Chris Martenson's presentation at the Gold & Silver Meeting in Madrid
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 29, 2011
Subscribe to our newsletter at http://www.goldmoney.com/goldresearch. In this video Chris Martenson, economic analyst at http://chrismartenson.com and author of 'The Crash Course', explains why he thinks that the coming 20 years are going to look completely unlike the last 20 years. In his presentation he focuses on the so-called three "Es": Economy, Energy and Environment. He argues that at this point in time it is no longer possible to view either one of those topics separately from one another.
Since all our money is loaned onto existence, our economy has to grow exponentially. Martenson proves this point empirically by showing a 99.9% fit of the actual growth curve of the last 40 years to an exponential curve. If we wanted to continue on this path, our debt load would have to double again over the next 10 years. By continually increasing our debt relative to GDP we are making the assumption that our future will always be wealthier than our past. He believes that this assumption is flawed and that the debt loads are already unmanageable.
Martenson explains how exponential growth works and why it is so scary that our economy is based on it. In an example he illustrates how unimaginably fast things speed up towards the end of an exponential curve. He shows that an exponential chart can be found in every one of the three "E's" for instance in GDP growth, oil production, water use or species extinction. Due to the natural limitations on resources, Martenson comes to the conclusion that we are facing a serious energy crisis.
This energy predicament is namely that the quantity of oil as well as the quality of oil are in decline. He shows that oil discoveries peaked in 1964 and oil production peaked 40 years later. Martenson also shows how our return on invested energy is rapidly declining -- the "cheap and easy" oil fields have already been exploited. In 1930 the energy return for oil was 100:1 or greater. Today it is already down to 3:1 and newer technologies such as corn-based ethanol only provide a 1.5:1 return. Martenson predicts that the time in between oil shocks will get shorter and shorter and that oil prices will go much higher.
Not only oil but also other natural resources are being rapidly used up as well. At the current projected pace of use, known reserves for many metals and minerals will be gone within the next 10 to 20 years. The energy needed to get these non-renewable resources out of the ground is growing exponentially. So we live in a world that must grow, but can't grow and is subject to depletion. The conclusion out of all this is that our money system is poorly designed and that we need to rethink how we do things as quickly as possible.
After finishing his presentation Chris Martenson answers questions regarding a rise in efficiency, alternative technologies and oil prices. He also responds to questions regarding electricity, shale gas, gold, silver, platinum, palladium, and uranium and the race for global resources.
This video was recorded on November 16 at the Gold & Silver Meeting 2011 in Madrid.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:20 Where NOT to be when the DOLLAR COLLAPSE happens (USD, Fiat Money, Economy, Survival, NWO)by The Unseen ForcesFeatured 94,498
- 47:51 Chris Martenson and James Turk talk about Europe and the global economyby GoldMoney.com 42,558 views
- 16:15 Chris Martenson on gold, silver, platinum and palladiumby GoldMoneyNews 8,986 views
- 10:10 Jim Sinclair interviewed by James Turkby GoldMoneyNews 111,462 views
- 8:20 How can I prepare for these big monetary changes?by GoldMoneyNews 3,474 views
- Christopher Martenson 198 videos17
- 58:43 Hoarding Gold, Food and Friendship - Chris Martenson on Freedomain Radioby Stefan Molyneux 17,007 views
- 20:27 We're Going to Have a World Class Currency Crisis-Chris Martensonby Greg Hunter 16,488 views
- 6:01 Crash Course: Chapter 1 - Three Beliefs & Chapter 2 - The Three E's by Chris Martensonby Peak Prosperity Video Channel 97,403 views
- 38:05 Crash Course by Chris Martenson - 38 minute condensed versionby Peak Prosperity Video Channel 87,550 views
- 10:37 Why Did Silver & Gold Collapse? Mike Maloney and Chris Martensonby whygoldandsilver 79,301 views
- 24:47 Chris Martenson on peak prosperity and fiat currency flawsby GoldMoneyNews 3,853 views
- 8:59 Dennis Tubbergen interviews Dr. Chris Martenson on The Everything Financial Radio Showby Dan Kaufman No views
- 57:35 Chris Martenson Keynote Day 1 - 4th Annual Biophysical Economics Conferenceby Gund Institute for Ecological Economics 5,305 views
- 1:47 Crash Course: Chapter 1 - Three Beliefs by Chris Martensonby Peak Prosperity Video Channel 382,288 views
- 29:32 Cityboy - Secrets of Investment Bankers exposed (Geraint Anderson)by metrak 157,768 views
- 11:49 Crash Course: Chapter 10 - Inflation by Chris Martensonby Peak Prosperity Video Channel 188,924 views
- 6:21 Crash Course: Chapter 3 - Exponential Growth by Chris Martensonby Peak Prosperity Video Channel 217,761 views
- 4:20 Crash Course: Chapter 7 - Money Creation by Chris Martensonby ChrisMartensondotcom 221,548 views
- 12:33 Crash Course: Chapter 12 - Debt by Chris Martensonby Peak Prosperity Video Channel 136,122 views
- 19:13 Buy Silver: The Truth Exposed - Mike Maloneyby Why Gold & Silver? Mike Maloney 116,255 views
- Loading more suggestions...