Marcia Weinstein Lecture - China's Global Influence: Political, Military, and Economic
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 21, 2013
China's economic and military advances over the past thirty years have made it an important international actor whose voice carries great weight in any discussion of global issues. Other nations have reacted with a mixture of awe and apprehension: the rise of China is fraught with both danger and opportunity. At the same time, these rapid advances have created strains within Chinese society that may ultimately slow or halt its spectacular progress short of the superpower status that is the dream of many patriots. This talk will examine both the accomplishments thus far and the pitfalls ahead.
June Teufel Dreyer is a Professor of Political Science at the University of Miami. Dr. Dreyer received her B.A. in Political Science from Wellesley College. Her M.A. in Asian Studies is from Harvard Univ., and her Ph.D. in Government and Far Eastern languages is from Harvard Univ.
Dr. Dreyer has researched and written extensively about China's government, foreign relations, geopolitical, and military affairs, before and since the end of the Cold war and restoration of relations between China and the United States.
Dr. Dreyer has held Congressional appointment to the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission, served as Chief Far East Specialist for the Library of Congress, and served as Asia Adviser to Chief of Naval Operations, United States Navy.
This event is supported by the Marcia Weinstein bequest,
and sponsored by PSU Institute for Asian Studies,
The Mark Spencer Hotel, and World Affairs Council of Oregon
March 16, 2013
Standard YouTube License
- 24:12 CrossTalk: Rising China, Pivoting Americaby RT Featured 11,702
- 1:25:46 Power, Wealth, and a Confucius for Today- A lecture by Dr. Peter K. Bol, Harvard University 1.1by Portland State University3,460 views
- 0:52 Stephen Fisk sings :: One Day at PSU 2013by Portland State University142 views
- 0:44 PSU Fridays Doughnut Giveawayby Portland State University291 views
- 1:38 La Rondine :: Portland State University Opera 2013by Portland State University1,209 views
- 1:34:10 When China Rules the Worldby The University of Melbourne51,579 views
- 1:30:46 Why China Cannot Rise Peacefullyby CÉPI CIPS19,143 views
- 1:21:33 John Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt - The Israel Lobby and US Foreign Policyby Forum Network6,356 views
- 1:12:38 "Can China Rise Peacefully?" with Dr. John Mearsheimerby Robert Strauss4,377 views
- 1:42:53 Managing Tensions in the South China Sea- Role of International Law in Managing the Disputesby Center for Strategic & International Studies1,217 views
- 1:44:10 Public Lecture: 'How China will Change the World'by Confucius Adelaide2,312 views
- 1:53:41 The Cultural Foundations of Chinese Communism - Lecture by Elizabeth Perryby icinstitute432 views
- 1:38:08 9/11 attack - A conspiracy of bad US government policies and half truthsby AnalistReview12,586 views
- 1:20:39 2013 Strategy Conference Keynote- John Mearsheimer, University of Chicagoby USArmyWarCollege4,348 views
- 1:18:47 Paul Dibb: The rise of China and the inevitable decline of Americaby ANUchannel32,844 views
- 1:03:05 John Mearsheimer: Inevitability of the One State Solutionby OccupyingTheMind3,140 views
- 23:07 China's New Leadership and the Prospects for Economic and Political Reformby BelferCenter417 views
- 58:22 The World's Next Superpower by Mark Finleyby BeyondPatmos88,031 views
- 21:30 TED Talks - Understanding the rise of China - Martin Jacques - YouTubeby PatrickChen0075,985 views
- 1:06:02 The Politics and Ethics of the Rise of China: David Kangby Ian McKay3,715 views
- Loading more suggestions...