful Schools: The Role of Mindfulness in Educationby MindfulSchools 19,093 views
- 1:39 Jon Kabat-Zinn "Being"by Omega Institute 6,474 views
- 5:18 What is Mindfulness?by PsychAlive 5,866 views
- 1:34 What is mindfulness?by Samuel Stefan 32,016 views
- 20:22 Jon Kabat Zinn Breathscape Guided Meditationby GivePeace AChance 21,438 views
- 2:02:31 Finding Happiness in Troubled Timesby gyalwarinpoche 83,996 views
- 3:24:37 Mindfulness as a Foundation for Health: Thich Nhat Hanh and Health@Googleby Talks at Google 164,846 views
- 6:27 You are only alive in THIS moment!by Buddhism & Medicine 48,913 views
- 1:00:01 Body Scan - Guided Mindfulness Meditationby UnLearnYourself 50,407 views
- 26:59 The Healing Power of Mindfulness Part 1/5by tuckerfoundation 20,389 views
- 12:01 Mindfulness Meditation Taster with Jon Kabat-Zinnby BioSattva 28,513 views
- 3:16 Jon Kabat-Zinn: Growth and Optimismby greatergoodscience 21,879 views
- 1:06:03 Mindfulness - Prof Mark Williams Lectureby OMC Oxford Mindfulness Centre 32,425 views
- 53:43 Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction as a Strategy in Reducing Painby CIRPD's Videos 2,397 views
- Loading more suggestions...