Published on May 22, 2012
I want to thank each and every one of you who has taken the time to come and watch my videos and subscribe! So Caerdwyn and I thought you might like to try one of our favorite dishes. Minestrone means literally "Big soup" in Italian and is a general term for any vegetable soup or stew.
THE MANLIEST MINESTRONE IN THE WORLD
Feeds 4 hungry bronies
This is a hearty, stew-like minestrone soup that's damned healthy too.
½ pound carrots (3 or 4 good-sized ones)
1 sweet yellow onion
1 medium bunch celery (you'll need 4-5 stalks)
1 pound red potatoes
1 28-oz jar tomato & basil pasta sauce
1 bottle or can of beer (important: choose a NON-HOPPY, malty beer... this is the ONLY TIME you can get away with Hamms or Miller in your kitchen!)
½ pound noodles
2 tablespoons crushed garlic
optional: 1½ pounds chicken breasts OR 1½ pounds inexpensive lean steak (London broil, bottom sirloin or bottom round is fine)
2 tablespoons spice mix (anything that goes well on steak or chicken; Emeril's Essence, Weber's Chicago Steak or Weber's Kickin' Chicken all are excellent and very manly)
2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce (if using steak)
1. Slice the celery and carrots into ¼" pieces. Cut the onion into slivers.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot (8-quart or larger). Add the garlic and stir.
3. Add the celery, onions and carrots to the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir-fry on high heat until the onions begin to turn translucent and a thick broth starts to form, stirring often (probably about 5 minutes).
4. Add the tomato sauce, spice mix and beer. Stir well, then turn down the heat to low and cover.
5. Cut the potatoes into ¾" pieces and add to the pot.
6. (if using meat) Cut the steak or chicken into ¾" pieces.
7. (if using meat) Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a nonstick frying pan.
8. (if using meat) Add the meat to the frying pan. Add salt to taste. If using steak, also add 2 tablespoons of Worchestershire sauce. Stir-fry on high heat until the steak is browned or until the chicken shows no pink. Add meat and juices to the pot. Stir well.
9. Simmer covered over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
10. Have a beer or cider. Watch ponies. Debate who is Best Pony. Realize it's Applejack.
11. 15 minutes before serving, cook the noodles per the instructions on the package; drain the noodles. Stir into the soup just before serving.
Serve with plenty of crusty bread, a spinach salad, and friends. Recommended MLP:FIM episode for dinner theater: Hearth's Warming Eve.
(note: it is common to not add enough salt or pepper during cooking, so have salt and pepper available at the table!)
BONUS RECIPE: Übersalad
Yum-yums for 4 bronies or the main course for 2. Good enough for dessert.
1 6-oz bag of fresh baby spinach leaves
16 oz of "fresh-style" mozzarella cheese
1 6-oz package of fresh blackberries or fresh raspberries (inspect carefully for mold, raspberries do not stay mold-free for long!)
1 16-oz basket of fresh strawberries
Poppy seed dressing or blush wine vinaigrette dressing or balsamic vinaigrette dressing (something sweet and/or tart. Avoid salty or savory dressings like Caesar, Ranch, or Thousand Island.)
Divide the spinach onto plates as a flat bed of leaves.
Cut the mozzarella cheese into thin slices. Array along one side of the plates.
Divide the blackberries. Array along the opposite side of the plates.
Cut the tops of the strawberries off, then cut the strawberries into quarters. Arrange into piles in the center of the plates. Ain't it all pretty?
Serve with dressing to taste. Goes particularly well with a sweet hard cider like Woodchuck Amber, Magnars, Aspall Demi-Sec or Hornsby's Crisp (sparkling non-alcoholic apple ciders work great too). Recommended MLP:FIM episode for dinner theater: The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000.
Carrot Top Revectorized by Kna@DeviantArt
Sunshine and Celery Stalks Tribute by Bronytoss@DeviantArt
Gustav by Kas92@DeviantArt
Happy Chef Dashie by Morphemic@DeviantArt
Chef Applebloom by Dasaq9537@DeviantArt
Pinkie Pie Smile by Lolke12@DeviantArt
So Cute We'll Blow Your Mind by Takua770@DeviantArt
Spike's New Costume by Andy18@DeviantArt
Makin' Bakin' by Egophiliac@DeviantArt
Berry Punch Shopping by RegnbogsRus@DeviantArt
"The Most Interesting Man in the World" Dos Equis theme by GrimmJohn Bendezu@SoundCloud
"Pinball Wizard" by Pete Townsend / The Who
Clips from "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" © Hasbro Studios
Clips from "The Two Towers" © New Line Cinema
DustyKatt -- The Manliest Chef in the World
Caerdwyn -- The Manliest Director and Producer in the World
Caerdwyn -- The Sexiest Voiceover in the World
DustyKatt and Caerdwyn -- The Manliest Editors in the World
DustyKatt's Moustache -- The Manliest Upper Lip in the World
DustyKatt, Dave Bryant, Some Random Bum -- The Hungriest Bronies in the World
Standard YouTube License