Ralph Richardson - Russell Harty TV Show (2)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 16, 2009
(Part 2 of 6)
English actor Sir Ralph Richardson talks with host Russell Harty on the London Weekend Television show from September 26, 1975. Richardson tells an anecdote about his surprising recitation of lines from Macaulay's The Lays of Ancient Rome as a schoolboy. He also discusses Harold Pinter's play, No Man's Land, in which he was then appearing with Sir John Gielgud at the National Theatre. The two men also talk about acting, dreams, and nightmares.
Richardson, although primarily a stage actor, was known for lead roles in classic films, such as Carol Reed's The Fallen Idol and Sidney Lumet's Long Day's Journey into Night, as well as important character parts in films such as Doctor Zhivago, The Four Feathers, Things to Come, Time Bandits, and Dragonslayer.
His friend and fellow actor, Sir John Gielgud, once wrote about him (reprinted in John Miller's Ralph Richardson: The Authorized Biography):
"A consummate craftsman, endlessly painstaking in every detail where his work was concerned, he was something of a perfectionist in many fields outside the theatre...He loved to discuss his motor-bikes and cars, his clocks and pets, to argue about films and plays he had been to see...I think he was fundamentally a shy man, and in his later years he cultivated a certain delightfully eccentric vagueness, especially when he was cornered by strangers or failed to greet someone he had not noticed. Once, when an understudy whom he had never seen before went on for one of the two supporting parts in No Man's Land, Ralph absentmindedly congratulated the stagehand who happened to be standing near him after the curtain fell. But actually he was intensely observant and extremely farseeing...He could give delightfully comic advice...How sadly I miss his cheerful voice on the telephone..."
Standard YouTube License
- 10:56 Sherlock Holmes "Red-Headed League" 2 - Ralph Richardsonby Old Movies, TV & Radio ShowsFeatured 4,731
- 6:43 Ralph Richardson - Russell Harty TV Show (3)by rmm413d 3,647 views
- 6:21 Ralph Richardson - Russell Harty TV Show (1)by rmm413d 7,577 views
- 6:37 Ralph Richardson - Russell Harty (6 - Keats' Ode to Autumn)by Old Movies, TV & Radio Shows 8,623 views
- 5:37 Ralph Richardson - Russell Harty TV Show (4)by rmm413d 2,887 views
- 7:05 Ralph Richardson - Russell Harty TV Show (5)by Old Movies, TV & Radio Shows 3,435 views
- 1:30:10 The Βŗọwnịng Version (I95I)by thethirdman19494u 45,204 views
- 5:54 What's my Line? Peter Lorreby NorbertR33 116,578 views
- 1:29 Spike Milligan interviewed by Russel Harty 1974by pwright0 211,641 views
- 10:00 Q Planes - Part 2 (Laurence Olivier, Richardson - Movie)by rmm413d 4,243 views
- 7:36 Sherlock Holmes "Empty House" 1 - Ralph Richardson, John Gielgudby Old Movies, TV & Radio Shows 5,251 views
- 8:43 Q Planes - Part 1 (Laurence Olivier, Ralph Richardson - Movie)by rmm413d 8,752 views
- 6:17 What's My Line? - Anthony Quinn (1963, TV Show)by rmm413d 41,050 views
- 10:01 Peter Ustinov Interview 4by CountPierreBezukhov 24,877 views
- 14:41 Richard Burton on The Dick Cavett Show pt. 1by BigCountryJASon 89,739 views
- 8:55 Sherlock Holmes "Empty House" 2 - John Gielgud, Richardsonby Old Movies, TV & Radio Shows 2,423 views
- 1:20:12 The Ghoul (1933)by TheHorrorsOfHammer 7,451 views
- 5:31 Sir John Gielgud in "Arthur" (1981)by MrFotakias 27,150 views
- 10:01 Lena Zavaroni Singing Some Of These Days & Interview On The Russel Harty Show 1976by Lena Zavaroni 6,854 views
- 1:23 Greystoke - Christopher Lambert ... Sir Ralph Richardsonby Kalikky Films Inc. 2012 4,269 views
- Loading more suggestions...