How the Government Makes You Fat - The Great Sugar Shakedown
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 11, 2012
From Freedomain Radio - Freedomain Radio is the largest and most popular philosophy show on the web - http://www.freedomainradio.com
original article: http://www.fff.org/freedom/0498d.asp
The Great Sugar Shaft
by James Bovard, April 1998
The U.S. government has devotedly jacked up American sugar prices far above world market prices since the close of the War of 1812. The sugar industry is one of America's oldest infant industries — yet it dodders with the same uncompetitiveness that it showed during the second term of James Madison. Few cases better illustrate how trade policy can be completely immune to economic sense.
The U.S. imposed high tariffs on sugar in 1816 in order to placate the growers in the newly acquired Louisiana territory. In the 1820s, sugar plantation owners complained that growing sugar in the United States was "warring with nature" because the U.S. climate was unsuited to sugar production. Naturally, the plantation owners believed that all Americans should be conscripted into the "war." Protectionists warned that if sugar tariffs were lifted, then the value of slaves working on the sugar plantations would collapse — thus causing a general fall in slave values throughout the South.
In 1934, the U.S. government imposed sugar import quotas to complement high sugar tariffs and direct government subsidies to sugar growers. By the 1950s, the U.S. sugar program was renown for its byzantine, impenetrable regulations. Like most arcane systems, the sugar program vested vast power in the few people who understood and controlled the system. As author Douglas Cater observed in 1964, "In reviewing the sugar quotas, House Agriculture Committee Chairman Cooley has had the habit of receiving the [foreign representatives interested in acquiring sugar quotas] one by one to make their presentations, then summoning each afterward to announce his verdict. By all accounts, he has a zest for this princely power and enjoys the frequent meetings with foreign ambassadors to confer on matters of sugar and state."
Sugar quotas have also provided a safety net for former congressmen, many of whom have been hired as lobbyists for foreign sugar producers...
Standard YouTube License
- 13:10 The Story of Your Enslavementby Stefan MolyneuxFeatured 1,862,729
- 26:06 Harry Potter, Star Wars and the Violent Fantasies of Crushed Soulsby Stefan Molyneux 14,070 views
- 1:56:20 Natural Education, Homeschooling And the Rebirth of Liberty!by Stefan Molyneux 7,602 views
- 6:25 Kony 2012 - Just Another Government Programby Stefan Molyneux 28,754 views
- 2:29:55 How to Meet Rational Women, and My Son Is in Prison!by Stefan Molyneux 7,652 views
- 1:05:28 Occupy Wall Street vs The Tea Party: The Grim History of Tomorrowby Stefan Molyneux 9,443 views
- 58:43 Hoarding Gold, Food and Friendship - Chris Martenson on Freedomain Radioby Stefan Molyneux 17,007 views
- 32:40 Why Very Intelligent People 'Fail' - Freedomain Radioby Stefan Molyneux 10,020 views
- 9 videos Play all American Boondoggle: Fixing the 2012 Farm Billby AEIVideos
- 1:24:06 The Future of Your Freedom - HDby Stefan Molyneux 3,735 views
- 57:54 Living Free in an Unfree World: Stefan Molyneux at Libertopia 2010by Stefan Molyneux 56,648 views
- 6:52 Screw Talent!by Stefan Molyneux 11,497 views
- 1:02:04 Galt's Gulch has no Government! - Stefan Molyneux of Freedomain Radio Interviewedby Stefan Molyneux 7,894 views
- 48:48 Libertarian Enslavement - Dr David R Barker on Freedomain Radioby Stefan Molyneux 7,610 views
- 59:01 There Will Be No Economic Recovery. Prepare Yourself Accordingly.by Stefan Molyneux 314,200 views
- 30:47 Putting off Procrastinationby Stefan Molyneux 118,587 views
- 1:10:43 Why We Get Fat - Gary Taubes at OSUMCby Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center 128,876 views
- 11:00 Statism, Cages and the Murder of Conscienceby Stefan Molyneux 13,309 views
- 1:15:48 The Colorado Shooting - An FBI Profiler Respondsby Stefan Molyneux 13,524 views
- 1:16:29 The One Percentby WarZalez 784,504 views
- 40:13 Chocolate, Cheese, Meat, and Sugar -- Physically Addictiveby headveg 285,131 views
- Loading more suggestions...