Michele Bachmann to Geithner and Bernanke: Where in the Constitution is this Power?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 26, 2009
Bachmann: What provision in the Constitution could you point to, to give authority for the actions that have been taken by Treasury since March of 08?
Geithner: Oh, uh, the Congress legislated in the emergency economic stabilization act a range of very important new authorities..
Bachmann: Sir, in the Constitution. What in the Constitution could you point to, to give authority to the treasury for the extraordinary actions that have been taken.
Geithner: Every action that the treasury and the fed and the FDIC is....been using authority granted by this body...by the Congress.
Bachmann: And in the Constitution, what could you point to?
Geithner: Under the laws of the land, of course.
Bachmann: And if I could move to the federal reserve chair, if you could point to what provision in the Constitution that would give authority to the federal reserve - this has been over 10 trillion dollars that we're talking about.
Bernanke: I don't know where 10 trillion dollars comes from. The congress has the right to authorize funds, which is what they did in the TARP program, and they have given us in the 1930s...they gave the federal reserve the power for emergency lending as a means of addressing financial crises which is what we've done.
Bachmann: And to the federal reserve chair - Do you believe there are any limits on the authority that the Federal Reserve has taken since last March...of 08?
Bernanke: The loans we make have to be fully secured and collateralized. We have practical limits in terms of our ability to manage monetary policies. So there are obviously limits. We have reported extensively to the Congress on all the actions we have taken, and the actions we've taken have been solely and entirely for the purpose of protecting the American economy from the effects of financial collapse.
Standard YouTube License
- 40:50 Ron Paul's Greatest Interview: Gold, Silver, Freedom, Free Markets, & Sound Money - Mike Maloneyby whygoldandsilver Featured 337,451
- 7:25 Senator Bernie Sanders Interrogates Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke - June 7, 2012by mccainisthroughX6,664 views
- 5:56 Alan Grayson Grills Timmy Geithnerby SilverShieldGrp6,010 views
- 8:12 Michele Bachmann simply doesn't know historyby boredjoewo13,562 views
- 6:08 Johnny Doe says Tim Geithner is a slimy, lying, scum sucking piece of corrupt trash!by johnnydoesworld14,877 views
- 6:00 Elizabeth Warren : Classic Takedown of Geithner Over TARP Bailout (from 2009) - MUST SEE !!!by Marie Marr29,948 views
- 14:06 Ron Paul Destroys MSNBC's Alex Wagner On Syriaby djgabrielpresents84,984 views
- 5:23 Bachmann Questions Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernankeby Michele Bachmann5,465 views
- 5:48 Ron Paul to Ben Bernanke "What Would It Take For You To Admit You Were Wrong?by innefitterosa28,172 views
- 5:37 Michelle Bachmann Questions Geithner Bernanke March 2009by Wez Theaussie1,672 views
- 26:03 How Ron Paul Was Cheated Out Of Presidencyby ThinkOutsideTheTV159,718 views
- 2:35:49 Congress Questions Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner On The Stability Of The U.S. Economyby MOXNEWSd0tC0M2,381 views
- 3:56 CIA Director Can't Believe Michele Bachmann Asked That Questionby David Pakman Show118,753 views
- 5:46 Elizabeth Warren to Geithner: It's called accountability! (4.29.09)by FinancialHands44,406 views
- 5:42 Heated debate between Michelle Bachmann and Ron Paul - FOX NEWS GOP Debate 12-15-11by GodGunsGutsGlory4KJV61,184 views
- 12:59 Rachel Maddow: Best Of Michele Bachmann FAILSby Les Grossman113,129 views
- 6:55 O'Donnell: Are Michele Bachmann, Her Staff, And Her Voters The Most Ignorant People In America?by incitebytes31,690 views
- 2:14 "Bernanke Threatens The Congress" We will cause an Economic Collapse if you audit the Fed!by 2xtream300,718 views
- 5:43 SEN. SANDERS GOES OFF ON BERNANKE_ 03/03/09by billschannel175,198 views
- 5:28 Fed Whistleblower Exposes Bernanke & Geithnerby The Young Turks53,280 views
- Loading more suggestions...