Story of Mitrovica behind the headlines
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 7, 2007
chronicle of a death foretold?
Filmed in Summer 2003
Voiceover (In English)
The future of the Mitrovica region, once the industrial heart of Kosovo, is hanging in the balance. Foreign peacekeepers and police patrol the town. In the world, Mitrovica is widely known for its separated communities and images of ethnic violence. International forces guard the lines of division.
Behind the headlines there is a story of economic collapse. 11,000 people once worked at Mitrovica's major employer, the Trepa mining and metallurgy enterprise. Mitrovica was a multi-ethnic "one--company" town. But fire has destroyed its zinc processing plant. Its mine, once one of the biggest in Europe, is affected by flooding. And its lead smelter is closed because of environmental concerns. Today Trepča produces and sells nothing.
Mitrovica's divided status means that money comes in from Pristina and Belgrade, and from international organisations. But how long will this last? Who will invest in the future? Other regions of the Balkans deal with ethnic tension. Other towns of the Balkans face industrial decline. Mitrovica faces both. So can the town survive? Can the people of Mitrovica's various communities rebuild their lives?
INTERVIEW WITH 3 BOYS (UNNAMED)
Partisan Hill -- North Mitrovica
First boy (in Albanian)
The people living here... how can I say this?...are Albanians, Serbs (Shkije) and Bosniaks. Three people. The Albanian houses are down there, around here, and on the other side of the bridge. The Serbs live around here, down there as well as downtown. The Bosniaks live there and up here. Yes, here there are Albanians, Serbs and Bosniaks.
Second boy (In Serbian)
There are three kinds of people, three nationalities, three nations living in these three apartment blocks -- -- Shiptars-Albanians, Serbs and Bosniaks.
Third boy (In Serbian)
I live in Mikronaselje, which is in Mitrovica. My street is Vlade Ćetkovića and a mix of people live there. There are Serbs, Muslims, Albanians. We are friends with them. They like to provoke us, but we don't care about that. That is what I have to tell you. I live modestly with my family, I have a brother, mother and father.
Kosovo Albanians and Kosovo Serbs are the two biggest communities in Mitrovica
Standard YouTube License
- 3:46 Fear and Exodus: Ethnic Serbs squeezed out of Kosovoby RT Featured 13,548
- 5:27 Mitrovica past and futureby Gerald Knaus24,675 views
- 3:14 The footballers' storyby Gerald Knaus4,536 views
- 43:19 MAGAZINA ZGJEDHORE - MITROVICA - 13.11.2013 - KLANKOSOVA.tvby KlanKosovaOfficial2,266 views
- 4:30 Life in North Mitrovicaby Gerald Knaus33,747 views
- 59:15 TV Mitrovica - Rapsodia Folklorike - Hasan Kqiqiby naser fejzullahu6,065 views
- 5:00 The Trepca storyby Gerald Knaus29,032 views
- 28:39 Agim Bahtiri ne Tv Mitrovica 26-09-2013.by Akr Mitrovicë395 views
- 11:30 Mitrovica 2013 - Pjesa 2 (Full HD Video)by pajazitlushtaku1,270 views
- 3:39 Life in South Mitrovicaby Gerald Knaus32,205 views
- 6:11 Chinese Steam, Baiyin 3by blackthorne572,777 views
- 4:37 Trapped - the Forgotten Story of the Mitrovica Roma (excerpt)by mundiromani982 views
- 6:37 Serbian students in Kosovska Mitrovica - SAVE OUR FUTURE.by weareonourown24,892 views
- 7:59 Kelly Mine, NM: Part 1 - Smithsoniteby Edward Rozylowicz2,683 views
- 4:04 mitrovica 2008by burim istrefi11,128 views
- 9:51 SREMSKA MITROVICAby KobajaMB8,642 views
- 3:22 Mitrovica Rock Schoolby RnW4,201 views
- 6:28 Majina & Nenova svadba -Kosovska Mitrovica- 13.Juna 2009by tasako7115,386 views
- 5:29 The Divided City of Mitrovica (in Romanian)by Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty2,839 views
- 2:58 Kosovska Mitrovicaby Boris Krajnc39,933 views
- Loading more suggestions...