Cricket highlights 1899-1938(W.G.Grace, Ranjithsinghji, Jack hobbs, Don Bradman, len hutton)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 25, 2012
"The Lord's Taverners present 'Cricket Highlights' Commentary written by Michael Melford and spoken by E.W. Swanton."
L/S of Lord's Cricket Ground - a match in progress. C/U of batsman "England's young and very successful captain" (not named but probably Peter May). 1899 footage of the "Lord's Taverners and their ladies" - a panning shot of spectators in the stand. The film's narrator describes how this documentary will show 60 years of cricketing history "From W.G. Grace to Peter May, Boer War to Cold War, Penny Farthing to Sputnik...the highlights of yesterday, of the rich period between the wars."
W.G. Grace is seen practising in the nets. We then see Ranji in the crease. C/U of Jacks Hobbs, he smiles and laughs at the camera. Ranji "47 and rather plump" walks out onto the pitch (Kumar Shri Ranjitsinhji). We see him walking off again: "in this hurried new world, even he didn't stay too long."
Various shots of cricketers in action: Jack Hobbs, Frank Woolley and Percy George Fender.
C/Us of members of the 1921 Australian team: Warwick Armstrong, Herbie Collins, (Horseshoe Collins), Arthur Mailey and Jack Gregory.
Leeds - M/S of two men in suits smoking pipes standing on the pitch. Lionel Tennyson loses the toss. The teams walk onto the pitch. M/S of Bardsley and Tommy Andrews (Australian team) walking out onto the pitch. Top shots of the large crowds watching the match.
Shot of a game in progress - the South African team at Lord's in 1924. Herbie Taylor's team are presented by their captain to King George V - good shot of them shaking hands.
M/S of the King speaking to Herbie Taylor on the pitch. Jack Hobbs and Herbert Sutcliffe are described as a "formidable new partnership" over footage of their play. M/S of the pair walking onto the pitch in Australia. Large crowds welcome the British team home after their victory.
Lord's - various footage of new grandstands being built (1926?) to meet the enormous demand for seats. The board of control met to appoint test selectors - panning shot of the men seated around a table in the board room. Lord Harris was present.
High angle shots of crowds at the Oval - everyone dressed in their Sunday best.
Australian team's visit in 1930. M/S of Percy Chapman and Bill Woodfull walking out onto the pitch to toss. Crowds applaud. Woodfull leads the Australian team out onto the pitch. The commentator relates the story of the match over footage of Hobbs and Woolley walking out onto the pitch. Various shots of the match in progress. Kumar Shri Duleepsinhji ("Duleep") is featured, as is Woolley. C/U of Don Bradman. High angle shots of Bradman playing at Leeds Cricket Ground - Headingley. Narrator lists names of all the bowlers including Harold Larwood, Richard Tyldesley, Maurice Tate.
Australia 1933 - various footage of Adelaide match. Woodfull gets hit by a fast bowl then loses his bat. Bradman ducks to miss a fast ball. High angle shots of the match "probably the most unpleasant ever played." (Presumably this is the bodyline series).
1938 - the Oval, Len Hutton reaches an historic 364. John Fingleton hobbles off with a strained muscle. Bill O'Reilly bowls. High angle of crowds applauding. Funny shot of a large man trying to squeeze through the "Ladies Gate" to see the climax of the innings. He tries to climb over the turnstile to get in.
Hutton "goes on and on and on" to pass Bradman's score of 8 years before. M/S of crowd applauding. Bradman shakes Hutton's hand in congratulation. The players stop for refreshments. "They pause for drinks inside, no such good fortune outside." M/S of the large man seen earlier trying to get into a pub ("The Cricketers") - the door is locked. Bradman bowls and twists an ankle - he is carried off. Australia lose the match. C/U of the scoreboard. Footage of Bill Edrich and Denis Compton batting. Crowds invade the pitch as match ends. High angle shot of the large crowds.
Standard YouTube License
- 25:36 Legends of Cricket - Vivian Richards [Full Version]by sunzoomassFeatured 1,699
- 1:46 WEST INDIES OPEN TOUR 1966(Wesley hall, Gary sobers, ken barrington, kanhai)by suda chakri 16,107 views
- 2:32 Ellyse Perry's Quest | In the Proud Tradition of Cricketby cricketaustraliatv 121,308 views
- 1:09 Don Bradman Sachin Tendulkar batting side by sideby U2one100 11,660 views
- 4:40 Jack Hobbs - ESPN Legends Of Cricket No. 5 (Part 1)by Bublu Bhuyan 3,757 views
- Donald Bradman 485 videos17
- 2:02 Bradman net practiceby suda chakri 10,574 views
- 10:50 Rare video of jack Hobbs and sutcliffe battingby suda chakri 5,763 views
- 14:02 The Greatest Innings of Brian Laraby Sovik Haque 360,754 views
- 22:32 Legends of Cricket - Sir Donald Bradman [Full Version]by sunzoomass 1,032 views
- 2:51 Backyard Cricket Highlights 2011 HDby Maxibon6528 26,036 views
- 6:30 Shane Warne - ESPN Legends Of Cricket No. 4 (Part 1)by Bublu Bhuyan 25,876 views
- 2:47 Sir Donald Bradman speaks on Sachin Tendulkarby Bublu Bhuyan 226,208 views
- 54:46 Bradman XI vs World XI 2nd Inningby CorneredTiger1992 48,438 views
- 2:39 Cheating Australians - Classic Commentary by a livid Sunil Gavaskarby kapurprem's channel 470,159 views
- 5:56 Don Bradmanby Devesh Gole 161,024 views
- 2:43 ENGLAND PRAYS FOR RAIN AT MANCHESTER TO SAVE MATCH AGAINST BRADMAN TEAMby suda chakri 3,102 views
- 11:00 World Cricket Records - First Speed Test Competition In Cricket Historyby Saud Al Faysal 174,480 views
- 1:38 England win the 4th Test vs West Indies 1968 (Trinidad)by madbob73 24,537 views
- 29:29 Innings Of The Year - Sir Vivian Richards Ft. Michael Holding Sir Ian Botham ect..wmvby RasParchie 32,887 views
- 1:37 Fred Trueman - Englands greatest ever fast bowlerby madbob73 86,869 views
- Loading more suggestions...