Civil Disobedience at WI Joint Finance Committee hearing 6-02-11 (Pt 1)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 2, 2011
June 2, 2011 Voces de la Frontera, community and faith leaders, and public educators all engage in a non-civil disobedience in the Joint Finance Committee hearing at the State Capitol in Madison, to halt passage of the state budget, and demand restoration of the cuts to eduction and in-state tuition for immigrant youth.
Video: Voces de la Frontera
Joined by hundreds of supporters, a coalition of parents, students, educators, teaching assistants and members of the interfaith community were dragged from a public Joint Finance Committee hearing while reading statements calling for economic and educational justice.
Kicking off the action were four prominent community leaders: Jesus Salas, former UW Regent; Larry Miller, Director on the Milwaukee Public School Board; Al Levie, Racine high school teacher and REA union member; and Christine Neumann-Ortíz, Voces de la Frontera executive director.
The disruption stopped the committee for an extended period of time as police carried off speaker after speaker, who refused to let injustice and austerity become law without resistance.
For three months the JFC has railroaded their vision of a deeply unequal Wisconsin through the budget process.
They have disregarded widespread opposition to their proposed cuts to education, environment, workers, healthcare and other vital public services. Today the Republicans on the committee delayed the hearing for 5 hours, afraid to face the public backlash.
Inspired by the direct action taken by the coalition, an interfaith community rally on the Capitol steps spontaneously marched inside to further disrupt the JFC hearing.
Led by Minister Greg Lewis of St Gabriel's Church of God and Christ, Rev Willie Brisco of MICAH, and Rabbi Renee Bauer of the Interfaith Coalition for Worker Justice, this crowd of 200 packed the hallway, sang, and held a prayer service outside the locked committee room. The spontaneous decision to take up direct action signals Wisconsinites desire to escalate the struggle.
The call has been raised for Wisconsinities to take direct action and civil disobedience to stop the vote on Walker's budget.
It is imperative for us to return to the Capitol to continue to take action against the passage of this destructive budget. The action today is a call to you to join us at the Joint Finance Committee meeting tomorrow and every day that it reconvenes.
STATEMENT READ BY EACH PARTICIPANT IN TODAY'S ACTION
Senator Darling and Senator Vos:
You are complicit in moving Governor Walker's anti-public education budget forward.
We are here today to vehemently oppose this education budget and the process by which you have rammed this budget forward. Holding four public hearings in remote areas during work and school hours is not democracy.
Slashing funds for public education and removing the ability for undocumented students to pay instate tuition rates is mean spirited and immoral.
We demand that public education dollars be restored and that all students living in our state pay in-state tuition rates.
You are taking from the poor to give to the rich. Your actions are unconscionable. Shame on you. You take food out of the mouths of children by cutting reduced breakfast programs while at the same time transferring public money from public schools through an expanded voucher program for the education of wealthy families.
This budget is a budget of the have nots and the have mores.
You are destroying the American Dream for working class and immigrant children in our state.
You justify your actions claiming there is not enough money. You justify your actions claiming immigrant children are taking limited resources from US citizen children.
These claims are unfounded. You refuse to implement a fair taxation for large corporations and the wealthy that would address the budget gap—that is not even that big. You are willing to deny opportunity to immigrant youth who are struggling to study hard to achieve college admission and pay their own way.
You are violating the norms of a civilized society when you invest more in incarceration than in public education.
You promised job creation, yet your budget forces school districts to give pink slips to teachers, school nurses, educational assistants, teaching assistants, social workers, maintenance workers, food workers, among many others.
You promise job creation yet you undermine our ability to produce an educated, diverse, and talented workforce.
To the people of Wisconsin, join us—it is our duty as citizens to resist the passage and implementation of this unjust budget.
Unjust government shall not stand.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:59 Civil Disobedience at WI Joint Finance Committee hearing 6-02-11 (Pt 2)by VDLFPSA864 views
- 16:06 Anarchist Adam Kokesh Fraud Exposed By Own Team Membersby Bobby Powell42,135 views
- 12:05 Adam Kokesh Arrested at Smoke Down Prohibition: Joint Summit with President Choomby AdamKokesh46,239 views
- 5:38 POLICE BRUTALITY - Adam Kokesh Bodyslammed By Cops For Dancing At Jefferson Memorialby UrbanWarfareChannel530,638 views
- 8:46 Adam Kokesh verbally body slams, chokes out cops at White House #KOKESHEDby AdamKokesh163,895 views
- 30:38 Adam Kokesh Post Lockup Interviewby HoustonFreeThinkers4,616 views
- 2:10 Message to Adam Kokesh The Freedom Movement & Those Practicing Civil Disobedienceby James Cox542 views
- 43:12 Der Feind im Haus - Wenn aus Kindern Nazis werdenby Matze394,335 views
- 14:57 Disruption and Civil Disobedience in Joint Finance, People Having A Voice... 06-2-11!! SHARE!!by Segway Jeremy Ryan2,795 views
- 9:40 Kathy Nickolaus County Clerk Press Conference on Supreme Court Vote Results pt1by Chad Sears3,571 views
- 7:45 An Interfaith Vigil: PRAYERS FOR PEACE IN TIBETby VajraTV: Global Buddhist Television Netowkr2,665 views
- 8:50 Proof: Freedom of the Press is Almost Deadby TheAlexJonesChannel143,037 views
- 6:22 Obama's Campaign for President of the Harvard Law Reviewby Phil Kulak140,526 views
- 5:50 Adam curses at police officer in civil disobedience & gets away with itby AdamKokesh48,245 views
- 43:50 Sin Dios - Guerra a la guerra (1997) (Álbum)by MrTofus10,925 views
- 2:37 LWS: Civil Disobidience, Police Harrasment (part1) DO NOT RIDE YOUR BIKE UNLESS I ALLOW YOU TO!by LibertarianWithSwagg11,497 views
- 6:20 Civil Disobedience at Wisconsin Joint Committee on Finance (JCF) meeting 06-02-11 Part 1by mrhomes204672 views
- 3:58 People React to Adam Kokesh's Release #N3by NextNewsNetwork10,327 views
- 5:34 Jim Rogers - Why Is George Soros Selling Gold and Silver? (CNBC May 11, 2011)by thejimrogersblog58,076 views
- 55:57 Neonazis : Ultraderecha en España - Reportaje televisivo en españolby Nefesh Lewit62,603 views
- Loading more suggestions...