Sarah HAMMER v Amy CURE - Gold Final, Women's Individual Pursuit
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 20, 2013
Sarah HAMMER (USA) v Amy CURE (AUS)
Gold Final, Women's Individual Pursuit -- 2013 UCI World Track Championships
Track cycling dates back to at least 1870 and, with the exception of 1912, has played a part in every Olympics in the modern era. Track Cycling events can be roughly split into 2 disciplines -- Sprinting and Endurance
This is a very tactical event in which riders try to outmanoeuvre their opponents. Sometimes riders will come to a standstill in an effort to make their opponent take the lead, which is the least advantageous position before the final sprint to the finish line.
This spectacular form of racing sees two teams start off on opposite sides of the track. It is raced by teams of three riders over three laps for Elite Men and two riders over two laps for Elite Women. Each rider leads for a lap before dropping back.
Kilometre / 500m Time Trial
This is an individual time trial from a standing start. Elite Men race over 1km and Elite Women over 500 m. The competitor with the fastest time is the winner.
Keirin racing originated in Japan. Contested over 2 km, the field of three to seven riders follows a pacing motorbike at an increasing speed, all the while jostling for position. When the motorbike pulls off the track with two and a half laps to go, the battle begins to win the sprint to the finish.
Two riders start on opposite sides of the track and compete over 4 km for Elite Men and 3 km for Elite Women. The winner is the rider who manages to catch his/her opponent or who records the fastest time.
Two teams of 4 riders (3 riders for women) start on opposite sides of the track and compete over 4 km (3 km for women). The winning team is the one that manages to catch its opponents or that records the fastest time.
This superbly tactical discipline is contested over a long distance, usually 40 km for men and 25 km for women in major events. The final result is determined according to points gained during sprints (one every 10 laps on a 250 m track) and when a rider manages to lap the rest of the field.
Up to 18 teams of two riders take part in this relay race contested by means of intermediary sprints. While one team member races, the other slows down to take a rest. When he rejoins the race, his teammate throws him into the action with a hand sling. The classification is established according to the distance covered and the points won in the sprints (every 20 laps). The Madison is held over distances of 25-50 km for Elite Men depending on the competition.
This is a race for up to 24 individual riders over 15 km for men and 10 km for women. The first across the finish line is the winner.
The omnium is made up of 6 events and is disputed over 2 consecutive days. The final classification is established by adding up the finishing places in each event. The winner is the rider who has the lowest total. At the 2012 London Olympics, the omnium comprised a Flying lap, a Points race, an Individual pursuit, a Scratch Race, a Kilometre / 500m time trial and an Elimination Race.
For more information and news on professional cycling, visit http://www.uci.ch or follow us on Twitter @uci_cycling. For more cycling videos and to watch live events our YouTube Channel can be found at http://youtube.com/ucichannel
Standard YouTube License
- 1:11:43 Men's 1km Time Trial - 2013 UCI Track World Championshipsby ucichannel28,009 views
- 2:33 Joachim EILERS GER - Men's Kilo TT - 2013 UCI World Track Championships, Minsk - Track Cyclingby ucichannel6,461 views
- 2:04 Francois PERVIS FRA - Men's 1km Time Trial - 2013 UCI World Track Championshipsby ucichannel21,186 views
- 3:17 Great Britain v Australia - Women's Team Sprint, Qualifying - 2013 UCI World Track Championshipsby ucichannel2,742 views
- 1:03:13 Mens Madison final - 2013 UCI World Track Championships HDby pompeyupompeyme933 views
- 12:11 Cycling Track Men's Team Pursuit Finals Full Replay -- London 2012 Olympic Gamesby Olympics24,935 views
- 3:04:01 Full Replay of Day 2 - 2013 UCI Track Cycling World Championshipsby ucichannel18,182 views
- 56:33 Women's Omnium - 3km Individual Pursuit Heat 1 | London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics11,083 views
- 46:47 Women's 500m Time Trial - 2013 UCI World Track Championshipsby ucichannel8,529 views
- 27:50 Cycling Track Men's Omnium Flying Lap 250m Time Trial - Full Replay -- London 2012 Olympic Gamesby Olympics48,125 views
- 17:24 Women's Omnium - Elimination Race | London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics43,147 views
- 17:15 Men's Keirin - Second Round Heats | London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics39,901 views
- 3:31:27 Full Replay of Day 3 - 2013 UCI Track Cycling World Championshipsby ucichannel15,762 views
- 23:40 Cycling Track Men's Omnium 15km Scratch Race Full Replay - London 2012 Olympic Gamesby Olympics17,987 views
- 7:50 Men's Team Pursuit Gold Final - Great Britain v Australia - 2013 UCI World Track Championshipsby ucichannel39,180 views
- 1:53:01 Cyclo-Cross World Championships Elite Men's Race - WHOLE RACE RE-RUNby ucichannel150,684 views
- 19:44 Cycling Track Men's Omnium Elimination Race Full Replay -- London 2012 Olympic Gamesby Olympics25,469 views
- 5:33 Team GB Set New Team Pursuit World Record - London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics80,598 views
- 3:36 Track Cycling in Denmark - Red Bull Mini Drome 2013by Red Bull!138,186 views
- 41:23 Men's Omnium - 30km Points Race | London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics34,391 views
- Loading more suggestions...