Super STOL C-130 Mishap
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 20, 2006
I have seen this video several places, many don't tell the story behind it, and many seem to have it wrong.
Operation Credible Sport, also known as Operation Honey Badger, was a United States military operation plan in late 1980 to rescue the hostages held in Iran using C-130 cargo planes modified with rocket engines. The Credible Sport operation was to follow the dramatic failure of Operation Eagle Claw in which a C-130 Hercules and a Sea Stallion helicopter collided in the Iranian desert, killing 8 servicemen. Credible Sport was abandoned after the election of Ronald Reagan as President in November, 1980.
The Credible Sport plan called for highly modified C-130 Hercules cargo planes to land in a soccer stadium not far from the American Embassy in Tehran and airlift the hostages out. Three aircraft were modified under a top secret project at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida to YMC-130H configuration with rocket packages blistered onto the forward and aft fuselage, which theoretically enabled the planes to land and take off within the confines of the sports arena.
During a demonstration at Duke Field, Eglin Auxiliary Field 3, on October 29, 1980, one of the modified Hercules fired its braking rockets a few seconds early (this seems to be wrong, see note below). The aircraft suffered an extremely heavy landing, tearing off the starboard wing, setting off a fire, and resulting in the airframe, serial 74-1683, being written off. Despite this, the entire crew survived.
This failure, coupled with the defeat of Jimmy Carter by Ronald Reagan in the presidential election on November 4, 1980, led to the cancellation of this rescue mission plan. The hostages were subsequently released concurrent with Reagan's inauguration in January 1981.
The other two airframes, serials 74-1686 and 74-2065, were stripped of their rocket modifications and returned to regular airlift duties. In 1988 74-1686 was placed on display at the Robins Air Force Base museum, Georgia. As of 2005, 74-2065 is assigned to the 317th Airlift Group, 15th Expeditionary Mobility Task Force, at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas.
One of the test pilots during the Credible Sport program elaborated on the test failure, the test with the footage now available. The pilot states that during the test the braking rockets did NOT fire prematurely, but right on time. It was the descent-arresting rockets, rockets that were supposed to fire after the braking rockets to slow the drop of the aircraft as the aircraft's forward velocity was halted and the wings ceased to provide lift that failed to fire. Looking at the video, it would appear that the braking rockets should be fired after the aircraft touched down to quickly stop the landing roll. However, the braking rockets were supposed to be fired while in the air, then the descent arresting rockets would fire to allow a controllable and almost vertical landing. It was these rockets that failed, with the crash landing and aircraft breakup resulting..
Note; the naration seems to be wrong on a major point in the video.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:57 C-130 YMC-130H Lockheed Hercules flight test accident crashby gmcjetpilotFeatured 12,443,284
- 10:00 Mishap of B-52 at Fairchild Air Force Base Washingtonby ATFSCrash 7,396,243 views
- 5:13 Caribou STOLby bargie38 152,838 views
- 2:55 Me 262 Flys Again!by Jim1410 2,157,178 views
- 5:14 EAA's Coverage of the 2010 Valdez STOL Competitionby FlyWithEAA 226,598 views
- 8 videos Play all Airplaneby mikekoma
- 0:43 C-130 Hercules & The Fulton Recovery Systemby militaryvideocom 296,936 views
- 5:44 C-130 Hercules on an Aircraft Carrier!!by ( AviationVids.com ) 1,225,662 views
- 2:09 Bombers B-52 1957by towringer 178,750 views
- 7:14 Coast Guard C-130 Hercules takeoff, fly-byby Gary Henley 128,758 views
- 6:31 SAAB Gripen STOL Capabilitiesby WestPoint321 497,111 views
- 4:10 C-130 Airdrop Loadmaster Viewby David Lee 110,702 views
- 4:15 Wilga STOL Aircraft Extreme Maneuvering Deadstick Landing by Mark McGhee May '09by 76realty 194,439 views
- Lockheed C-130 Hercules 9,980 videos54
- 2:58 RC C-130 Madien Flight Crashby Jaden Huibregtse 1,215,192 views
- 1:21 Blue Angels C-130 "Fat Albert" A Wild Crosswind Landingby TheVidPro 56,342 views
- 0:55 C-130 Hercules flying low!by Siemens Traffic 663,255 views
- 0:45 SQ2 GOT STOL?by alaskastolspecialist 543,690 views
- 6:13 STOL Maule Bush Plane Off Airportby proscllc 222,087 views
- 2:32 Extremely short take off Lockheed C-5 Galaxy America's biggest planeby LoveAviation 1,152,763 views
- 0:28 C-130 Crash Landing, Wing tip falls offby asams10 115,429 views
- 2:31 2009 Alaska Air show, Experimental STOL competition at Valdez Alaskaby Mosquito9958 43,334 views
- Loading more suggestions...