This video is unavailable.
Chris Martenson's presentation at the Gold & Silver Meeting in Madrid
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 29, 2011
Subscribe to our newsletter at http://www.goldmoney.com/goldresearch. In this video Chris Martenson, economic analyst at http://chrismartenson.com and author of 'The Crash Course', explains why he thinks that the coming 20 years are going to look completely unlike the last 20 years. In his presentation he focuses on the so-called three "Es": Economy, Energy and Environment. He argues that at this point in time it is no longer possible to view either one of those topics separately from one another.
Since all our money is loaned onto existence, our economy has to grow exponentially. Martenson proves this point empirically by showing a 99.9% fit of the actual growth curve of the last 40 years to an exponential curve. If we wanted to continue on this path, our debt load would have to double again over the next 10 years. By continually increasing our debt relative to GDP we are making the assumption that our future will always be wealthier than our past. He believes that this assumption is flawed and that the debt loads are already unmanageable.
Martenson explains how exponential growth works and why it is so scary that our economy is based on it. In an example he illustrates how unimaginably fast things speed up towards the end of an exponential curve. He shows that an exponential chart can be found in every one of the three "E's" for instance in GDP growth, oil production, water use or species extinction. Due to the natural limitations on resources, Martenson comes to the conclusion that we are facing a serious energy crisis.
This energy predicament is namely that the quantity of oil as well as the quality of oil are in decline. He shows that oil discoveries peaked in 1964 and oil production peaked 40 years later. Martenson also shows how our return on invested energy is rapidly declining -- the "cheap and easy" oil fields have already been exploited. In 1930 the energy return for oil was 100:1 or greater. Today it is already down to 3:1 and newer technologies such as corn-based ethanol only provide a 1.5:1 return. Martenson predicts that the time in between oil shocks will get shorter and shorter and that oil prices will go much higher.
Not only oil but also other natural resources are being rapidly used up as well. At the current projected pace of use, known reserves for many metals and minerals will be gone within the next 10 to 20 years. The energy needed to get these non-renewable resources out of the ground is growing exponentially. So we live in a world that must grow, but can't grow and is subject to depletion. The conclusion out of all this is that our money system is poorly designed and that we need to rethink how we do things as quickly as possible.
After finishing his presentation Chris Martenson answers questions regarding a rise in efficiency, alternative technologies and oil prices. He also responds to questions regarding electricity, shale gas, gold, silver, platinum, palladium, and uranium and the race for global resources.
This video was recorded on November 16 at the Gold & Silver Meeting 2011 in Madrid.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:20 Where NOT to be when the DOLLAR COLLAPSE happens (USD, Fiat Money, Economy, Survival, NWO)by 829speedyFeatured 99,283
- Peak Prosperity Video Channel 245 videos13K
- 47:51 Chris Martenson and James Turk talk about Europe and the global economyby GoldMoneyNews 42,669 views
- 10:10 Jim Sinclair interviewed by James Turkby GoldMoneyNews 112,169 views
- 16:15 Chris Martenson on gold, silver, platinum and palladiumby GoldMoneyNews 9,395 views
- 32:54 Eric Sprott talks to James Turk in Munichby GoldMoneyNews 45,204 views
- 40:49 Ron Paul & Mike Maloney: Sound Money, Free Markets & Individual Liberty - GoldSilver.comby whygoldandsilver 311,503 views
- 19:13 Buy Silver: The Truth Exposed - Mike Maloneyby whygoldandsilver 117,980 views
- 21 videos Play all Chris Martenson presents The Crash Courseby ChrisMartensondotcom
- 13:48 Silver & Gold - When Do I Buy & Sell? Insiders Report - Mike Maloneyby whygoldandsilver 201,901 views
- 2:45 World Collapse Explained in 3 Minutesby compelled2283 1,771,984 views
- 15:01 Gold to $57,000, Silver Even More? Interview of Adrian Douglas Part 1 of 2by VisionVIctory 169,089 views
- 17:29 US Economy 2014 Collapse - *Peter Schiff* - FED will cause Huge Economic Crisis!by Gold, Silver & Economy News 25,878 views
- 10:37 Why Did Silver & Gold Collapse? Mike Maloney and Chris Martensonby whygoldandsilver 101,097 views
- 58:43 Hoarding Gold, Food and Friendship - Chris Martenson on Freedomain Radioby Stefan Molyneux 17,263 views
- 8:58 FAKE SILVER - I got fooled!by Zachary Bauer 107,200 views
- 3:34 The Great Silver Market Myth!by silver investor.com 113,708 views
- 2:40 $15,000 Gold and $1500 Silver - Gold and Silver Predictions By Mike Maloneyby coloneldecker1 91,858 views
- 20:27 We're Going to Have a World Class Currency Crisis-Chris Martensonby Greg Hunter 16,976 views
- 33:56 John Embry and James Turk on why the Gold Bull Market isn't Overby GoldMoneyNews 23,527 views
- 1:06:54 AC2011 Session 1.2 Come Undone: Kyle Bass reduxby eurocatalyst 161,484 views
- 14:38 $10 Oil? Mike Maloney Schools Bankers on Deflation, Gold and Silver (Part 1 of 2)by WealthCycles 212,479 views
- Loading more suggestions...