The 20th Anniversary of Daughters of the Dust | The New School for Public Engagement
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 22, 2012
The New School for Public Engagement is a division of The New School, a university in New York City offering distinguished degree, certificate, and continuing education programs in art and design, liberal arts, management and policy, and the performing arts. THE NEW SCHOOL FOR PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT | http://www.newschool.edu/public-engag...
ReMixed and ReMastered Volume 2: The 20th Anniversary of Daughters of the Dust
In 1990, Julie Dash's critically acclaimed film Daughters of the Dust won the award for Best Cinematography at the Sundance Film Festival. The film was then released in 1992 through an innovative theatrical distribution model devised collaboratively by KJM3 Entertainment Group and Kino International. On Friday, March 9, a new generation of viewers will be introduced to Daughters of the Dust at the conference Remixed and Remastered Volume 2. Continuing the dialogue from the last year's conference Remixed and Remastered: Defining and Distributing The Black Image in the Era of Globalization, we also reflect upon the film's innovative and successful distribution model. Following this year's announcement of Ava DuVernay as the first African-American woman to win the Sundance award for Best Directing, we ask, "How far have we come?"
School of Media Studies | http://www.newschool.edu/mediastudies
Come hear a panel of respected scholars, cultural critics, filmmakers, and industry professionals; see the film on the big screen; and meet the cast and crew at a networking reception.
Confirmed panelists to date include Michelle Materre, Media Studies faculty member at The New School for Public Engagement; Kathryn Bowser and Mark Walton, the founders of KJM3 Entertainment Group; Gary Palmucci, Kino Lorber distribution; Grace Blake, veteran Hollywood and independent film producer; Thulani Davis, cultural critic and author; Tracyann Williams, Cultural Studies faculty member at The New School for Public Engagement; Fabio Parasecoli, Coordinator of Food Studies, New School for Public Engagement; and Leslie Harris, filmmaker.
Joining us in the festivities are the filmmakers Julie Dash and Arthur Jafa.
School of Undergraduate Studies | http://www.newschool.edu/public-engag...
Food Studies | http://www.newschool.edu/ce/foodstudies
Sponsored by: The Office of the Executive Dean, The School of Media Studies, The School of Undergraduate Studies, and the Food Studies Program at The New School for Public Engagement. The event is co-sponsored by Creatively Speaking, Onyx Media and The Africa Channel.
Location: Theresa Lang Community and Student Center, Arnhold Hall.
03/09/2012 5:00 p.m.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:21:44 Roots and Character of the Egyptian Revolution Part 1 | The New Schoolby The New School3,263 views
- 1:49:19 Affinities: Villa Gillet's Walls and Bridges Series | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School5,825 views
- 1:55:41 Public Voices, Steven Pinker and Robert Jay Lifton | The New Schoolby The New School3,179 views
- 1:42:06 Economics and Occupy Wall Street: Solutions from The Occupy Handbook | The New Schoolby The New School3,445 views
- 2:14:53 Grand Masti Full Movie 720p (2013) [English Subtitle]by BestHarlemShakesTV122,277 views
- 1:37:44 PAM AFRICA:Our Revolutionary Daughter of the Dustby Paul Gibson473 views
- 1:30:44 Ruby Bridges Full Movieby Perlita Pionela225,571 views
- 51:34 Left of Black with Steve Stouteby FranklinCenterAtDuke12,102 views
- 10:01 1 - The Making of The Daughters of the Dust / Julie Dash and Castby Afrikanliberation1,174 views
- 1:36:19 Black Female Voices: A public dialogue between bell hooks and Melissa Harris-Perry | The New Schoolby The New School7,391 views
- 8:22 Marimba Ani Yurugu - The Secrets of Whitesby Black Power Productions122,447 views
- 4:30 Andre Porter--The Rise and Fall of a Jamaican Donby HomeBizUniv28,738 views
- 1:38:37 The 2011-2012 President Nestor Kirchner Fellowship | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School316 views
- 1:32:10 Public Art Fund Talks at The New School: Roger Hiornsby The New School1,324 views
- 1:18:59 R. D. Laing and Asylum 40 Years Later | THE NEW SCHOOLby The New School3,837 views
- 1:28:56 Joseph Stiglitz: The Price of Inequality | The New Schoolby The New School13,734 views
- 1:17:33 Using Corpora in the Language Classroom | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School10,607 views
- 1:19:04 Jackson Pollock's Downtown Years | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School822 views
- 1:55:35 The Human Face of Indefinite Detention | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School625 views
- 1:10:30 JULIE DASH | Master Class | Higher Learningby TIFF319 views
- Loading more suggestions...