VMware announces Horizon App Manager
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 16, 2011
Last year at VMworld, VMware previewed Project Horizon, its cloud-based management service, which is part of an effort to help companies embrace the cloud and the wealth of cloud applications currently available on the market. Today, VMware is announcing the first product release associated with that vision, the Horizon App Manager.
"We're seeing all these iPads and tablets coming into the enterprise, and we're also seeing a lot of SaaS adoption," explains Noah Wasmer, Director of Product Management and Advanced Development at VMware. "I was asked to [launch] an initiative in advanced development to look at the next generation of computing."
A big part of computing's next generation is the phenomenon of users accessing an ever-growing number of applications from a myriad of devices, which is quickly making the days of device-centric computing a thing of the past. This presents a host of new challenges for administrators.
"[With] Salesforce and Trovix and SuccessFactors and Box.net coming into the enterprise, administrators are saying, 'How do I secure this? How do I control them?'" says Wasmer. The Horizon App Manager helps administrators address these challenges with a tool that allows them to synchronize their existing users and groups from on-premises directory services into the cloud. "[This] will basically allow you to keep all your security and passwords behind the firewall but now be able to add app entitlement in the cloud."
The service is priced at $30 per user per year, and it is intended to be extremely simple and intuitive to install. It also provides significant benefit for users by providing a single sign-on experience, eliminating the requirement to remember a slew of different passwords for each application.
"On the user portal, one of the things that we saw is that once users start using the service, they actually fall in love with it," explains Wasmer. "Many of us have sticky notes or some way of trailing all these different passwords. Once you start using this, you start saying, 'Wow. This is really how I want to work.'"
Horizon is a hosted service, and VMware expects to release new features and applications for it on a monthly basis. "We just really see cloud applications being the future..." says Wasmer. "VMware has been in the business of helping companies move from the private cloud into the public cloud, and we think this is an important step infrastructurally for us to help move them along."
VMware web site: http://www.vmware.com/
VMware Horizon on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VMware-...
Noah Wasmer on Twitter: http://twitter.com/noahsw
Standard YouTube License
- 29:35 The future of retail with Brickstreamby Rackspace Studios, SFO732 views
- 13:51 VMware announces Cloud Foundryby Rackspace Studios, SFO4,113 views
- 22:58 ScaleOut Software: In-Memory Data Grids for Enterpriseby Rackspace Studios, SFO402 views
- 18:04 BeeTVby Rackspace Studios, SFO2,820 views
- 46:00 Introduction to Cloud Foundryby CloudFoundry10,051 views
- 19:41 PARC tour, Part IV: keeping our cloud computing safeby Robert Scoble668 views
- 6:36 AppBlast Demo Footage from VMworld 2011by ClearpathSGrp1,748 views
- 21:40 Filemaker announces new lineup of database applicationsby Robert Scoble3,180 views
- 32:12 Managing ThinApps with VMware Horizonby VMware8,451 views
- 14:37 VMware's CTO tells me about vSphere 5 changesby Robert Scoble5,552 views
- 19:20 Installing VMware vCloud Connector by David Davisby TrainSignal3,910 views
- 11:57 VMworld 2011 - Interview met Jonathan Clark, VMwareby dutchvmug601 views
- 15:31 Citrix Receiver & CloudGateway 2by Citrix3,794 views
- 38:16 Episode #333: Introduction to VMWare ESXi Virtualizationby Eli the Computer Guy25,334 views
- 2:28 Default App Manager for Android [Works on all phones; No Root Required]by appiator15,845 views
- 49:45 VMware vCloud Director Demoby ilandinternet902 views
- 8:25 VMware vCloud® Director Overviewby Bluelock7,180 views
- 10:58 Tutorial How To Use VMwareby MrBOSSLUIS31,397 views
- 3:54 Proof of Concept XenDesktop vs VMWare View (Updated!)by Gunnar Berger8,528 views
- 6:16 Managing ThinApps with Horizon Application Managerby VMware4,116 views
- Loading more suggestions...