Ryan vs Dorkman
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 14, 2006
RYAN WIEBER VS. MICHAEL "DORKMAN" SCOTT
What began as a friendly rivalry between two effects artists explodes off TheForce.Net's FanFilms Forum and into the real world in a lightsaber battle royale.
Originally created for the forum's lightsaber choreography competition, this fight to the death will decide once and for all who is truly most skilled with a saber.
There can be only one.
(I did not make this short film, stop asking me how I made the special effects. Its a mix of rotoscoping, photoshop and After Effects.)
Visit their website at
http://www.ryanvsdorkman.com for any and all info concerning how to make this video, how long it took, or to meet the real creators of the fanfilm.
FAQs (from ryanvsdorkman.com)
How did you do those lightsaber effects?
We used Adobe After Effects to rotoscope the prop blades and add glows to them. Essentially the same way ILM does it. After Effects was also used for a variety of other visual effects you see (or don't see) in RvD.
How long did it take you to make this, and when did it come out?
We choreographed and filmed over the course of three weekends, and spent about 4 months on the effects in our spare time, finishing March 1st, 2003.
Did you guys have any martial arts or sword training when you made this?
Neither of us had any formal training of any kind at the time of making RvD. Just watched a lot of movies.
Where was this shot, and what is that thing in the background?
RvD was filmed at Carco Electronics, who built flight simulators for the aerospace industry. The machine in the background is a satellite tracking positioner, the specifications of which were top secret. After the machine was finished being built, it was shipped off to an "undisclosed location".
Where did you get the lightsaber props you guys are fighting with?
The saber props were actually built for this. They were made in several parts using a lathe, mill, and other metalworking tools. Aluminum tubing (like you can find at your local hardware store) were used for the blades.
What kind of camera did you film with?
Canon GL-1 camcorder.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:52 Aphex Twin - Come To Daddyby maniacmike94,373 views
- 0:37 Crying Ninjaby maniacmike3,590 views
- 0:30 Wall-E Testby maniacmike21,281 views
- 0:20 Mikes Sackby maniacmike2,090 views
- 10:00 RvD2: Ryan vs. Dorkman 2 -- HDby DorkmanScott1,554,187 views
- 5:18 RvB2: Ryan vs. Brandon 2by Ryan Wieber1,823,401 views
- 7:59 WHITE RANGER vs SCORPION - Super Power Beat Down (Episode 10)by batinthesun1,304,053 views
- 5:40 Coolest Lightsaber Moments on YouTubeby TheRiddlerStudios9,888 views
- 22:01 LEGO Star Wars The Yoda Chronicles Episode III Attack Of The Jedi (full episode)by TheKnightfire531,278 views
- 48:45 Star Wars The Old Republic: Galactic Timeline Records 1-12by GreyJedi913,410,827 views
- UndercoverTourist.com 634 videos26K
- 5:47 Star Wars 3:Obi-Wan Kenobi vs General Grievousby GogoGamesBG147,083 views
- 5:09 THE BATTLE OF MODERN JEDI: Lightsaber Duelby honskilled2,158,335 views
- 4:25 CONCRETE HUSTLE lightsaber duelby InfectiousDesigner7,339,133 views
- 10:00 RvD2 DVD: Commentary Track 1by DorkmanScott206,933 views
- 57:17 HoN TMM | MANDAMONIUM!! | Baumi plays Pandamoniumby Your Source for Daily Dota 2 Content31,491 views
- 6:53 Top 10 Jedi [HD]by Edvinuxas111164,248 views
- 5:42 DARTH VADER vs GANDALF - LIVE ACTION BATTLEby batinthesun1,908,765 views
- 27:21 Battle of the Brick: Built for Combat - The Movieby gametrailers13,728,408 views
- 3:03 Ewan McGregor Plays With Light Sabres - The Graham Norton Show - Series 9 Episode 12 - BBC Oneby BBC1,303,815 views