Great Minds: Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot [new HD version]
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 21, 2010
http://facebook.com/ScienceReason ... Great Minds, Great Words: Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot. A Vision of Human Future in Space.
The Pale Blue Dot is a photograph of planet Earth taken in 1990 by Voyager 1 from a record distance, showing it against the vastness of space. By request of Carl Sagan, NASA commanded the Voyager 1 spacecraft, having completed its primary mission and now leaving the solar system, to turn its camera around and to take a photograph of Earth. It was subsequently used by Sagan as the title of his 1994 book of the same name.
Playlist "Great Minds, Great Words":
Please SUBSCRIBE to Science & Reason:
BEST OF CARL SAGAN'S "COSMOS":
1) 10 Years After: Carl Sagan & Ann Druyan Reflect:
2) Lost Between Immensity And Eternity:
3) The Realm Of The Galaxies:
4) Our Galaxy, The Milky Way:
5) Our Solar System:
6) Eratosthenes And The Round Earth Model:
7) The Library Of Alexandria:
8) A Short History Of The Universe:
9) Artificial And Natural Selection:
10) The Cosmic Year:
11) Tree Of Life - 4 Billion Years Of Evolution:
12) The Miracle Of Life:
13) DNA - The Common Basis Of Life:
14) Abiogenesis - The Origin Of Life:
15) Astronomy vs Astrology:
16) Pictures In The Sky:
17) Ancient Astronomy:
18) Triumph Of Modern Science Over Medieval Superstition:
19) The Mysterious Tunguska Event:
20) Life Beyond Earth - Origin Of Life In The Universe
Voyager 1 was launched on September 5, 1977. Sagan had pushed for Voyager to take a photo of the Earth when its vantage point reached the edge of the solar system. On February 14, 1990, having completed its primary mission, NASA commanded the spacecraft to turn around to photograph the planets of the Solar System.
Between February 14, 1990 and June 6, 1990, one image Voyager returned was of Earth, showing up as a "pale blue dot" in the grainy photo. Carl Sagan gives the distance as 3.7 billion miles (6 billion kilometres) in his book.
Carl Edward Sagan, Ph.D. (1934-1996) was an American astronomer, astrochemist, author, and highly successful popularizer of astronomy, astrophysics and other natural sciences. He pioneered exobiology and promoted the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI).
He is world-famous for writing popular science books and for co-writing and presenting the award-winning 1980 television series "Cosmos: A Personal Voyage", which has been seen by more than 600 million people in over 60 countries, making it the most widely watched PBS program in history.
A book to accompany the program was also published. He also wrote the novel "Contact", the basis for the 1997 Robert Zemecki's film of the same name starring Jodie Foster.
During his lifetime, Sagan published more than 600 scientific papers and popular articles and was author, co-author, or editor of more than 20 books. In his works, he frequently advocated skeptical inquiry, secular humanism, and the scientific method.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:31:24 The definitive guide to the milky way galaxyby Jung LeeFeatured 823,220
- 10:00 Carl Sagan's last interview, part 1 of 3by bishop8000 488,656 views
- 9:15 A Universe Not Made For Us HD: Carl Sagan on religion, geocentrism [Carl Sagan Tribute Series]by Callum C. J. Sutherland 246,190 views
- 5:47 If Atheists Ruled The World [Special Guest: AronRa]by FFreeThinker 82,388 views
- 3:06 Carl Sagan: We Humans Are Capable Of Greatnessby WesTCoastiNTwo 50,793 views
- 41 videos Play all Philosophyby rhonda4333
- 7:00 James Randi Speaks: Carl Saganby JamesRandiFoundation 211,719 views
- 0:44 The Best Richard Dawkins Moment Ever!!!by ZachValkyrie 1,351,416 views
- 4:26 How Did You Lose Your Religion?by FFreeThinker 523,660 views
- 5:22 On The Day Carl Sagan Diedby midhrifs 760,842 views
- 4:26 The Biggest Stars In The Universeby The Science Channel 1,125,435 views
- 7:26 The True Core Of The Jesus Myth | Christopher Hitchens @ FreedomFest (1)by FFreeThinker 949,571 views
- 5:13 The Pale Blue Dot - A Tribute to Carl Saganby TheThinkingAtheist 85,412 views
- 2:09 Barack Obama Mocks And Makes Fun Of The Bible—No Christian Would Do Thisby harvardlawgrad 940,172 views
- 9:34 Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot (Extended Version)by rareformulamusic 79,486 views
- 5:45 Our Place in the Universe - Carl Saganby Gabebro1 134,516 views
- 4:34 'I Am Offended!' - Richard Dawkins @ UC Berkeleyby FFreeThinker 638,917 views
- 52:11 Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking and Arthur C. Clarke - God, The Universe and Everything Else (1988)by TheScienceFoundation 580,229 views
- 2:02 Great Minds: Richard Dawkins - 'We Are Going To Die!'by FFreeThinker 141,038 views
- Carl Sagan 7,619 videos1K
- 8:30 Carl Sagan - Cosmos - Drake Equationby CarlSaganPortal 375,298 views
- 7:29 Arguments From Ignorance (1/2)by FFreeThinker 53,378 views
- Loading more suggestions...