This video is unavailable.
- Startups - Neal Sales-Griffin of Code Academy - TWiST #230
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 7, 2012
0:00-1:30 We're here today with Neal Sales-Griffin of Code Academy.
1:30-2:30 Welcome back Tyler. How's it been going?
2:30-3:00 If you still haven't joined the TWiST Backchannel, go to twistlist.co to sign up.
3:00-4:30 Thank you to GoToMeeting for sponsoring the show. Everyone thank them @gotomeeting.
4:30-7:30 If you haven't heard about the LAUNCH Festival, check it out here: launch.is. It's not too late to get your tickets!
7:30-10:00 Insight from Tyler: Launch is like an Asian girl with double Ds.
10:00-11:00 Neal, what's the mission at Code Academy?
11:00-11:45 What's the difference between you and Codeacademy?
11:45-13:30 How much do people pay to join and what do they get?
13:30-14:00 How do you make a profit?
14:00-15:30 What kinds of people are joining the program?
15:30-17:00 What do I need to know before I come in to Code Academy?
17:00-19:30 What can a student accomplish in an eleven week course?
19:30-21:00 Are there jobs in the US for average coders, or do you have to be elite?
21:00-22:45 Do you think what you're doing could help menial workers acquire a new skill and get a better job?
22:45-26:00 In minority communities, how is becoming a developer looked at?
26:00-28:00 Thank you to Walker Corporate Law for supporting the show. If you need at lawyer, call Scott at 310-288-6667.
28:00 Pricing models debated
28:00-31:30 What if you put people on a payment plan or charged a placement fee for the companies that hire students afterwards?
31:30-33:00 Do you ask your students to build real-world tools uning APIs?
33:00- Do you think that internships are a screwed up concept legally?
34:45-36:00 Out of your contemporaries coming out of Northwestern, how many do you think have a job?
36:00-37:30 Have you raised money for this yet? Are you planning to?
37:30-38:15 Let's take a Shark Tank call.
38:15-39:30 Adriana Herrara of Fashioning Change makes her pitch.
40:30-42:00 You had good energy and that came through in the pitch.
42:00-42:30 Jason gives the presentation an 8 and the business model a 7.
42:30-44:00 Neal, what did you think of the pitch?
44:00-45:00 This "search everything" is a little too much. I would rather have a daily email or offering.
45:00-46:00 Tyler, bias aside, what did you think?
46:00-48:00 How many of you would buy an American-made bag that you knew was cruelty free?
48:00-48:30 Jason: I'm lowering your presentation to a 6 because you have tons of great features that you didn't bring up.
48:30-50:00 Tyler gives the pitch a 7, but says it could easily be a 9.
50:00-51:30 What's the youngest age someone should be allowed to work?
51:30-53:00 Tyler gives Adriana's business model an 8.5.
53:00-55:00 Adriana explains her competitive advantages.
55:00-55:15 Thank you for pitching us today, Adriana. You've won a free table at the Launch Festival!
55:15-56:00 Neal, when are you launching in a second city?
56:00-59:00 Jason proposes a business deal to Neal.
59:00-1:01:00 You're in a race right now with all of these other schools, Neal.
1:01:00-1:04:45 Neal, you're invited to come be my guest and have a table at the conference and all of the Code Academy alumni get a free ticket.
1:04:45-1:05:45 Jason demos a video about quadrotors (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQIMGV...).
1:05:45-1:06:00 Everyone check at Code Academy, follow Neal on Twitter @nealsales and apply for the next class!
Support This Week in Startups and independent media by joining the TWiST Producer Program at TwistList.co!
Multilingual? Translate this episode of TWiST into another language and email the transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep up with the latest from our sister company, LAUNCH:
We Need to Empower Hollywood--Not Kill Hollywood
WOW: TechStars to Accept a LAUNCH Festival Startup!
Demo Pit Tables @ LAUNCH
Chill Gets More Social but Ditches Live Rooms Feature
LAUNCH Festival Judges and Grand Jury Members: Robert Scoble, Tony Hsieh, Tony Conrad and More
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
Walker Corporate Law: @scottedwalker
twi, this week in, network, new, media, web, tv, entertainment, shows, this week in startups, Jason Calacanis, startups, twist, twistartups, code academy, neal sales-griffin, web development, web design, course, chicago, education
Next in - Startups: Season 3 Episodes
- 1:27:50 - Startups - News Panel with Adeo Ressi and Ryan Block - TWiST #227by ThisWeekIn 3,407 views
- 1:12:58 - Startups - Chamath Palihapitiya of The Social+Capital Partnership - TWiST #238by ThisWeekIn 8,339 views
- 56:10 - Startups - Gary Vaynerchuk of VaynerMediaby ThisWeekIn 14,636 views
- 1:19:22 - Startups - Kevin Rose of Milk - TWiST #218by ThisWeekIn 17,492 views
- 1:23:56 - Startups - News with Sean Percival and James Altucher - TWiST #223by ThisWeekIn 3,256 views
- 1:25:10 - Startups - Ryan Carson of Carsonified and Treehouse- TWiST #198by ThisWeekIn 5,984 views
- 1:16:31 - Startups - News Roundtable with Peter Pham and Marshall Kirkpatrick - TWiST #221by ThisWeekIn 2,875 views
- 12 videos Play all TEDxLakeshoreEast - 09/11/11by TEDxTalks
- 1:16:32 Dave Morin of Path - TWiST #216by ThisWeekIn 7,281 views
- 1:20:58 Kevin Systrom of Instagram- TWiST #196by ThisWeekIn 10,005 views
- 1:57 1871 Opening (Client)by Jasculca Terman 545 views
- 1:14 David Cameron visits 1871 (Client)by Jasculca Terman 1,014 views
- 1:03:33 Napoleon Hill Think and Grow Rich (Rare Live Recording)by Marco Delsalto 55,195 views
- 53:18 - Startups - Bill Nguyen, Co-founder of Color.comby ThisWeekIn 15,941 views
- 51:57 - Startups - Kevin Fliess of Room 77 - TWiST #228by ThisWeekIn 2,014 views
- 1:12:20 - Startups - Chris Sacca of Lowercase Capital - TWiST #291by ThisWeekIn 20,302 views
- 1:11:14 - Startups - Patents Special - TWiST #201by ThisWeekIn 4,345 views
- 52:23 - Startups - All Ask Jason - TWiST #236by ThisWeekIn 1,555 views
- 33:41 This Week in Sales - The Most Important Word in Sales is 'Next'by ThisWeekIn 23,897 views
- 1:03:29 - Startups - Kevin O'Connor of FindTheBest - TWiST #234by ThisWeekIn 3,139 views