TEDxPasadena - Ellen Snortland - We all need to be safe before we can thrive
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 27, 2011
Think Globally, Act Locally: there is nothing more local than your own body. Ellen Snortland explores the idea of having physical self-defense education as common as traffic or food safety training but with unexpected cultural benefits.
Ms. Snortland has her J.D. from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles and her B.A. in theater and film from UCI. She is a human rights activist, author, broadcast journalist, actor and writing/media coach for writers and authors.
A regular columnist for the Pasadena Weekly, she blogs for Ms. and Huffington Post. Ellen has been a journalist and NGO delegate to two major United Nations World Conferences: the 4th World Conference on Women in Beijing in 1995 and the World Conference Against Racism in Durban, South Africa, in 2001.
She's currently on the boards of IMPACT Personal Safety of Los Angeles, 50-50 Leadership, and Consumer Watchdog.
Snortland is the author of "Beauty Bites Beast," featured on Dateline NBC, and the up-coming book, "The Safety Godmother," co-authored with Lisa Gaeta. Snortland wrote and performs a solo show "Now That She's Gone" nominated for a Pulitzer for Drama..
About TEDx: In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.* (*Subject to certain rules and regulations)
Standard YouTube License
- 14:41 TEDxDiliman - Patricia Evangelista - Why We Tell Storiesby TEDxTalks13,755 views
- 17:28 How to learn to love: Dessislava Boshnakova at TEDxNBUby TEDxTalks1,769 views
- 13:21 The Skill of Self Confidence: Dr. Ivan Joseph at TEDxRyersonUby TEDxTalks723,183 views
- 14:43 Stress And The Brain: JaimeTartar at TEDxNSUby TEDxTalks10,934 views
- 13:22 From fables to labels: Urvashi Rangan at TEDxManhattanby TEDxTalks6,935 views
- 21:14 TEDxPSU - Bruce Schneier - Reconceptualizing Securityby TEDxTalks26,374 views
- 22:38 TEDxKnoxville - Austin Church - Learning to Love Failureby TEDxTalks2,169 views
- 19:58 TEDxHonolulu - Dr. Ho Leung Ng - How This Chemist Fights Cancerby TEDxTalks473 views
- 11:57 TEDxHampshireCollege - Jay Smooth - How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Discussing Raceby TEDxTalks119,889 views
- 18:48 TEDxDirigo - Roger Doiron - A Subversive Plot: How to Grow a Revolution in Your Own Backyardby TEDxTalks128,464 views
- 15:27 TEDxTbilisi - David Lordkipanidze - The First Humans Out of Africaby TEDxTalks5,131 views
- 18:11 Forget what you know: Jacob Barnett at TEDxTeenby TEDxTalks2,319,575 views
- 14:04 TEDxWomen -- Gloria Steinem and Salamishah Tilletby TEDxTalks17,479 views
- 16:55 TEDxWomen -- Jennifer Siebel Newsomby TEDxTalks177,851 views
- 16:28 Why The Sky Looks Blue: Mohamed Mamdouh at TEDxAUCby TEDxTalks11,878 views
- 17:57 How to find and do work you love: Scott Dinsmore at TEDxGoldenGatePark (2D)by TEDxTalks1,016,704 views
- 8:16 TEDxBrainport 2012 - Jeffrey van der Veer - Safety through leadershipby TEDxTalks1,644 views
- 17:28 TEDxPasadena - Sourena Vasseghiby TEDxTalks518 views
- 8:04 TEDxNewy 2011 - Ukastle Ukestra -- Australia's leading ukulele orchestraby TEDxTalks2,811 views
- 7:00 TEDxFruitvale - José Gutierrez - Leaving the Fields Behindby TEDxTalks926 views