Afternoons in Stereo - Soul Sugar (Video Clip)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 13, 2012
Afternoons in Stereo -- Soul Sugar
Catalogue No: TMDG 106
Release Date: 20 August 2012
Media: Digital & Special Edition CDR -- Virtual Vinyl
After a well-earned hiatus, Canada's Afternoons In Stereo returns with an astounding EP of new music that will immensely satisfy fans old and new, embracing the sounds of modern jazz and electronic funk while driving the musical momentum forward with both fervency and focus.
The title track, 'Soul Sugar', sees Afternoons In Stereo going deep into breaks-driven territory. Groovy organ and lush rhodes keys rise to the center point, the nexus where the saxophone descends into a shudder of feedback and distortion before returning to the addictive groove. With a nod to classic hip-hop stylings, the song takes it's mesmerizing aural palette and laces it with a dose of old-school funk reminiscent of classic instrumental hip-hop in the vein of The Beastie Boys, Madlib, and RJD2. A forward-thinking groover, 'Soul Sugar' sets the bar high for what follows.
On 'Driving To Montenegro' we hear Afternoons In Stereo continue to explore more organic instrumentation and recording while working within the parameters of digital production. Musicians jamming together in a room is what gathers at the core of the tune, where funky guitars wiggle-waggle and a warm organ underpins the whole affair before ascending alongside some sterling horn work and stellar live drums. Fans of the last two Afternoons In Stereo albums will see a logical evolution here, as the producer continues to uniquely explore the point where contemporary electronic-based music fuses with a more traditional, 70's-influenced funk.
Followers know that one of the hallmarks of the Afternoons In Stereo sound is jazz, and it's these attributes and traits that get bent into new shapes and forms on 'Blow'. A moody piece in the tradition of classic downtempo and nujazz, the song brings an almost European sensibility that conjures to mind rainy cobblestone streets and late-night conspiracy under the foggy haze of gaslights. Upright bass and some extensive horn solo's lay down the jazz foundation alongside rolling organs and seductive flute, while hushed jazz drums keep the rhythm off-kilter before erupting into a flurry of ride-cymbal and snare. Some genuine authentic synthetic hybrid, indeed! The overall cinematic undertone brings to mind the style and intrigue of classic film noir, rendered in deep shades of black and white with passion, lust, and just a hint of menace.
Finally, to close out the new EP we're proud to have Hannover-based producer Mr Confuse. He brings his distinct production skills to reworking 'Driving To Montenegro'. Mr Confuse has quickly established himself as a talented and in-demand producer in the funk/breaks arena. Here, he inverts the original track and wraps it around a hypnotic organ riff and new rhythm track that's all swing and bounce. With a subtle funk, the remix moves from spare swagger and snap to a deeper, spacier groove that incorporates new instrumentation including sax and accordion. Stripping the original tune down to it's sexy core, Mr Confuse brings a completely distinct interpretation to the track, opening it up to an alternate version that perfectly compliments the original.
Afternoons In Stereo follows up this EP with a new full-length collection of remixes in late 2012 and a brand new studio LP in winter 2013!
All songs mastered by Angelos Timewarp Stoumpos.
File Under: BROKEN BEAT / NU JAZZ / FUNK / SOUL
PRE ORDER THIS RELEASE IN MP3 & CDR
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Soul Sugar" on
Afternoons in Stereo
- 50 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 6:25 The Shaolin Afronauts - Kilimanjaroby Jeff NeedhamFeatured 5,257
- 55:20 Nu Jazz Anthology Part.02 DJ. Jerry 05/2012by gerhard trinkler 15,293 views
- 1:31 WDYDWYD @ Burningmanby jan beddegenoodts 146,950 views
- 17:10 Motown Memories with Smokey Robinsonby DiscoNights1987 15,005 views
- 1:49:38 Romantic Bossa Nova Beat! Long Versionby Damir Koren 26,227 views
- 4:26 Sugar hill gang - Rappers Delight Liveby nedmann 46,085 views
- 10:56 Funky side of town - Hot Pants Road Club "Grand Funk Orchestra"by HotPantsRoadClub 11,369 views
- 7:43 Luke Vibert - Get Your Head Downby KINGPOOLFC 24,333 views
- 4:10 French Lounge Music- Lemongrass - Bonjourby smarties288 2,834,736 views
- 1:01 Little Empire Soul Flurryby pjsulaiman717 1,260 views
- 20:07 Best Of Motown Part 2by Arturo Laurel 234,547 views
- 5:57 Amon Tobin - Bridgeby CronicDryEyes 7,628 views
- 3:24 Bill Fay - Screams In The Ears - 1970by nightsbefore 26,173 views
- 3:23 Tyron Ricketts feat. Mic Donet-Weltenreiterby MakerMusik2011 24,235 views
- 5:18 Amon Tobin - Toysby flyingtrackerz22 2,215 views
- 1:14:27  Soulman - Soulman Plays The Hitsby TrickyMicky71 392 views
- 4:04 Niles philips - Ill At Ease(AUditors DOmination Remix)by Giannis Chamalis 6,312 views
- 6:02 The Prodigy - Their Law (Metal Cover)by foyboy21 3,876 views
- 5:54 Utah Jazz - River Theme (feat. Atlantic Connection) [HD]by DnbNeuro 5,059 views
- 1:30:16 Funk, Soul, Groove Mix 1982 - 1986 With The Whispers, Cheryl Lynn, D-Train, Roy Ayers, And moreby ranking070 29,021 views
- Loading more suggestions...