Black Atheists of Atlanta - Homosexual Bigotry Pt 1
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 14, 2011
This is from the May 23, 2011 episode of "The Black Atheists of Atlanta." The hosts make many disappointing comments regarding homosexuality.
Some examples include making an argument from tradition, where they claim homosexuality was originally part of Greek and Roman culture. A caller into the show is the most reasonable one pointing out that the Greeks and Romans may just be the first cultures that are known to accept homosexuals, but not that the first homosexuals were Greek or Roman. The hosts also claim that African societies are family centered, but homosexuality is not family centered.
They also make up scientific laws, such as what they call the "Law of Reproduction." No such scientific law exists. The idea seems to be that for mammals, a male and female is required for reproduction and that all members of the species have a desire to reproduce themselves. (I derive the first part from the obvious as well as commentary and the second part from their claim about homosexuality being a choice...or that one is not "born that way.") They seem to not recognize, or perhaps they are unaware, that evolution works on a species and not the individual. (The idea here being that not all members of a species need to take part in the reproductive process...at least not to the extent they suggest.)
They also discuss scientists being raciest, which is true, but they get conspiratorial about it, denying any evidence that might go against, dare I say, "their agenda" if it came from a white scientist. They give the example of Piltdown Man, which is indeed a good example of European bias interfering with the scientific process, but they, as many creationists likewise do, ignore the fact that there were scientists suspecting it to be a fraud from the beginning.
Another error they make is claiming homosexuals claim to be atheists to get out of the church. That is just complete BS from anything I've seen. Many homosexuals do not want to be thought of as atheists because then they will belong to another underprivileged minority. I personally see many try to reform the more liberal churches, using the claim, "God made me gay" to gain sympathy. It is true, though, that there are likely homosexuals who do become atheists partly due to questioning of their religion resulting from the discrimination. However, they don't become atheists simply by not liking the discrimination. It just doesn't work that way.
In summary, I was disappointed in that I heard a lot of the garbage I typically hear from Christian apologists coming out of the mouths of people who are atheists. Well, this just goes to show how broad the "atheist umbrella" is; all you have to do is reject the claims of a deity. There is no requirement that you have to make that rejection through critical thinking.
Standard YouTube License
- 11:06 Black Atheists of Atlanta - Homosexual Bigotry Pt 2by Leo Buzalsky1,079 views
- 14:41 Black Atheists of Atlanta - Homosexual Bigotry Pt 3by Leo Buzalsky1,055 views
- 5:23 Sean Faircloth at the Reason Rallyby Leo Buzalsky1,047 views
- 10:08 Let's support Gay Schmarriage - The Atheist Experience #712by Mattmon210,260 views
- 4:47 Atheist Experience #713 - christheatheist1 calls in about his latest videoby Leo Buzalsky2,567 views
- 1:00:36 Christopher diCarlo The Big 5 Questionsby Bill Ligertwood2,793 views
- 7:50 Atheist on the Black Church vs Gay Rightsby CollegeTalkTV1,728 views
- 7:48 Confused Catholic Bigotby RRoocckkyy5027,259 views
- 14:00 Pastor Fred Phelps Minister of hate Westboro Baptist Churchby jonwvin140,822 views
- 1:38:49 ( Homosexuality documentary )by thedyingboi216,824 views
- 22:07 Racial identity/Law of Reproduction - Black Atheist Of Atlanta - 08-29-11 Part 1 of 3by Lewis Jackson1,212 views
- 10:40 Dave Silverman vs. Everybody Else on fox newsby CRUClEFICTION126,102 views
- 10:33 The Growing Parade of Gay Preachers -- Liars and Hypocrites In Jesus' Nameby JesusSavesAtCitibank73,355 views
- 7:21 Black, atheist and gay... phew! - The Atheist Experience #631by TheAtheistExperience39,326 views
- 19:13 Imagine A World Where Being "Gay" The Norm & Being "Straight" Would Be The Minority! [Short Film]by HaierUp2,030,256 views
- 35:00 Dogma Debate - Atheist & Preacher Discuss Homosexualityby Dogma Debate w/David Smalley6,242 views
- 9:53 It's Easy to Kill Ni66as: Black Consciousness & Homophobiaby OnixIsis4,365 views
- 6:30 How Evangelists Sound to Atheists (The Atheist Experience)by bdw500061,659 views
- 9:16 Circular Logic Caller: Arguing over Gay Marriage - A.E. #584by kyokumajr121,020 views
- 3:56 Elizabeth Cornwall at the Reason Rallyby Leo Buzalsky156 views
- Loading more suggestions...