PopCap Games Breaks Solitaire Blitz Guinness World Record For Charity: Water
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 2, 2012
video by John Birdsong
SEATTLE & DUBLIN, Jun 11, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- PopCap Games, a division of EA and maker of some of the world's most popular video games, today announced the kickoff of an online pledge drive that aims to generate thousands of dollars for the leading water non-profit organization, charity: water. The pledge drive will culminate in a live, transatlantic Guinness World Records(R) attempt for Longest Videogames Marathon Playing a Card Game using PopCap's latest hit social game, Solitaire Blitz(TM).
PopCap has identified Kathleen Henkel and Laura Rich, both avid Solitaire Blitz players, from the millions who play the game regularly, who will travel to New York and London respectively to attempt to play the game for 30 consecutive hours on June 26 and 27, 2012, in an attempt to establish a new world record certified by Guinness World Records. The two marathon participants will also raise a minimum of US$10,000 for charity: water if they both play for the allotted duration. 100% of the proceeds will directly fund charity: water projects in developing countries.
In addition to its own "base pledges" of US$167 per hour per player (up to US$5,010 per player if each reaches the target of 30 consecutive hours played), PopCap has devised a custom pledge mechanism whereby interested fans can support charity: water by making an online contribution based on the number of consecutive hours of Solitaire Blitz one or both players achieve. With increments as small as ten cents per hour played, contributions as modest as US$3.00 can be made by visiting the Solitaire Blitz page on Facebook and clicking on the "Pledge" tab.
Kathleen Henkel, a 68-year old grandmother from Oakland, New Jersey, will conduct her record-setting attempt at a gallery focused on performance and installation art situated on the ground floor of the Roger Smith Hotel in mid-town Manhattan. Floor-to-ceiling windows on both Lexington Avenue and 47th Street will enable passers-by to watch Kathleen play throughout the day and night beginning at 9:00 a.m. EST on Tuesday, June 26. At the same time, Laura Rich, of Cardiff, Wales, will begin her attempt at the SEA LIFE London Aquarium, located next to the iconic EDF Energy London Eye on the River Thames.
"I'm thrilled to be attempting a world record and supporting a very worthy cause at the same time," said Ms. Henkel. "I'll be logging at least 60 hours of Solitaire Blitz playtime over the next two weeks to get in playing shape. I'm really determined to reach the goal of 30 consecutive hours. Luckily the space is connected to a hotel -- I'll be ordering lots of coffee!"
The biggest social reinvention in more than 20 years of the beloved card game played by more people than any other, Solitaire Blitz has already attracted nearly three million monthly players in the weeks since its official launch on March 12. Combining the simplicity of standard solitaire with social camaraderie and friendly competition, as well as the bonuses, power-ups and beat-the-clock excitement of PopCap's other hit social games Bejeweled(R) Blitz and Zuma(R) Blitz, Solitaire Blitz is incredibly easy to play and impossible to put down.
About charity: water
charity: water is a non-profit organization bringing clean and safe drinking water to people in developing nations. We raise awareness about the one billion people living without life's most basic need and invite others to join our mission. Then, we use 100% of public donations to fund clean water solutions in areas of greatest need.
PopCap Games is the leading global developer, publisher and operator of casual video games: fun, easy-to-learn, captivating games that appeal to all ages across PC, mobile, social and other platforms. Based in Seattle, Washington, PopCap was founded in 2000, was acquired by Electronic Arts in 2011, and has a worldwide staff of more than 600 people in Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver, B.C., Dublin, Seoul, Shanghai and Tokyo. PopCap's games have been downloaded over 1.5 billion times by consumers worldwide, and its flagship franchise, Bejeweled, has sold more than 50 million units.
Bejeweled, Zuma, Solitaire Blitz and PopCap are trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc.
SOURCE: PopCap Games
Standard YouTube License
- 2:42 Enrique Gil's "It's Showtime" guesting w/ Ms.Mylene - Singing V segment [02.06.12]by TheQuenaticsFeatured 166,727
- 43:48 David Roberts of PopCap Games: Opening Keynote NWEN Entrepreneur University 2011by NWENVideos's channel 502 views
- 2:21 Solitaire Blitz cheatby LeetHaxDotNet 8,277 views
- 1:17 Solitaire Blitz - 919Kby bchantech 5,405 views
- 2:05 Solitaire Blitz 747Kby b020306123123 935 views
- 0:53 PopCap Games - Plants vs. Zombies : Office Hoursby RyanBiz90 76,645 views
- 8:11 Popcap Hits Feeding Frenzy gameplayby www.dingplay.com 350,004 views
- 12:40 Plants Vs. Zombies - Survival Day Hard [part 1/2] (4 plants only, no upgrades) (commentary)by AznKei1 1,843 views
- 3:11 solitaire blitz - 100% Working Cheats and Walkthroughsby cabra white 626 views
- 1:25 Solitaire Blitz - 745Kby bchantech 3,567 views
- 23:56 Ultimate Guinness World Records Show - Episode 1: Pegs, Bubbleception and Batsby Guinness World Records 2,052,252 views
- 1:26 2012 Licensing Expo - A Look into Today's Digital Licensing Trendsby thelicensingexpo 982 views
- 15:30 The Game of Life - PC - Enhanced Game Mode - Part 1by Amaranthus616 7,433 views
- 6:34 Water Well Drilling by Hand: Where to Drill a Wellby Hydromissions 89,994 views
- 11:12 PopCap Games Dublin Office Tourby dylan365v 1,227 views
- 5:44 Plants vs. Zombies - Cheat Partyby WithPCGame 13,449,479 views
- 10:16 SURPRISE RIDDIM mix july 2012 ft buju banton,sean paul,wayne wonder,bounty killer and more....by d jones 8,702 views
- 4:05 Real Life: Working At PopCapby PopCapChannel 86,291 views
- 0:53 El Japonés más rápido en beber agua 4 .88 segundos!!by RecordsGuiness 25,176 views
- 4:08 tuto crack solitaire blitzby flickes blinks 562 views
- Loading more suggestions...