This video is unavailable.
437. I Was Only Nineteen (John Schumann)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 24, 2008
This is the last video in my series of songs about the Vietnam War.
Also known as "Only Nineteen" or "A Walk in the Light Green" this song is about the experience of soldiers who fought in the Vietnam War, from their training in Australia,through the horrors of jungle combat to the final return home to face disillusionment, psychological wounds and the effects of Agent Orange.
Released as a single in 1983, and also included on the live album "Caught in the Act", this was the biggest hit for the Australian folk group, Redgum. A number one hit, it remained in the Australian top forty for four months, and is considered one of the thirty best Australian songs of all time.
Band member, John Schumann, based the song on the experience of Vietnam veterans he had talked to, particularly his brother-in-law, Mick Storen.
Royalties for the song go to the Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia.
The following glossary is based on information from Wikipedia:
* ANZAC: Australia and New Zealand Army Corps.
* Canungra: Jungle warfare training centre in Queensland's Gold Coast hinterland.
* Channel 7: An Australian commercial television network.
* Chinook: A military helicopter.
* Contact!: The call made by soldiers upon encounter with enemy to the immediate front (Contact Front) or rear (Contact Rear) of the line of march.
* Dusted off: Evacuated by helicopter ambulance.
* Greens: Jungle Green, the field uniform worn by the Australian Army between the early 1960s and 1989.
* Light green: parts on a map showing supposedly safer areas to patrol as the foliage was less dense - but, in fact, more likely to be mined.
* Nui Dat: Village in Ba Ria province in South Vietnam, which was the main base of Australian Task Force 1 from 1965 to 1972.
* Puckapunyal: Army recruit training centre in Victoria.
* Shoalwater: Military exercise area in Queensland.
* Sixth Battalion: Australian army battalion 6RAR, whose D Company had been involved in the Battle of Long Tan three years earlier.
* Slouch hat: Australian soldiers' parade head-dress.
* SLR:Self Loading (semi-automatic) Rifle issued to Australian soldiers during the Vietnam War.
* Townsville: City in Queensland.
* VB: Victoria Bitter, Australia's best beer.
* Vung Tau: Coastal city in South Vietnam which Australia's main logistic base and a rest area for troops based at Nui Dat.
Lyrics and chords of this song can be found here: http://raymondfolk.wetpaint.com/page/...
You can see a playlist of my Australian songs here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list...
For lyrics and chords of all my songs, please see my website:
Standard YouTube License
- 2:47 350. The Pub With No Beer (Dan Sheahan and Gordon Parsons)by raymondcrooke 35,291 views
- 2:53 151. Botany Bay (Henry Stephens and William Yardley)by raymondcrooke 49,471 views
- 4:05 459. Little Boy Lost (Johnny Ashcroft cover)by raymondcrooke 5,574 views
- 3:57 482. Click go the Shears (Traditional Australian)by raymondcrooke 10,706 views
- 13:02 ADF-7th Brigade Homecoming Parade. Brisbane, Aus. Welcome home!by Milo Thesurfsflat 13,545 views
- 5:22 VIETNAM WAR - I WAS ONLY 19 - John Schumann & The Vagabond Crewby Carroll R. Thomas 9,767 views
- 5:18 John Schumann Waltzing Matildaby gawlerpete 11,800 views
- 18 videos Play all Australian Songsby severinosantiago
- 5:36 WALTZING MATILDA - John Schumann, Wendy Matthews & Brian Cadd, Australia Day, Live, 2009.by Carroll R. Thomas 1,500 views
- 2:50 Anzac Day 2011 'The Last Anzac'by SoldiersSettlement 8,678 views
- 6:56 The Making of "A Letter From Long Tan"by AustWarMemorial 10,744 views
- 5:06 Beyond Reason - Redgumby Shane J 4,614 views
- 2:13 Fabulon - Redgumby Shane J 13,071 views
- 7:51 I was only 19 - Coverby ShadowFhang 1,092 views
- 4:32 Redgum - I Was Only Nineteen (1983)by AustraliaMusic 2,155 views
- 8:11 "All the Way" LBJ & Harold Holtby newellgirl 6,820 views
- 8:10 6 RARby Chestybonds 1,467 views
- 5:12 John Schumann's wonderful arrangement of "Waltzing Matilda"by evansoz 1,658 views
- 5:52 Centurion tank 169039 Australian Army in Vietnam 1970-71by A Tank Driver 33,828 views
- 3:25 Anzac Day Tribute to Pte Simpson and his Donkeyby Hans Sahariv 19,654 views
- 4:42 The Herd "I WAS ONLY 19" (Live)by Moshcam 3,413 views
- Loading more suggestions...