Project Prevention: Mothers and Children Speak Out
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 10, 2012
Project Prevention, originally known as C.R.A.C.K. (Children Requiring a Caring Kommunity) is often described as a program that offers $300 for current and former drug users to get sterilized or to use certain long-acting birth control methods. It was founded by Barbara Harris.
While some people laud this program, others have also challenged it as a violation of informed consent, exploitative, coercive, racist and a form of eugenic population control. A few have addressed the question of whether the program creates a valid contract under standard contract law principles. Still others have argued that at its core, this program invites people to sell their reproductive capacity, and that like the sale of organs, sex, and children, selling the ability to reproduce should be outlawed as a matter of public policy.
NAPW's response to Project Prevention focuses more broadly on the question of whether or not people concerned with the problems Project Prevention purports to address --including drug use, pregnancy, child welfare, and public health -- should support it. NAPW's examination of what Project Prevention says and what it does, the data it relies on, the rhetoric it uses, and the influence it is having, makes clear that, far from providing a useful response to problems associated with drug use and pregnancy, Project Prevention instead acts as a dangerous vector for medical misinformation and political propaganda that has significant implications for the rights of all Americans.
NAPW believes that Project Prevention promotes a vision of pregnant women with health problems as "child abusers," portrays healthy children as damaged, and dangerously fosters stereotypes, prejudice, and medical misinformation. In this video a group of mothers and children respond to some of the issues raised by Project Prevention. As this video reveals and as this article explains (http://advocatesforpregnantwomen.org/...), Project Prevention undermines, rather than promotes, the welfare of children and caring communities.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:07 Tikby Cape Town TvFeatured 277
- 15:00 1 2 Hardtalk Barbara Harris Project Preventionby ProjectPrevention 3,033 views
- 1:25 st louis mother kills her children with shot gunby saranwashere 14,458 views
- 4:38 Inside of the neonatal unit for addicted childrenby Kanál používateľa stanya81 1,278 views
- 3:14 drug addicted babiesby MyNameIsAMYx Penton 34,020 views
- 8:20 Trena's Story: Pregnancy Prosecutions in South Carolinaby Stuart TV Productions 3,614 views
- 3:34 professor nutt newsnightby norris nuvo 17,217 views
- 2:22 I'm Pregnant And... Addicted to Crystal Methby Discovery Fit & Health 46,081 views
- 7:43 The video New York Liberals don't want you to seeby ZoeShoo Entertainment, Inc. 28,795 views
- 0:55 Man Wakes Up from Death Shortly Before Burial.by African Movie Reporter 77,900 views
- 10:43 Crack Babies - USAby Journeyman Pictures 82,878 views
- 2:23 The Child Who's Older Than Her Motherby jamesrouthtv 4,157,494 views
- 8:33 2_2 Hardtalk - Barbara Harris (Project Prevention).flvby ProjectPrevention 810 views
- 1:50 Mother Finds Own Child For Sale Onlineby WCVB 5 - Boston 977,281 views
- 5:23 WWYD? - White Mother Chastises Child For "Poor" Gradeby mrduckbears20's channel 121,699 views
- 7:09 Drug-Dependent Infants Detox at Tenn. NICUby ABCNews 14,716 views
- 3:22 KBS Kim yuna special - 거위의 꿈 LIVEby Yuna Hopper 200,210 views
- 6:11 POLICE STATE: STERILIZING DRUG ADDICTSby Federaljacktube 102 views
- 5:56 Born Addicts: Drug-Addicted Babies in the United Statesby ymanolova 8,008 views
- 5:20 Project Speak Out: A Bullying Prevention Programby LexingtonFairness 1,148 views