Transforming NYC Schools | The New School
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 21, 2010
THE NEW SCHOOL | http://www.newschool.edu
Putting Principals to the Test: Transforming NYC Schools in the Age of Data-Driven Accountability.
Moderated by Clara Hemphill, senior editor at the
Center for New York City Affairs | http://newschool.edu/milano/nycaffairs
The Bloomberg administration has introduced a radical new system of school management, giving principals more freedom in exchange for the promise of better test scores and graduation rates. Crucial to this plan are test-based accountability systems, which focus attention on struggling learners. At the same time, the traditional oversight by superintendents is gone. Does this strategy build better schools? What has been gained, lost, and learned? The Center for New York City Affairs will release an analysis of these influential and controversial reforms at the conference, which they are sponsoring.
Milano The New School for Management and Urban Policy | http://www.newschool.edu/milano
Introductory remarks by Merryl Tisch, Chancellor, New York State Board of Regents.
Ms. Tisch will then join in a discussion with:
- John Garvey, former dean of the Teacher Academy and Collaborative Programs, City University of New York.
- Ramón González, principal of MS 223, The Laboratory School of Finance and Technology in the Bronx.
- Shael Polakow-Suransky, deputy chancellor for Performance and Accountability, NYC Department of Education.
- Jacqueline Wayans, member of the Community Education Council, Bronx District 10.
Supported by the Robert Sterling Clark Foundation, United Way of New York City, the New York Community Trust, the Sirus Fund, and the Ira W. DeCamp Foundation.
*Location: Tishman Auditorium, Alvin Johnson/J. M. Kaplan Hall.
06/16/2010 8:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:48:10 DREAM Activists and the Immigrant Rights Movement | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School680 views
- 1:44:33 Pass or Fail: Whats Next for New York City's High Schools? | The New Schoolby The New School974 views
- 1:50:12 Combating Youth Violence | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School686 views
- 1:44:18 Capitalism Hits the Fan Film Screening and Q&A with Professor Richard Wolff | The New Schoolby The New School53,539 views
- 1:06:57 Parent Advocates in the Child Welfare System - Part 2 | The New Schoolby The New School368 views
- 1:33:07 Struggling Schools, Hard Times | The New Schoolby The New School357 views
- 1:28:54 Tim Gunn at The New School: Quality, Taste, and Styleby The New School12,244 views
- 2:00:13 Cities Respond to Climate Change | The New Schoolby The New School626 views
- 3 videos Play all leaders of thenew schoolby 007mas
- 1:49:26 The Anatomy of Campaign Finance | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School332 views
- 1:36:19 Black Female Voices: A public dialogue between bell hooks and Melissa Harris-Perry | The New Schoolby The New School9,208 views
- 1:20:25 The Plundered Planet with Paul Collier | The New Schoolby The New School3,849 views
- 1:17:08 Nestor Kirchner at The New School: Latin America Rising (Spanish Language Version)by The New School3,227 views
- 54:46 A Conversation with U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan | The New Schoolby The New School934 views
- 1:15:07 A Lecture by President of Ecuador Rafael Correa (Spanish) | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School23,734 views
- 30:16 Gunnar Sigurdsson at The New Schoolby The New School778 views
- 2:01:28 School Food Matters | The New Schoolby The New School1,798 views
- 1:38:00 The Painful Price of Medicaid | The New Schoolby The New School757 views
- 1:31:52 Does Philosophy Still Matter? | The New Schoolby The New School52,191 views
- 1:28:04 Parent Advocates in the Child Welfare System - Part 1 | The New Schoolby The New School578 views