Tiny Origami apartment in Manhattan unfolds into 4 rooms
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 7, 2011
In 2005, third-grade-teacher Eric Schneider bought as big as an apartment as he could afford in Manhattan. He paid $235,000 for a 450-square-foot studio with a tiny kitchen.
Then he let architects Michael Chen and Kari Anderson of Normal Projects design a way to pack more density into his small space.
In order to fit more apartment in a small footprint, they created an object that's bigger than furniture, but smaller than architecture and that morphs with the changing activities of a day.
It's a large, blue, oversized cabinet that houses all of the walls/bed/tables/shelving/closets needed for at least 4 full-sized rooms.
By continuing to unfold, or fold differently, Schneider can create a bedroom with accompanying built-in nightstand and closets, but an office plus library, a guest bedroom, and a living room. Or close it up entirely and simply flip down the small bar and the room becomes entertaining space for a dozen.
The Normal Projects architects called their creation the Unfolding Apartment, though given Schneider's affinity for the Japanese sense of space (he spent his first year post-college living and teaching in Japan), it could as easily be called the Origami Apartment.
In total, Schneider spent $70,000 total remodeling his new apartment and this includes not just the cabinet, but the bathroom renovation, all cabinetry, kitchen appliances, furniture and dishes.
In this video, Chen shows us his custom cabinet of rooms and Schneider unfolds a few of his favorite configurations: his bedroom (& closet/changing room), office (& library), guest bedroom, kitchen, dining bar, living room and lounge.
Normal Projects/Michael Chen Architecture: http://www.normalprojects.com/
Original story here: http://faircompanies.com/videos/view/...
Standard YouTube License
- 17:03 The Real Walter Whiteby VICE Featured 3,167,452
- 19:54 6 rooms into 1: morphing apartment packs 1100 sq ft into 420by Kirsten Dirksen1,397,664 views
- 9:38 Lego-style apartment transforms into infinite spacesby Kirsten Dirksen5,677,829 views
- 5:08 Simple life Manhattan: a 90-square-foot microstudioby Kirsten Dirksen5,667,075 views
- 13:33 NYC "Swiss Army knife" apartment's walls open, fold & slideby Kirsten Dirksen313,544 views
- 4:34 The Itsy bitsy apartment with huge design - Tiny, Eclectic Amazing Spaces videoby SPACEStv399,293 views
- 4:30 Brilliant small apt fits everything - Tiny, Eclectic, Amazing Spaces videoby SPACEStv304,091 views
- 4:44 Woman's half-bedroom apt has awesome design - Tiny, Eclectic, Amazing Spaces videoby SPACEStv372,941 views
- 7:37 Tiny matchbox apartment hides closet & bathtub in drawersby Kirsten Dirksen612,029 views
- 9:21 Dhoom: 2 "Crazy Kiya Re" HDby NaeemKhan0695,747,428 views
- 13:26 A former garage becomes a transformable, tiny home in Bordeaux, Franceby faircompanies204,121 views
- 12:44 TrashKEA home design: trash + IKEA + design = eco-cheap chicby Kirsten Dirksen206,044 views
- 12:20 Space-invading apartment: walk-thru shower & fridge-in-drawerby Kirsten Dirksen163,703 views
- 6:54 Building an Adobe Homeby mindorbit7189,769 views
- 1:56 How to organize a tiny homeby Kirsten Dirksen385,073 views
- 6:37 Resource Furnitureby TasteofNewYorkTVShow848,265 views
- 4:05 Japanese Apartment in Tokyoby Ginger Hazzard Montes502,756 views
- 11:17 Como hacer lazos y cintillos: Lazo Valentinaby Hogar y Manualidades130,323 views
- 6:54 ¿Cómo hacer jardín desde cero?by lacasadechile348,763 views
- 6:54 Un mini-apartamento que se transforma en infinitos espaciosby Kirsten Dirksen523,106 views
- Loading more suggestions...